WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How likely is it for him to raise anywhere near what his own expenses will be on the trail? Chances of any leftovers for charity are quite low. He's primarily asking for money for his hike. Charity money is a hypothetical and unlikely residual.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    He says: "All money raised will be used toward the purchase of food, clothing, gear and expenses while on the trail. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy."
    100% of any $$ raised should go to EFF/ATC. food, gear, clothing, and expenses should come out of his own pocket. that's how it works in the real world

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rando1925 View Post
    I'd like to see anyone judging me try to live on $10,800 a year then talk to me.
    The issue people have, is you are admittedly working the system. Someone disabled enough not to work, could not hike the AT.

Realize that honest, hardworking people that pay taxes also fund all the government assistance that you probably recieve, so they have a right to be critical of anyone that takes a vacation while receiving any assistance. This comes up frequently.

Yeah poor people want to vacation too, so what. Earn it.

Images

Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. It was my mistake in the posting. Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

Images

To all research it if you don't believe me I am not the first disabled person to try a thru hike of the AT.

Images

I have corrected the gofund page.

Images

Here it is:

Rando Leon
    47 Elizabeth St.
    Crawfordville, Florida 32327
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: (850) 274 - 6928
    http://www.gofundme.com/randodiaz

Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder in the United States after migraine, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease.

When I was 15 I was hit by a car ever since I have suffered from Seizures. At the age of 32 I was put on Disability due to my Seizures, I am 51 now.

I am planning to go on a grand and epic journey, one that I have dreamed of since I was 21, On March 12, 2015, I will begin my northbound hike of the Appalachian Trail beginning in Georgia and ending in Maine over 2,200 miles. On average it takes about 6 months to complete, at least those are my plans if not it will be in 2016 or 2017. Due that I need to save up for gear and everything that goes along with such a grand epic adventure.

It is just so hard to save on such a limited budget such as Disability, I live on $10,800 a year which makes it so hard to live let alone save.

So what I looking for is Sponsors or your help funding my trip, any donations will help, even a donation of $1 or any gear you can donate, I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review. I will greatly appreciate it! I am also in search of Sponsors, Thank You for your time and please remember ANY and ALL HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review.

Of course if I am sponsored I will follow any rules my sponsor will ask of me and use whatever gear they want me to use.

All money raised will be used toward the purchase of clothing, gear and expenses for the trail. Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

I am planning on keeping a blog so all that donate can keep up with me on the trail, I will also take pictures and video. I will send email updates of my trip to all donators! Also, please share this link with others who may be interested in hearing about or supporting this journey.

Thank You for all your support!

Those who donate $30 will receive postcards from my trip.

Those who donate $50 will receive a booklet with photos from the trail.

You can contact me at:

Rando Leon
    47 Elizabeth St.

Images

Here it is:

Rando Leon
    47 Elizabeth St.

Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder in the United States after migraine, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease.

When I was 15 I was hit by a car ever since I have suffered from Seizures. At the age of 32 I was put on Disability due to my Seizures, I am 51 now.

I am planning to go on a grand and epic journey, one that I have dreamed of since I was 21, On March 12, 2015, I will begin my northbound hike of the Appalachian Trail beginning in Georgia and ending in Maine over 2,200 miles. On average it takes about 6 months to complete, at least those are my plans if not it will be in 2016 or 2017. Due that I need to save up for gear and everything that goes along with such a grand epic adventure.

It is just so hard to save on such a limited budget such as Disability, I live on $10,800 a year which makes it so hard to live let alone save.

So what I looking for is Sponsors or your help funding my trip, any donations will help, even a donation of $1 or any gear you can donate, I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review. I will greatly appreciate it! I am also in search of Sponsors, Thank You for your time and please remember ANY and ALL HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review.

Of course if I am sponsored I will follow any rules my sponsor will ask of me and use whatever gear they want me to use.

All money raised will be used toward the purchase of clothing, gear and expenses for the trail. Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

I am planning on keeping a blog so all that donate can keep up with me on the trail, I will also take pictures and video. I will send email updates of my trip to all donators! Also, please share this link with others who may be interested in hearing about or supporting this journey.

Thank You for all your support!

Those who donate $30 will receive postcards from my trip.

Those who donate $50 will receive a booklet with photos from the trail.

You can contact me at:

Rando Leon
    47 Elizabeth St.

