WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default review of the new Sawyer Mini water filter and comparison to the Sawyer Squeeze water

I posted a video of a review of the newSawyer Mini water filter and comparison to the Sawyer Squeeze waterfilter. I also showed my ideas on how to back flush both unitswithout having to carry the Sawyer syringe. I thought some of you might find it interesting. Thanks -Kaboose

Nice review. I particularly like that glued double cap. It eliminates the need to carry the syringe.

Journal Entries

Thanks, would like to compare flow rates after your hike, is the mini really a better flow rate or is that because the larger one was used and partially clogged (do the filters get partly, irreversibility clogged over time with backflushing only a partial clearing?)

Also I found 1/2 L bottle very well suited to thru hiking the AT, sometimes you needed more, but IMHO go light when you can. YMMV

Section Hiker

Hi, Kaboose! Glad to hear you and Sassafras are heading back out. Thanks for the review. I accidentally froze my Sawyer in January and recently picked up the mini. Haven't used it yet but like your review.

What is the cap you have on the Platy bottle?

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thanks for the great review! I just stopped by WM and grabbed a mini. If a bit of testing around the house goes well, it will get a thorough thrashing on the BMT soon. Looking forward to trying it out.

It is the flip cap from a Smart Water bottle.

Great review and thanks for the tips!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entries

Was wondering for quote some time about the effectiveness of back-flushing with alternatives to the syringe. Specifically is enough pressure developed to effectively backwash? Yes I'm sure it removes some stuff and restores some flow, but it would seem the syringe has a lot more pressure that can be applied then just squeezing a bag.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Nice review. I particularly like that glued double cap. It eliminates the need to carry the syringe.
    I use a glued double cap with the cut off top of a soda bottle to give a larger area to fill from a pump or pipe.

I also cut a hole in another bottle cap and press to tightly fit over the nipple on the output of a Sawyer mini. I use one liter bags for dirty and clean water and this allows me to gravity feed from a dirty bag thru the filter to a clean bag. I've got a cord loop black duct taped to the dirty water bag and a piece of white duct tape to mark the clean water bag. I've got a length of cord clove hitched around the filter, loop the cord thru the dirty water bag loop and suspend everything from a branch. I've also painted the dirty water bag cap black to mark it to avoid cross contamination.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Only about 2% of people who collapse on the street (ie, amidst crowds of people immediately available to help) actually survive if given CPR. So knowing CPR has almost no chance of saving someone out in the woods, far from emergency medical aid.
    Saved more than one person in my career with CPR. I would venture that in the above setting many people either don't know CPR or don't know how to apply properly - proper depth of compressions, allowing full recoil, proper rate. It is hard work performing proper CPR - in a hospital or in the field.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Was wondering for quote some time about the effectiveness of back-flushing with alternatives to the syringe. Specifically is enough pressure developed to effectively backwash? Yes I'm sure it removes some stuff and restores some flow, but it would seem the syringe has a lot more pressure that can be applied then just squeezing a bag.
    I've found the syringe definitely provides more pressure but that if you are careful and filter your water through a bandana back flushing with the above method is adequate. Back flushing frequently (before you notice reduced flow) seems to help too. When I got done my LT thru I thoroughly flushed my mini using the syringe until the water coming out was clear. I didn't test but I'm sure the post-hike flow rate was lower but not noticeable.

Journal Entries

Tap the thing on a rock to loosen all the stuff in there. Then push the water through the filter. It's like the thing is brand new. Found this out in Maine.

Have anyone of you guys taste a rocky flavor when using the filter. I have used mine for over a year and it has developed that taste even when using tap water. I have always taken care of it and it have never froze. And yes, I have backflushed it many times. what should I do?
    Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trbjr View Post
    Have anyone of you guys taste a rocky flavor when using the filter. I have used mine for over a year and it has developed that taste even when using tap water. I have always taken care of it and it have never froze. And yes, I have backflushed it many times. what should I do?
    Thanks
    Funny, mine is just the opposite - it has a Bullwinkle taste. Sorry. Okay, seriously, try filling it in warm white vinegar, letting it sit a while, and back flushing it with vinegar a few times to try to dissolve any mineral salts and deposits that may have built up.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

++ New Posts ++