Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: In Idyllwild

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default In Idyllwild

Kearsarge pass is the best option. The thing is, if you leave Kennedy meadows with enough food to get to VVR by the time you get to kearsarge pass a few days later your food will weigh about the same as the hikers who went out over the pass.

Bottom line: if you can hump 9-10 days of food until it drops down to 6-7 days food you can skip going out and just stay in the Sierra and being in the Sierra for 10 days without "civilization" is very cool.

What I would recommend is trying it and when you get to kearsarge pass do a food inventory and decide then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default In Idyllwild

The PCT is the most awesome trail I've ever hiked! I think I'm in love.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Damn son.

That right there tells me that I need to find another (couple) resupply points.
    It's exactly like hiking from springer to newfound gap as far as distance if you summit Whitney. Omg.... You HAVE to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Uh oh. This guy is a goner. The PCT claims another one.

-postholer

Images

The hike out over Kearsarge Pass was a spectacular trek. I'd recommend it to break up the carry. It was easy to get a hitch from Onion Valley trailhead down to Independence which has at least one hiker friendly motel (where we arranged for a ride back to Onion Valley). From Independence one can take a bus north to Bishop where there is a large grocery store and good outfitter plus a great bakery. For me it was 5 days to Kearsarge Pass from Kennedy Meadows including most of a day summiting Whitney.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

That's why I've been saying if you can only do one, make it the PCT. Though, I am getting nostalgic for the CDT. Similar to the PCT but more challenging and remote. Beware 10-K of Yogi's words, "If you do two, you will do three."
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

For Sierra resupply, don't forget Lone Pine! It is about 45 miles from KM, with a 2 mile side trail to the road where you can hitch to town. (Yogi's book said this can be a hard hitch, but I didn't have trouble. YMMV) I really liked Lone Pine, and I thought it was nice to avoid the extra time and distance (plus another high pass!) to reach Independence, and then have to reach Bishop for groceries! This is at the very least a two day detour.

I went from LP to Red's Meadow, including Whitney, without resupply. It is about 160 miles, plus around 18 for Whitney. Arrived in Red's on the morning of the 9th day. You can shorten this by stopping at VVR, we decided not to since VVR is "only" 22 miles from town. Also you can slackpack Whitney by leaving some stuff in the camp site at the base.

NOTE: If you visit the Hardees in Lone Pine, make sure you finish your entire meal. Leaving a couple french fries uneaten will haunt you in the Sierras, I can say from experience (whyyyy god why didn't I eat those fries when I had the chance!)

Just got into Bridgeport. Camped 9 miles south of Sonora pass last night and thought I was going to get blown off the mountain. That entire section above 10k feet is exposed. Didn't really want to camp there but it was getting dark. Glad to be rid of the bear can and microspikes!

Sounds like you're in the pack this yr - mid June and at Bridgeport. Told ya you're taylor made for the PCT. BrIdgeport Inn has been kind to hikers in the past. Check to see if there are still two grocery stores in town only a couple blocks from each other.

I'm at the Bridgeport inn. .

Way to go! I don't guess that you will be back home the second week of August? We will be in Boone, NC. One of these days I would love to get a first hand account of the PCT.
    Good luck! Hike on!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Just got into south Lake Tahoe. Snow mostly gone and easy hiking again. I'll say this: the Sierra turned me into a hiking machine.

Images

Just got into south Lake Tahoe. Snow mostly gone and easy hiking again. I'll say this: the Sierra turned me into a hiking machine.

good to hear. The Sierra turned me into a hobbling machine. It certainly sounds like you have more western hiking in your future. By the way, canister arrived, bet your glad to be rid of it, I forgot how big and clunky that thing is.

Very glad to be rid of the canister and the need to carry a lot of water. I hiked 27 miles in 9 hours today - pack weight is back to a realistic weight for the first time since Campo.

You'll have some so so, some good, and even some awesomely better days ahead avg MPH wise but overall, barring injuries, you'll cruise from here to Canada. Congrats on Canada letting you in. Take the Eagle Creek alternate once in Washington into Cascade Locks if you like an abundance of nice waterfalls and a trail surprise where you hike real close to a waterfall. I will not give it all away. This prolly would be the PCT route if it was a foot trail only. The Eagle Creek alternate isn't really safely doable for equestrians.

Getting any other ideas what hikes/trails might appeal to you out west? I would like to meet ya out on a trail someday. Happy trails 10-K.

I think I'm going to section hike the CDT over a few years, cherry picking the best time to do each section.

It's been a pleasure, especially watching you progress in you hiking career particularly as someone from the east.

I'm having the time of my life! The pct is a gift that just keeps on giving. I am glad to be leaving the snow behind though. Also The section between tuolumee meadows and Bridgeport was pretty strenuous - up-snow-down-up-snow-down-up-snow-down.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I think I'm going to section hike the CDT over a few years, cherry picking the best time to do each section.

Awesome.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++