Images

Everyone can judge for themselves I am no scammer or thief, I am just being honest and no one has to help me if they don't want to.

Everyone has a dream, mine is also a thru-hike. I would also like to take a dug-out canoe and paddle the Amazon or fly fishing for Tarpon in S. America. He is asking for help whether we view it as wrong is beside the point. We have the power to either make this happen or not. While I am in no position to donate money, I could pay forward some equipment which would off-set some of the cash needed for equipment. That said, if the OP would contact me off board, I will be glad to do what I can.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Damn Yankee call me when you like I deeply appreciate it, Thank You.

I'd say go for it; there is another hiker with the initials of DJ that is hiking without funds, only food stamps. I believe he is in New Jersey or New York now, much further than the naysayers said he would make it. In comparison, with a budget of $850 a month you should be able to live like a king!

$850/mo, with no other responsibilities, is certainly doable. Little to no additional money would be needed.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

The help and money is basically like I said for the clothes and gear for the hike and the rest of the money is to donate. Yes I am sure I can make it on my check, just need the gear that's why my plans are for 2015, 2016 or 2017 it all depends on having the necessary gear.

For some the reality or feasibly of living your dream is extremely tough. As most of you know, I hope to hike with "Warrior Hike" next year but, if that plan falls through I will reapply. The reality is, if I don't get to hike with them I most likely won't be able to support my own hike or live my dream. I'm glad I could at least make his dream a little more feasible no matter how small the donation and if he never makes it oh well, it's a dream.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

You'd think soliciting funds to pay for a thru hike on a hiking forum would be a good idea, but as you can read from the comments so far, that is not the case. All of us paid for our hikes out of our own pockets (well, the vast majority) and many of us live on a very modest income. Plus we're saving up for our own hikes.

The "gofundme" web site is a rip off IMOHO. All they do is send a message to all your facebook friends telling them your looking for a hand out. Then if anyone does send you money, they keep 10%. What a deal. (you might have to check out if money given to you on gofundme would be considered income).

Apparently you can earn an additional $720 a month without affecting the amount of SSDI you get. In fact, they want people like you to go out and earn a little extra income on your own. Since your epilepsy is sufficiently under control that you think you can thru hike with out problems, there is no reason you can't go get at least a part time fast food job to earn the extra money you need for gear and most of what you'll need to pay for the trip.

Now this bring us to another question. Have you ever gone on a backpacking trip before? And if not, what makes you think you can hike for 5 months and that you will like it? Are you physically active outdoors or have you be sitting on the couch the last 40 years? While a common saying around here is "it's only walking", in reality it is both physically and mentally challenging.

Yes, there have been people who have been ill prepared physically or have medical issues or disabilities who have completed a thru hike, but these are rare and exceptional people. Maybe your one of them, but with no history to draw on the chances are good your one of the 8 out of 10 who don't get far. The average completion rate is about 20 to 25%. But if you start out with a disadvantage, such as a lack of experience, a medical condition or other disability, your chances go down dramatically.

A thru hike can be an interesting and life changing event, but actually after the first month or so it's mostly drudgery. You'd be much better off planning a shorter hike to start, say a few weeks or a month. Not only is it more affordable (which means you can do more of them), but you'll learn if this really is something you'd enjoy and are capable of doing before making a major commitment.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 05-11-2014 at 19:56.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I used to hike when I was a kid plus as an adult used to hike in the blue ridge mountains, and no I'm not a couch potato.

Images

Thank you for thoughts on this it is greatly appreciated. Used to hike when I was a kid and as an adult hiked and camped in the Blue Ridge Mountains and yes that was years ago in my late 20's early 30's. I am not a couch potatoe.

Images

Even if I don't get help I will Thru hike the AT it will be later in life but I will complete one dream at least at whatever age.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    While a common saying around here is "it's only walking", in reality it is both physically and mentally challenging.
    Aint it the truth. My son currently plays HS football and lacrosse, and is in pretty good shape. they do football conditioning yearround, and lacrosse is a running sport.. A few weeks back I took him to NC. We did a 19 mile day that covered the northbound climb out of NOC and Jacobs ladder. My sons comment at the end of the day was " This wasnt just the hardest day Ive ever had hiking, this was the hardest day Ive ever had in my life", and "this put 96 sprint day in football conditioning to shame".

He was only carrying about 15 lb pack as well that day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++