WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Default Does anybody 'local' often do Amnicola to Neels gap? (im new and want a hiking buddy)

I joined recently, and so far have not found a thread on how to find local hikers from a specific region.

But I live in Dalton, Georgia about 60ish miles from west of Amnicola falls (im 20mi south of Chattanooga) and I was wondering if there are local hikers who live in the driving area of Amnicola falls who routinely hike the Amnicola falls to Neels gap path.

I have been trying to hike often the past few months and routinely do 5-8 mile day hikes in georgia, but only had 2 over-night trips.

But I would love to go to Amnicola and try the hike to Neels gap (Im told its 30-40miles) and would love to meet up with local people who have done this or know the area well. I've only hiked alone or with my Husky. So having a local fellow hiker buddy for the ocassional weekend/week-long hike would be great.

I would really like to try the Amnicola to neels gap sometime int he next few upcoming weeks, if anyone is interested.

And I'm sorry about rambling on. I'm still new to this site, but have been on here constantly and it's seriously motivating me to do more hikes and possibly get to do the bit hike next year.

-Ricky

My family is actually from the Dalton/Chatsworth area. I live in Knoxville now but I am planning a similar hike in the next few weeks, depending on my availability. If you think you have anything set in stone, feel free to PM me and we can discuss a plan.
    Wewe nugu, mimi apana!

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I actually dont have anything planned or set in stone....

I was a truck driver for 3 years but quit a month ago becuase my mother had surgery and I knew she needed me home.

But now Im at the point where she doesn't need me around every day, and I can start looking for a new job in a month or so. So I thought if I were to try a small hike, this would be the perfect time to start planning possibilities.

you can inquire with, or join, the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC).
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

I live in Cherokee county (about 30 min from Amicalola) and plan on doing Springer to Bly Gap (NC border) in the very near future. Looks like rain but it's the time I have available. I have 9 days to do it but am planning on 8 days (last day to border and back-tracking to Dick's Creek gap for late pickup). I'm not doing the approach trail from Amicalola. I've done several hikes in the Springer area on the AT and BMT. Hopefully I can do the 15 mile (+/-) days to make this happen.. Would enjoy some company if you're up for it. From Springer to Neels would make it a 4 day trip..

Day 1 - Springer > Hawk Mnt. Shelter (7.6 miles) (add .9 miles from parking lot to Springer summit)
    Day 2 - Hawk Mnt Shelter > Gooch Mnt Shelter (7.3 miles)
    Day 3 - Gooch Mnt Shelter > Lance Creek (9.4 miles)
    Day 4 - Lance Creek > Neels Gap (6.2 miles)
    Day 5 - Neels Gap > Low Gap Shelter (10.6 miles)
    Day 6 - Low Gap Shelter > Tray Mnt Shelter (14.9 miles)
    Day 7 - Tray Mnt Shelter > Plumorchard Gap Shelter (14.9 miles)
    Day 8 - Plumorchard Gap Shelter > NC border > Dick Creek Gap (Hwy 76) (13.3 miles)

Day 9 - smile knowing you've completed the AT Georgia section and now qualify for an 80 miler patch (http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/ind...d=47&Itemid=91)

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Ive been to amnicola once. its 60miles from here..... is there a closer parking spot to the tail? or do I need to either walk the 7miles or hitch a ride?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...n-Parking-area

This will get you .9 miles North of Springer summit. It's the closest point driving to there that I know of.

I am new to site/forum (actual first post), and I am fairly new to hiking. This year I have dedicated to day hiking as much of the AT as I can. I have done Blood Mountain Loop trail more times than I can count. In a single day, I've done Desoto falls, Brasstown Bald, which can hardly be called a "hike," Arkaquah trail which was a moderate hike (point and back) and the Blood Mountain loop trail.

Recently, I've accomplished my longest day hike (~30 miles) Amicalola falls, AT approach to Springer, Springer to Long Creek Falls via Benton MacKaye Trail, and Long Creek back to Amicalola falls via AT and AT approach.

I have been exclusively a day hiker. I would love to section hike the Georgia portion of the AT over labor day weekend. I also plan to do all of BMT in 4 sections in 2015. I am currently in the process of researching information for these upcoming hikes. I found this site during that research.

Some upcoming hikes I hope to do would include:

(1) Springer to Woody Gap day hike (~20 mile hike, 40 miles out and back) (requires a partner or shuttle which I've never used before).

(2) Woody Gap to Neels Gap (~10 miles, 20 miles out and back)(i can do this point and back in a single day)

(3) Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap (~20 mile hike, 40 miles out and back) (requires a partner or shuttle which I've never used before).(requires a partner or shuttle which I've never used before).

(4) Blood Mountain Loop Trail + Jarrard Trail, and Slaughter Creek Trail Loop ( ~ 12 - 13 miles).

