WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NET Southern Terminus Dedication

http://www.ctwoodlands.org/sites/def...on%20flyer.pdf

The new southern terminus is being dedicated on June 8th from 4 to 6. Took a ride yesterday to check it out. The footings are in but none of the walkway. Beautiful location.

I've decided. I'm going to take a week off and hike the CT section of the NET. My plan is to attend the terminus dedication on Sunday and start north bound Monday. I'm going to resupply once someplace half way. Can someone recommend a food drop?

Images

My wife and I thru-hiked the NET last summer. Dipped our toes in the sound and headed north. I few strange things on the NET but overall a really good time. And not as wimpy as one might think.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

In April I did about 30 miles on the Metacomet Trail in the central section. I was very impressed. Here is my trip report.

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/105

Images

If anyone is taking the train or thinks they might need any help or a shuttle around the southern terminus, feel free to PM me. There might be a few times I'll be gone this summer, but we actually live right on the trail and only about 1 mile from the southern terminus and I'll do what I can to help you out. I, too, will be at the dedication on June 8th.

Jane

This sounds like a great way for Snacktime and I to end our school year....hmmmm.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chilln View Post
    I've decided. I'm going to take a week off and hike the CT section of the NET. My plan is to attend the terminus dedication on Sunday and start north bound Monday. I'm going to resupply once someplace half way. Can someone recommend a food drop?
    A couple miles north on the Berlin Turnpike and then on Worthington Ridge Road is the Berlin, CT Post Office. That's pretty close, though the Tpk is a very busy road. You might also see if Guida's Dairy ice cream stand in Middlefield, which is a quarter mile off trail via a side trail, where the trail crosses route 66, would be willing to serve as a drop for you. Finally, failing a drop, you could also walk to the nearby convenience store on the Berlin Tpk - it's a big one, right where the trail crosses the turnpike.

PS: Be mindful of copperhead snakes on the trail, especially on the Metacomet portion of the trail between Berlin and Farmington. There's lots of poison ivy, as well, on the northward parts of West Peak desceding and then as the trail skirts the eastern edge of Timberlin Golf Course. If get to Heublein Tower between 10-5 from Thursday through Sunday, it's very much worth the ascent. The 360 degree views from its obs tower are probably the best in the state, rivaled by those from East Peak/Castle Craig, West Peak and Higby Mountain, all on the trail.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Since the southern terminus is just being finished, a few of my buddies & myself are planning on starting at the MA/CT border & heading south to at least Albany Ave.

Any recent trail updates or reports for that section?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    A couple miles north on the Berlin Turnpike and then on Worthington Ridge Road is the Berlin, CT Post Office. That's pretty close, though the Tpk is a very busy road. You might also see if Guida's Dairy ice cream stand in Middlefield, which is a quarter mile off trail via a side trail, where the trail crosses route 66, would be willing to serve as a drop for you. Finally, failing a drop, you could also walk to the nearby convenience store on the Berlin Tpk - it's a big one, right where the trail crosses the turnpike.

PS: Be mindful of copperhead snakes on the trail, especially on the Metacomet portion of the trail between Berlin and Farmington. There's lots of poison ivy, as well, on the northward parts of West Peak desceding and then as the trail skirts the eastern edge of Timberlin Golf Course. If get to Heublein Tower between 10-5 from Thursday through Sunday, it's very much worth the ascent. The 360 degree views from its obs tower are probably the best in the state, rivaled by those from East Peak/Castle Craig, West Peak and Higby Mountain, all on the trail.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
    Thanks for the info. I'm all packed & ready to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chilln View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm all packed & ready to go.
    You bet. Hope you had a good trip.

Images

Hi Driver8, if you could post your trip report upon your return I would be so interested to read it! Thanks!

Jane

Images

Not my trip report, gsingjane, chillin's. I'm eager hear news from the hike, too.

++ New Posts ++