WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Agree with rail trails. Also in keeping with baby steps, I wouldn't necessarily do backpacking as the first hike. Get her to like day hiking and car camping as separate activities before merging them into one.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I have no location suggestions but I love the quote "Hill-Averse Wife." Or just "Hill Averse". It makes a great sound bite and the words would make a great tattoo on a backpacker's forehead. Hill Averse Wife about sums up America's relationship to backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Around Clayton, GA, Walhalla, SC there is the Chattooga river trail. It parallels the river for many miles and the slopes are easy. Find a raft guide to shuttle you to an access point and hike back to uS 76 and your car. Bring your banjo.
    Damn!! Now I have to learn to play banjo.

Be easy, be gentle, and realize you probably won't get what you want. Lots of posts in WB from folks with a non-hiking spouse. Get your hiking fix without her maybe.

Consider doing some of the things she has been nagging you about as a warm up.

One option is to take up canoe or kayak camping.

Paris Mountain Just a little bit north of Greenville, SC has a little known backcountry option that would work. There are easy backcountry options at King's Mt. National and State Parks, and Crowder's Mt. NC has a backcountry spot as well.

It wouldn't bother me one iota to hike the Grand Canyon...around the rim, just makes gettin' water a bit of a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
    Panther Creek Falls in georgia or several falls trails in SC, Can't rememerb the names, there was a book "Waterfalls of South Carolina" or similiar, many are in and out hikes, not too far, not too steep.
    I wouldn't recommend Panther Creek, at least from the West Trailhead. Hiked it in September and there are some major erosion issues on some parts of the trail. If she's relatively new to hiking, this probably isn't for her. They actually re-routed part of the trail and the only marker is a red ribbon tied in a tree. No sign, blaze, or anything. If you go the wrong way you are in for a very narrow trail with some serious drop-offs.

This is an example. So much erosion that the poles holding some safety cables have become uprooted.
    SQnIwXq.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++