WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

Default Any water sources between Calf Mtn Shelter and Blackrock Hut (SNP)?

Hiking SNP in May. I don't see any water sources listed in a 2007 AT guide (yeah, it's old, but I don't think the mountains have moved ). Are there any good water sources between Calf Mtn Shelter and Blackrock Hut or am I carrying extra water for that stretch?
    thanks.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Images

Not really any water along the trail in that stretch unless you want to go down a side trail.

There's a spring 1.2 miles north of Calf Mtn. Then a 8 mile stretch without water for Blackrock Hut.

Images

A reliable source-- depends on the time of year . There is a small creek at Jarman Gap, a mile north of Calf Mtn that is a viable source in the Spring. The AT crosses a service road there , the little creek runs parallel to that a short distance off the road.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Not when I walked it (sobo.) Was very glad the spring was running at Calf Mtn.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The first day of my SOBO section hike from Loft Mtn. Campground to US-60/Buena Vista, we were finally dropped off at 11:30 am on October 13, 2002. I never even thought about bringing more than my typical 2 liters of water, but it had been a drought year and there the Blackrock Hut spring was dry, with no known water before Rockfish Gap 20 miles away. We decided to cover as much ground as possible and try to get to Rockfish Gap the next day on only a liter of water. I reached the road crossing at Wildcat Ridge that evening and tried to wave down a car who might have water, to no avail. I ran out of water a few miles short of Calf Mtn. Lean-to. My hiking partner went down Jarman Gap and successfully dug for water. I happened upon a standing puddle just north of the shelter (up the trail from the second marked dry spring) that literally saved my bacon. If I had paid more attention to the water situation I would have cached a gallon jug of water somewhere along the BRP as we drove in on the 13th.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

thanks for the intel and caching idea.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

I just finished a trip through SNP. I will be posting daily trip reports on my site. For now, Day 1 is here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/95

The creek at Jarman Gap was still flowing, but that was about it.

++ New Posts ++