WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Abol Bridge Food for Resupply

Can anyone tell what type of food Abol Bridge Campground sells? I want to resupply prior to leaving for Katadhin. Do they have a restaurant or a diner? Thanks for helping.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Back in 2012, they had sandwiches and a few other items they'd make to order. The selection was limited but I was able to resupply til White House Landing in the 100 mile wilderness (going SOBO). They had things like mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, and the like. If all you need is food to get to Katadhin and back down, then you'll have no problem.

Journal Entries

I didn't stay for the diner section to open, but the store is very limited, as said above enough to get to Katahdin, but just enough (I packed out 2 sandwiches as part of Katahdin resupply). I was expecting more, but could go with perishable food due to it was only 1 overnight left.

I would not want to resupply for crossing the 100MW here, and with While House landing now closed (or so I've heard), it's not really a viable stop for resupply SoBo. Better to consider it a restaurant deli with a very large hiker box's worth of hiker food as your selection (and also have to pay for it).

I was there last summer. It had plenty of the typical hiking grub for a resupply. I would recommend if you are staying there for the night to stay across the street at the campground on the river. It is a beautiful spot.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. Helps with my planning!
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Journal Entries

Hey; Thanks for the info on Abol. I'm planning a SOBO thru-hike this year, and was looking for info on Abol, since it is the last re-supply before the 100 mile, and I really don't want to carry a lot of food up Katahdin if I can help it.
    I suppose that if I get there, and don't find enough supply for the 100 mile, I can get a shuttle back to the park, or into a town where I can re-supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Hey; Thanks for the info on Abol. I'm planning a SOBO thru-hike this year, and was looking for info on Abol, since it is the last re-supply before the 100 mile, and I really don't want to carry a lot of food up Katahdin if I can help it.
    I suppose that if I get there, and don't find enough supply for the 100 mile, I can get a shuttle back to the park, or into a town where I can re-supply?
    As I understand it, the rangers will loan you a day pack for your ascent up Katahdin. In any case there's hardly any reason to carry a full pack up the mountain. You certainly won't be needing your tent, sleeping bag, stove, mess kit, etc. Most folks "slackpack" up the mountain and back.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just get there before the end of September. We got there on October 2nd and the restaurant had closed the prior day! The store was pretty well cleaned out by then, but they did have a number of Baxter Brewing Company IPA 6-packs they were trying to sell. We helped them out with one as we camped across the street along the river at Abol Pines Campground, and then helped them out with a second sale later that evening (carrying a few cans to The Birches to enjoy the following evening).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Abol Bridge Store has a limited selection of Knorr Sides, Ramen, etc. They used to cater more toward the backpacking crowd, but began a partnership with a local rafting company last season. This can result in the restaurant being closed for private parties.

Your best bet is to stock up for your trip in advance. You might consider contacting the Appalachian Trail Lodge to partake of their SOBO special (http://appalachiantraillodge.com/packages/sobo-special/). Ole Man can fill you in on lots of helpful tips. When their shuttle drops you off at Katahdin Stream Campground (where you have hopefully reserved a night...as in you might want to make reservations ASAP), the ranger allows thru-hikers to leave their packs on the enclosed porch (this is perfectly safe). Grab one of their loaner packs and head up the hill. The weather can change fast, so be sure to bring appropriate clothing and water and snacks - Oh, and your headlamp. Many people underestimate Katahdin their first time up. Spend the night at the campground and hike out the next day.

Hit the restaurant at Abol Bridge if it is open. Their campground also has $5.00 showers (and is coin operated in addition!) and ice cream...sometimes. Depending on whether or not they have events going on.

When I came through there at the end of my NOBO I was fine getting food for one day, but remember thinking that I would definitely not want to resupply there for all of the hundred as a SOBO. The prices are some of the highest you'll see, a single can of Hormel chili was going for nearly $4. Not a common hiker item but that's an idea of the prices. There is just enough selection to make it work but the cost would be tremendous.

Must be some kind of grocery store in Millinocket, eh?

Yes, there are some small grocery stores in Millinocket, as well as several restaurants. Its slowly changing over to catering more to tourists than it has in the past. It seems a bit sad knowing it once was a thriving, bustling mill town. Some nice houses can be had up there for fairly cheap.

I live in Maine. I highly recommend supplying fur the 100 mw in millinocket. The Hannaford grocery store has a great selection. It's easy to get rides from abol bridge to town and back. When are you departing? I am planning a southbound section this Summer. Probably late August start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

was there this past year nice diner beer on tap and the store has a good variety of resupply stuff

Journal Entries

While I can see the point in leaving my (heavy) pack at the ranger station at Abol, then hiking up Katahdin and back with one of their loaners, I'm not sure this is really what I would want to do for a SOBO thru-hike.
    Yes, I would avoid having to carry my heavy pack up and down Katahdin, but isn't this what is referred to as "slack-hiking"? I'm not sure I want to start a thru-hike that way. I was planning to rent a tent site in Baxter park and hike up the north or one of the other faces of Katahdin, then down on the A.T. to start my thru-hike. If that is what I decide to do, any suggestion on where to tent, and which trail to hike up Katahdin?

