WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NC Hiker.mid June-late July? Flexible dates.

OK,just seeing whats out there I suppose and I am in Hickory NC. Im wanting to do just a few days (Prob a Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun) during these dates.Im off from work for summer vacation (3 months) and want to get out there at least once.Im gonna be more open to dates than most due to my vacation if you have anything in mind.

I am a very fit hiker,can keep up at any distances I believe,but only semi experienced backpacker.By this I mean I am a runner,do lots of day hikes and backpack from time to time,but have only 3 multi day trips under my belt.......and in case I have any EFBH (External frame backpack haters) reading this, I have a big,beautiful,external frame Kelty super tioga thats coming with me!!!
    (I havent had luck with internals,but thats a subject for another time)

All kidding aside,I dont put too much faith in finding a fellow hiker on these dates,but what the hell you never know?

BTW-What are the chances,if I was just to head up to the AT,no friend in tow,to find a fellow hiker(s) to do a few days with? Or would this quantify as creepy AT behavior? How would one approach another hiker on the subject of "I dont know you,I promise I wont kill you in your sleep,but can I tag along for a few days???"

Happy Hiking my fellow white-Blazinites.
    Regards......The Cyclops.

The AT crosses US 19E just west of Elk Park, NC. North (left) is Roan High Knob. You can work a shuttle with the folks at Mountain Harbor B&B. Do you frequent Outdoor Supply in Hickory?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Correction. That should be SOUTH, left.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I do not frequent but I know where its at.I believe it is the one on the square? And yes I run past it often.Why?

Images

I.m doing a loop in the smokies 6/6-8 if you like water crossings

I section every weekend just about, if you would like to join me to see if we are compatible pm me
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Thanks bud.DOing a car/family camping trip with the family this weekend then looking to go after that.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    I'm going to guess Forney Creek/Jonas Creek
    (Eagle Creek as a 2nd guess)

hey cyclops, I have a hike planned in GA from 6/23 - 6/28. then my wife and I will be camping on a trout stream July 16-22. Aside from those dates, I'm wide open and really want to do a hike in July and maybe also August. What part of NC do you want to hike? I haven't hiked a lot in NC but what I have hiked is very beautiful. You plan the dates and the location....I'm open to anything. I might suggest starting at where I-40 crosses the trail at the northern edge of the GSMNP (don't know the state road route number) to Hot Springs, NC which should take 4 - 5 days. Incidentally, I've been hiking the trail for over 15 years and very rarely have a partner when I start, but usually hook up with someone or a group very soon. So no need to be concerned about asking someone....just tag along ...or hike your own hike and meet up with the group at night. No need to waste money on a shuttle. Either I'll bring a car and we can place your car and my car at each end of the hike......or.... my wife will drop me off and pick me up...so we'd be glad to give you a ride back to your car. I'm old and slow and don't do the daily mileage I used to do, but then again, hiking has never been about mileage for me anyhow, but rather just enjoying being out in God's pristine wilderness, and the people I meet on the trail and the sights I see along the way. So let me know the date and place and I'll meet you there. Either PM me or e-mail me and we'll set it up. My Yahoo addy is : [email protected] if you'd like to contact me there.
    Last edited by seadawg; 06-06-2014 at 05:41.

Images

so I am hiking up swallow fork trail bout 10am and about three ni up I come to a cairn and then a log with curious arrows pointing back the way I came then the trail turns left and becomes a trace dropping straight down steeply into a drainage so i go down about 5 ft before realizing this wasn't here when I hiked down a few years ago. duh I missed a switchback and almost descended a nasty bit of non trail which would have really been hard to climb back up, so back on the trail to the switchback felt dumb but that isn't too unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++