WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The easiest, cheapest, robust stove ever?

= pop can pot + tomato paste can burner + windscreen

Faced with the task of getting 34 young Scouts backpacking stoves + pots (to only boil water), a couple hours to do it, $ones per boy not $$hundreds, BSA's alcohol fuel ban, and knowing how boys simply can't maintain or tune stuff, I combined lots of postings to create a very simple, quickly built stove consisting of:

1. Soda can (emptied by Scouts) as pot for boiling 1 cup water (it fits 1.5 cups but these are boys so you want less spilling and they eat smaller amounts.
    2. 6 oz tomato paste can (emptied for pizza) as the burner & 'pot' stand
    3. 10" tall aluminum flashing as windscreen
    4. Hexamine fuel tablet (~1 Coghlans tablet boils 1 cup water)
    5. Handkerchief, cloth, glove, pliers, etc as pot holder

Burner & Stand. Using a church key opener, punch 4 triangles on bottom of tomato paste can, plus 4-6 on top. This focuses flame upward to & around pop can and offer a bit of a standoff from the ground. The can's bottom holds the solid --> liquified fuel well. Use a long needlenose pliers to hold the can next to where you punch the hole (else can bends too much). Later, you'll burn the plastic liner outta it.

Windscreen can be many things, but aluminum flashing seems best cuz its lightweight, easily cut with scissors, leaves few sharp edges, holes punched with cheap paper hole punch, and comes in right size from Lowes, Home Depot. Foil works but tedious to maintain. Galvanized steel (HVAC duct) stronger & cheaper but edges sharp, need tin snips, and hole punched w/ a hammer & punch. Big beer cans then cut apart work, but metal is thin and not quite big enough.

On bottom of windscreen put many small holes. Roll flashing tight to fit around the pop can -- if tighter than can, then cut a 1/8" notch on top & bottom to keep it open. 10" is a bit taller than burner & can stacked, but it really keeps the heat in, protects everything when jammed into the pack, and its one less cut to make building it. (Get 10" tall flashing from Lowes, Home Depot).

Pot. No changes to pop can (pot, boiling kettle). It fits ok atop stand. Easily replaced if crushed.

Big Pot Option: A 24 Foster beer can also works fine atop the burner/stand. Leave as is to boil 2-3 cups water (with many tablets) or for more of a pot look, cut the top's inner ring (inside the lip) by scoring a knife or razor blade inside the little trough around the top ~80 times. After the top separates, press backside of knife around edge to remove sharp stuff. Wash well to remove aluminum shavings.

Light it! Put water in pop can, put fuel tab in burner, tip burner to ignite tablet with lighter, put pop can atop burner, wrap with windscreen (critical, not too tight, want flames up sides of pop can but not windscreen), watch water boil in few minutes, pour hot water into Ziploc and Cozy Cook (use a cloth or gripper to grab), blow out tab, cool, place all in plastic grocery bag for travel.

Cautions & Caveats. Despite telling boys many times, several will grab a hot can & git a bit burned. Expect to find aluminum dots from punching holes for years. Its not optimized (like many do here to eke out a few seconds less boil time or drop a gram). This is meant to be a Webelos or Boy Scout stove, simple, cheap, tough, no worries if lost, easily replaced/made by boys.

This is an awesome idea, will have to bring it to the boys in my troop! You should add pictures to make it a little more clear, but great guide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Great idea!
    I use aluminum 4" dryer duct for a windscreen. The seam that joins it is easily hooked and unhooked allowing it to be rolled tighter and stored in my pot.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Great idea!
    I use aluminum 4" dryer duct for a windscreen. The seam that joins it is easily hooked and unhooked allowing it to be rolled tighter and stored in my pot.

THAT is an excellent idea. I'm making myself one today!
    "Pips"

Images

I do not recommend it as a DIY scout project. Too many possible cut fingers. Adults have a hard time not cutting themselves while making a pop can stoves.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I don't believe there's any cutting involved here, Zelph. Though the first thing I thought when I saw "pop can" and "tomato can" was alcohol stove. It seems if I read the instructions right (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they punch holes with a standard paper punch and punch the can for ventilation with a church key opener. If I read that part right, there should be no sharp edges anyware, right? The pop can is used as is with or without the tab.

sweerek - I think what you mean to say wrt the tomato can portion is to punch holes on the side near the bottom right? You later say that the bottom of the can holds the solid-->liquefied fuel well but if you punch holes in the bottom of the can it would leak out, no?

I may have to try this with my webs. Otherwise, it will be pocket rockets and fuel cans.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I don't believe there's any cutting involved here, Zelph. Though the first thing I thought when I saw "pop can" and "tomato can" was alcohol stove. It seems if I read the instructions right (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they punch holes with a standard paper punch and punch the can for ventilation with a church key opener. If I read that part right, there should be no sharp edges anyware, right? The pop can is used as is with or without the tab.

sweerek - I think what you mean to say wrt the tomato can portion is to punch holes on the side near the bottom right? You later say that the bottom of the can holds the solid-->liquefied fuel well but if you punch holes in the bottom of the can it would leak out, no?

I may have to try this with my webs. Otherwise, it will be pocket rockets and fuel cans.

You're right, my error. The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

got my 1st grader (tiger cub scout) grandson to try making this (with much supervision) and he had no problem wit the project at all...great idea...thanks!!!

Why one stove (and pot and cup) per boy scout? Seems terribly inefficient. Cooking for a group is exactly where traditional white gas stoves reign supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Why one stove (and pot and cup) per boy scout? Seems terribly inefficient. Cooking for a group is exactly where traditional white gas stoves reign supreme.
    I agree. Your working against the patrol method. Each group of 12 should have one remote canister white gas stove and one back up of the same per group. IE (24 scouts 3 stoves. 1 per 12 & 1 backup for the group.). One metal spoon and Two 6or8 quart stainless steel pots/lids from Walmart $10/ each per 12 scouts.
    Each scout goes to Wendy's and gets a plastic spoon. And a super light bowl/plate from the Chinese restaurant. Done.

Check out the Philmont Scout ranch method of group cooking. Been there done that. It works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++