WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Here is why. 87 per cent of medical students have a great debt coming out of school. Its called oddsOctober 2013
    Medical Student Education:
    Debt, Costs, and Loan Repayment Fact Card
    Indebted Graduates, Class of 2013*
    Public
    Private
    All
    Mean
    $162,736 (↑4%)
    $181,058 (↓1%)
    $169,901 (↑2%)
    Median
    $168,000 (↑5%)
    $190,000 (↑0%)
    $175,000 (↑3%)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Here is why. 87 per cent of medical students have a great debt coming out of school. Its called oddsOctober 2013
    Medical Student Education:
    Debt, Costs, and Loan Repayment Fact Card
    Indebted Graduates, Class of 2013*
    Public
    Private
    All
    Mean
    $162,736 (↑4%)
    $181,058 (↓1%)
    $169,901 (↑2%)
    Median
    $168,000 (↑5%)
    $190,000 (↑0%)
    $175,000 (↑3%)

And as an advisor told my daughter: "Dont make it hard on yourself, take what you need to comfortably get thru. You NEVER hear a Dr. say "these medical school loans are killing me""

Oh yes you do. Increased student loans are a big problem for recent grads. It forces many into the role of employee and is changing the face of medicine. Establishing an ownership role is much harder.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Its much less of a problem for a Dr, than a fraction of that is for say...a school teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its much less of a problem for a Dr, than a fraction of that is for say...a school teacher.
    Very true. Two kids. One is each.

If I hadn't paid for the teacher's college I don't know how she would have ever dug her way out. It is typical for my son's classmates to have a 1/4 mil of debt, forcing them to work corporate upon graduation.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rando1925 View Post
    And yes I saw that article and I understand why people are skeptical but I saw it as a way to get some help not as a scam. That's why I put my name address email phone here and at the GoFundMe page and will send copies of everything of my case to those who ask me. I can prove everything I am saying I hate being called a thief lier scammer and everything else. I thought posting in a community of people going after their dream of hiking the AT would be nice. I was raised old school and the only reason I am asking for help is my mom and dad have passed, no way in hell I would be doing this the way they raised me if they were here, which I would trade for my own life if that would be possible. So I am so sorry for asking for help.
    I don't think the majority of folks on here think this is a scam. You have been crystal clear that the money is to be used for YOUR hike and leftovers are split. You are getting flak because you are asking for handouts to send you on vacation. If you were raising money to get specialized education or something like a service dog to allow you to work and be self sufficient then you would likely get a different reaction. But this is a VACATION, nothing more, nothing less. I also don't view your disability as a factor here other than you claim (or we assume) that it limits your earning capability thus making your vacation harder to achieve. Many would love to do a multi week trip to an exotic foreign land but can't afford it. They spend a long weekend at Dollywood instead of asking for handouts for their vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Oh yes you do. Increased student loans are a big problem for recent grads. It forces many into the role of employee and is changing the face of medicine. Establishing an ownership role is much harder.
    thank you chin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I don't think the majority of folks on here think this is a scam. You have been crystal clear that the money is to be used for YOUR hike and leftovers are split. You are getting flak because you are asking for handouts to send you on vacation. If you were raising money to get specialized education or something like a service dog to allow you to work and be self sufficient then you would likely get a different reaction. But this is a VACATION, nothing more, nothing less. I also don't view your disability as a factor here other than you claim (or we assume) that it limits your earning capability thus making your vacation harder to achieve. Many would love to do a multi week trip to an exotic foreign land but can't afford it. They spend a long weekend at Dollywood instead of asking for handouts for their vacation.
    Well said, Malto

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom_Mouse View Post
    Well said, Malto
    We need "like" buttons
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Just so everyone knows selling my tv here is the link: http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/ele/4489535480.html and have updated my gofund page: http://www.gofundme.com/randodiaz I am serious about this hike and raising money for the Epilepsy Foundation

Images

Well just sold my tv only half a day posted.

Good Job. You sure wont need to carry it with you. I forgot if you told us but are you putting your personel belongings in storage or keeping you household as is while you will be hiking for six plus months. You could sell everything you got and buy differant when you get back. It would sure save you some money. plus you would not have to worry about a thing while on the trail. Shoot you might even like a place along the so good you might want to stay there for a while

Images

Selling all I can closer to March, my plan is after the hike look for a place along the trail in any state and moving there. I have been looking at Damascus, Harpers Ferry and other places. My overall plan is once I finish and find a place between hikes be a trail angel with some trail magic every chance I get.

Images

Seems like a nice way to give back.

Images

Got my first pieces of gear used but look brand new, Tarp-tent Sublite,

sea to summit ultra-sil nano tarp-poncho

Images

With the tv money will be able to get a backpack and sleeping bag and some other things.

Make sure you know how to use your equipment before you go. Nothing worse than a collapsed tent in a rain storm gettin your down wet.

Images

Once I get my sleeping bag planning on setting up in my back yard and practice even though it's pretty basic

Images

Oh by the way HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO EVERYONE HERE

Images

A couple had a home for rent in Damascus for $600 I contacted them but they did not want to rent it to me due to my income, but like told them as long as I can pay my rent and light I can do without luxuries.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++