WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 2014 Thru Hiker Journals

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see if any other fellow white blazers that are thru hiking this year are keeping journals. And for those who aren't hiking, who are you following? It makes for good reading while I'm on the trail.

I'm going by Frankenstein and am keeping a journal on trailjournals. I'm a bit long winded at times but I don't want to forget anything.

Let me know where to find your journal or who has a journal worth following.

Thanks!

A similar thread was started about 2 weeks ago titled Any Good Journals for 2014? which you may want to check out too. I'm not hiking the AT yet—hoping to start a thru-hike later this year and finish next year. I guess officially that means 2 long section hikes.

This year I've been following the journals of Affirm, a 20-something young guy from California who has an uncommon point of view, and Mailman, a retired mailman from Illinois. Both are NOBOs who started in early April and late March, respectively, and are keeping interesting, detailed TJs. I'll check out your TJ too. Always looking for good ones to follow.
    "In proportion as [man] ...simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." – Thoreau

Frankenstein, I've been enjoying your TJ!! The others that I'm following on a regular basis are Reset, Left Turn, & Gandalf.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by he.who.forgets View Post
    Frankenstein, I've been enjoying your TJ!! The others that I'm following on a regular basis are Reset, Left Turn, & Gandalf.
    Thanks! I'll have to check out those journals. I'm at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and finally have some down time.

There is a family (with three children) from Canada that are thru hiking this year. Does anyone know where their journal is posted?

Images

Mike N, thank you your recommendation of Affirm's Trailjournal. Definitely not your usual Trailjournal, plenty there to get you thinking.

I promised myself I would skip the Trailjournals this year, maybe do some actual hiking of my own. But now I am hooked on Affirm's and Reset's blogs.

Www.facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe is my forum for my 2014 yoyo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

i ran into Outlet just south of PA 309. he started March 10. i saw several thrus north of port clinton as i was going sOBO, section hiking. a hiker mentioned ghost walker doing near 30 miles a day and maybe out of new york already. good luck to all...

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I started that other thread on this subject. I checked out just about every link I saw, and I didn't think that any were worth following. Guess I'm just picky. (Or maybe the huge increase the number of hikers the last few years has made it harder to find the good writers. Needle in a haystack...)

FWIW, the only journal I'm following this year is Shroomer on postholer.com. He's really enthusiastic about the trail.

follow Knitter and Weirman, they are a bit older than we expect to be when we start our thru hike in a few years so we are benefiting from their experiences!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I started that other thread on this subject. I checked out just about every link I saw, and I didn't think that any were worth following. Guess I'm just picky. (Or maybe the huge increase the number of hikers the last few years has made it harder to find the good writers. Needle in a haystack...)

FWIW, the only journal I'm following this year is Shroomer on postholer.com. He's really enthusiastic about the trail.

Is Shroomer working on his triple crown right now? I met him for the first time last week and he's a really cool guy! I got semi lazy though the past few days and the old guy is going hard so he left me in his dust! (Affirm here! checking in from the Grace Hiker hostel in Waynesboro, VA. About to hit the Shenandoahs!)

+1 on Affirm. Great writing style, a lot more discussion of trail life and perspective. A good read.

Also a big thumbs of to "Reset". One of the most positive reads out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    A similar thread was started about 2 weeks ago titled Any Good Journals for 2014? which you may want to check out too. I'm not hiking the AT yet—hoping to start a thru-hike later this year and finish next year. I guess officially that means 2 long section hikes.

This year I've been following the journals of Affirm, a 20-something young guy from California who has an uncommon point of view, and Mailman, a retired mailman from Illinois. Both are NOBOs who started in early April and late March, respectively, and are keeping interesting, detailed TJs. I'll check out your TJ too. Always looking for good ones to follow.

++ New Posts ++