Images

Default Fox Creek to Damascus First Week in June

Hey ladies,

I'm planning a section just north of Damascus first week in June. I'm not interested in big miles, so I'm planning on starting at Fox Creek and walking back to Damascus. Looking forward to seeing the wild ponies!

I like hiking alone, but I enjoy meeting other hikers too. I know sometimes women are a little nervous about hiking alone so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone will be nearby and wants to say hello.

I'm 48 and I'll be hiking with my super cute dog Charlie:

1233110_10151618511685969_1461738968_o.jpg

972075_10151539902030969_990454521_n.jpg

We did a bunch of hiking last year together in Maine where I'm from.

Anyway, hoping to start the hike on Sunday, June 1st, or Monday the 2nd. Still working out the details. Planning to walk 41 miles in 5 days of hiking, just to give you a sense of pace.

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone is going to be in the area and wants to hike together a bit. Hoping to stay in Damascus Saturday the 30th and Friday the 5th after hiking.

Journal Entries

Sounds like a great hike. The ponies are great!

Hey Goonky...

Have a great hike. Your dog IS super cute! I recommend staying at Crazy Larry's while you are in Damascus. He's not "crazy" just super nice!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hey Goonky...

Have a great hike. Your dog IS super cute! I recommend staying at Crazy Larry's while you are in Damascus. He's not "crazy" just super nice!
    Thanks for the recommendation - I was going to stay at the Hiker's Inn just because it seemed to be the only place that would take dogs. Do you know if Crazy Larry accepts dogs?

And yeah, the dog is cute and a really good companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation - I was going to stay at the Hiker's Inn just because it seemed to be the only place that would take dogs. Do you know if Crazy Larry accepts dogs?

Yes, he does! It's great to have a dog along with you!

You will love the wild ponies on your hike! Have fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I take dogs...

Images

Hey Larry! Thanks for responding. Talk about great service!

May I ask, is it possible to get one room - inside - for me and the dog? Happy to pay for him of course. Let me know here, and if it's possible, I'll give you a call to firm up details.

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

I would love to meet up and go with you if you started a little later. XD I'm going to lake moomaw may 31-june1st already for canoe camping but I really really want to do an official hike ( canoe camping seems so easy lol )

i also also have a dog that loves hikeing that has been give in me the stink eye since we haven't gone farther than a few miles and no over night ers.

Images

Unfortunately, I can't change the dates. Already approved for time off from work and lots of reservations made. But maybe we'll pass each other on the trail!

My wife and I will be hiking that section later in the summer. I would like to hear about your hike when you get done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    My wife and I will be hiking that section later in the summer. I would like to hear about your hike when you get done.
    I'll report back to this thread.

I'll report back to this thread.
    Thanks Goonky

Images

Reporting back on this hike as promised for Canoe.

Great hike. It's 41 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. In Maine, I average 8 miles a day. I can do more, but that's my average including stops for food and breaks along the way. So I planned 5 days to do these 41 miles. It ended up only taking me 4 days.

Now, that being said: The last day it rained quite a bit and the dog and I were pretty soaked. When I got to the campsite I'd been planning on it was 4pm and I was only 5 miles from town. So, considering that and since this was a section hike, we took the creeper trail into town for the last 5 miles that night so we could be dry.

I found the terrain down here to be much easier than Maine. I would have no trouble averaging 10-12 miles a day in similar terrain and I consider myself a slow hiker.

Highlights about this trip:

* Crazy Larry's Hostel - Super nice guy and he introduced me to bacon pancakes. YUM.
    * Wild ponies. Gosh they are pretty. They have no fear of people, and walk right up to you. I wouldn't say they are aggressive, but they are assertive. Don't open your snack bag around them.
    * Great tenting at Wise Shelter (though not allowed near the shelter for some reason), Lost Mountain Shelter and Saunders Shelter. Not great tenting at Thomas Knob Shelter, at least that I could see. It was socked in with clouds and rain the day I stopped there.
    * Tons of campsites along the way
    * Not a great water source at Thomas Knob. If you have a pump you'll be fine, but otherwise it may take some time. I'd recommend asking about water conditions there right before the trip and maybe carrying water into that area. It was basically a puddle.
    * I loved walking in and out of the woods out into open pasture and fields. Really lovely.
    * There are no bear cables in this area, and every hiker camping near me had trouble finding a place to bear bag. Honestly, I slept with my food without issue, as did most others.
    *If the weather is clear, there are lots of views.

If you are hankering for other details, I journaled about it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=460436

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Journal Entries
    Images

Reporting back on this hike as promised for Canoe.

Great hike. It's 41 miles from Fox Creek to Damascus. In Maine, I average 8 miles a day. I can do more, but that's my average including stops for food and breaks along the way. So I planned 5 days to do these 41 miles. It ended up only taking me 4 days.

Now, that being said: The last day it rained quite a bit and the dog and I were pretty soaked. When I got to the campsite I'd been planning on it was 4pm and I was only 5 miles from town. So, considering that and since this was a section hike, we took the creeper trail into town for the last 5 miles that night so we could be dry.

I found the terrain down here to be much easier than Maine. I would have no trouble averaging 10-12 miles a day in similar terrain and I consider myself a slow hiker.

Highlights about this trip:

* Crazy Larry's Hostel - Super nice guy and he introduced me to bacon pancakes. YUM.
    * Wild ponies. Gosh they are pretty. They have no fear of people, and walk right up to you. I wouldn't say they are aggressive, but they are assertive. Don't open your snack bag around them.
    * Great tenting at Wise Shelter (though not allowed near the shelter for some reason), Lost Mountain Shelter and Saunders Shelter. Not great tenting at Thomas Knob Shelter, at least that I could see. It was socked in with clouds and rain the day I stopped there.
    * Tons of campsites along the way
    * Not a great water source at Thomas Knob. If you have a pump you'll be fine, but otherwise it may take some time. I'd recommend asking about water conditions there right before the trip and maybe carrying water into that area. It was basically a puddle.
    * I loved walking in and out of the woods out into open pasture and fields. Really lovely.
    * There are no bear cables in this area, and every hiker camping near me had trouble finding a place to bear bag. Honestly, I slept with my food without issue, as did most others.
    *If the weather is clear, there are lots of views.

If you are hankering for other details, I journaled about it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=460436

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.
    It was great meeting you Goonky and your dog Charlie, you and that dog are some of the coolest I have met

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

++ New Posts ++