I am planning to start my SOBO thru-hike sometime between mid June and early July, but not yet confident of the date, so I don't want to make reservations so early. There are too many factors that could affect my start date; weather being the main one. I guess, if I cannot get a res at one of the tent sites by the time I decide on a definite start date, I will have to stay in Millinocket, then get a ride to the park in the morning.
    Getting supplies in Millinocket sounds good. I'm going to have to take a bus from Bangor to Millinocket anyway. Actually, I'll be taking Amtrak from NYC to Boston, then another train from Boston to Portland ME, and then the bus to Bangor, and finally another bus or taxi or shuttle from Bangor to Millinocket - unless I can get a bus from Portland to Millinocket.

I think I'm beginning to understand why so many more thru-hikers go NOBO than SOBO.
    Last edited by Arden; 02-12-2016 at 15:28.

-

the camp store was the most expensive place for groceries I have ever seen - about 400% of standard pricing, 5$ for a small can of peaches - but a case of busch light and the restaurant was reasonable

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Why not arrive in Millinocket and stay at the AT lodge? They can shuttle you into the park to do your out and back ascent/descent of Katahdin back to the birches. You could possibly hike as far as Abol Bridge if you've got great trail legs but you'll otherwise want to stay at the Birches for the evening or just shuttle/hitch (easy) back to Millinocket and spend another night at the AT Lodge. Keep in mind that if you're not starting before the 100MW and hiking to the Birches, you'll need to pay for a campsite at the campground instead. This requires a reservation, the earlier (think weeks) the better. Either way, you can supply in Millinocket for the 100MW and top off at Abol Bridge on your way.

In the middle of the summer, the restaurant at the campground at Abol Bridge should be open but is sometimes closed for private parties. Resupplying for the 100MW at the camp store is probably not advised but I suppose possible depending on what you like to eat. Otherwise, you could also try to hitch out from there back to Millinocket.

As for slacking up and back Katahdin, that's a personal decision and completely up to you.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

While I can see the point in leaving my (heavy) pack at the ranger station at Abol, then hiking up Katahdin and back with one of their loaners, I'm not sure this is really what I would want to do for a SOBO thru-hike.
    Yes, I would avoid having to carry my heavy pack up and down Katahdin, but isn't this what is referred to as "slack-hiking"? I'm not sure I want to start a thru-hike that way. I was planning to rent a tent site in Baxter park and hike up the north or one of the other faces of Katahdin, then down on the A.T. to start my thru-hike. If that is what I decide to do, any suggestion on where to tent, and which trail to hike up Katahdin?

I am planning to start my SOBO thru-hike sometime between mid June and early July, but not yet confident of the date, so I don't want to make reservations so early. There are too many factors that could affect my start date; weather being the main one. I guess, if I cannot get a res at one of the tent sites by the time I decide on a definite start date, I will have to stay in Millinocket, then get a ride to the park in the morning.
    Getting supplies in Millinocket sounds good. I'm going to have to take a bus from Bangor to Millinocket anyway. Actually, I'll be taking Amtrak from NYC to Boston, then another train from Boston to Portland ME, and then the bus to Bangor, and finally another bus or taxi or shuttle from Bangor to Millinocket - unless I can get a bus from Portland to Millinocket.

I think I'm beginning to understand why so many more thru-hikers go NOBO than SOBO.
    Ole Man, at the AT Lodge (Millinocket), can absolutely help you work through the logistics of getting started. He would also be the one (most likely) to shuttle you to Baxter.

Only you can decide if you want to haul a full pack up Katahdin when you are just starting out. Some do, but many also choose to forgo that pleasure. If you have never done Katahdin, you do need to know that the Hunt trail is tough on the knees when you come down the hill. You are in this hike for the long-haul...minimizing the chance of injury is probably a wise way to start out. Again, only you can make that decision. I am simply passing along information so you can make a decision that will work for you.

Katahdin Stream Campground is at the base of the Hunt Trail and right on the AT. If you are able to, I would suggest making reservations at this campground. After climbing Katahdin, you most likely will not feel like hiking out of the park, or hiking to another campground.

The AT Lodge does run shuttles from Bangor, but there is also a bus station. You can catch the bus in Boston and take it to Bangor. Then, bus or shuttle from that point.

Ah, NOBOs have just as many logistics to figure out. Your trip will come together as it is supposed to - That is part of the awesomeness of the hike!

Journal Entries

So, it looks like there are many options for a SOBO. In the end, I guess it really doesn't make any difference if I start at Abol, leave my pack (or not) with the rangers, hike to Katahdin summit, and start my SOBO thru-hike, hiking back down to Abol - sleeping in a tentsite or get a ride back to Millinocket to sleep in hotel. Either way, I will end up at Abol after reaching the summit and descending southwards on the A.T. I probably shouldn't push myself too hard right out of the gate. My legs (and knees, feet, back, and everything else) will be thanking me, and if that is the only time I "slack hike", I'm doing pretty well.

I have to balance the logistics with the ambition to thru-hike. If I think too much about the logistics, I'll never leave home!!

Edit: I think that my desire to hike up to Katahdin summit from Baxter park and then traverse south on the A.T. is actually linked to the Amicalola Falls Approach Trail, and not to Baxter. When I first started thinking of doing a thru-hike, it was going to be NOBO, and I had made up my mind that if I did start on Springer, I would hike the approach trail. So, now that I have decided to SOBO, I am thinking of the hike from Baxter to the summit of Katahdin as the "approach trail", which it is not.
    Last edited by Arden; 02-12-2016 at 18:41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++