(5) Duncan Ridge Trail (~ 30 miles) absolutely required a partner for any remote chance of completing it as a day hike point to point.

If you or anyone is interested, please let me know.

I provided all this information because I am new to hiking and none of my friends hike. So I would love to meet someone who enjoys it as much as I do.

Oh, I live in Gwinnett, GA.

Journal Entries

Try Meetup.com, (a site that allows people to form/organize groups based on activities) put in your zip code and 'hiking' or 'backpacking' You should find many groups offering trips.

I will echo what someone else said - join the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club - GATC. They have a great webpage. Hikes just about every weekend, including longer overnights. Beginner backpacker series, and a series of hikes to do all of the Georgia AT. And you can get involved in trail maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

I live in Cumming, maybe an hour from Amicalola. I am really new to hiking and all and I don't know that I'll have a full week of time to go do a hike (heck I don't even have gear yet) but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    you can inquire with, or join, the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC).
    I agree with this, best thing a new beginner can do you will learn alot more than just doing solo hikes. and plus they might even let you bring your dog it would be great training for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I agree with this, best thing a new beginner can do you will learn alot more than just doing solo hikes. and plus they might even let you bring your dog it would be great training for him.
    Whole heartedly agree, my experience/learning curve was exponential once I started hangin round here, and hiked with a few people. As a solo hiker most of my life, there really is/was no incentive or need to change the way I was doing things. Once you see the way others go about certain tasks, it causes you to consider other ways and means, at least that's what happened for me. Thanks White Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Whole heartedly agree, my experience/learning curve was exponential once I started hangin round here, and hiked with a few people. As a solo hiker most of my life, there really is/was no incentive or need to change the way I was doing things. Once you see the way others go about certain tasks, it causes you to consider other ways and means, at least that's what happened for me. Thanks White Blaze
    You can get a similar education by being on the trail and interacting with or simply observing thru hikers or long distance section hikers.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Here in GA you can't just join the Georgia A.T. club.

First you have to do trail maintenance on a scheduled "project". after you volunteer and get "approval" to join, you fill out the application and pay the $20 (I think it was) fee. Definitely worth it. It's safe to say 99% of the people you meet there are local hikers.

But yeah, definitely meetup.com
    I'm looking right now and theres "atlanta trail runners" etc. I see several hiking group possibilities. (I go to Chattanooga hiking meet ups cause its closer for me)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Here in GA you can't just join the Georgia A.T. club.

First you have to do trail maintenance on a scheduled "project". after you volunteer and get "approval" to join, you fill out the application and pay the $20 (I think it was) fee. Definitely worth it. It's safe to say 99% of the people you meet there are local hikers.
    The GATC is tasked with maintaining the AT in GA, along with the approach trail and many other trails. I am a member, and also a section overseer (Hawk Mountain). Yes, the membership requirements are not as simple as just paying dues. You go to one trail maintenance day, one orientation meeting, and one other activity - then you can join the club. The volunteers put in a lot of hours maintaining the trail, but also going on day hikes and backpacking trips.
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    The GATC is tasked with maintaining the AT in GA, along with the approach trail and many other trails. I am a member, and also a section overseer (Hawk Mountain). Yes, the membership requirements are not as simple as just paying dues. You go to one trail maintenance day, one orientation meeting, and one other activity - then you can join the club. The volunteers put in a lot of hours maintaining the trail, but also going on day hikes and backpacking trips.

True. It's a great organization. I've been unemployed for the past 3 months and only made it the 62miles from Dalton to Amicalola once due to $$. But I got a job at volkswagen in chattanooga today, so Hopefully once the money starts coming in, I'll be able to partake and try to do the volunteering done, so I can start my membership.

True. It's a great organization. I've been unemployed for the past 3 months and only made it the 62miles from Dalton to Amicalola once due to $$. But I got a job at volkswagen in chattanooga today, so Hopefully once the money starts coming in, I'll be able to partake and try to do the volunteering done, so I can start my membership.
    Cool, good luck with the new job, it's nice to have money for bills, and some disposable income to do the things we like doin.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cool, good luck with the new job, it's nice to have money for bills, and some disposable income to do the things we like doin.
    I spent 3yrs with the dept of defense doing munition disposal. Then 3 years driving a flatbed truck across country (and canada/mexico).

It's been exactly 99 days since I left driving a truck. My dinner money has been $5 per night. So it will definitely be good to make money again. (Volkswagen is about $17 per hour.)

And dads disability back pay should be here anytime.

So things are totally looking up.

I spent 3yrs with the dept of defense doing munition disposal. Then 3 years driving a flatbed truck across country (and canada/mexico).

It's been exactly 99 days since I left driving a truck. My dinner money has been $5 per night. So it will definitely be good to make money again. (Volkswagen is about $17 per hour.)

And dads disability back pay should be here anytime.

So things are totally looking up.
    Good deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++