WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 35 mile hike in Shenandoahs ? need shuttle

I'm looking for about a 35 mile hike in the Shenandoahs May 10 to the 13th... Would arrive from Pa on the 10th around 730 pm would like a short less than mile in to camp and then do about 12 miles per day for 3 days coming off on the 13th....2 Questions where to start and where to get out where I could park a car and get shuttle back to car when finish. ( there will be 4 of us total).. any contact info for a shuttle service. Came through there in 2007 on thru - hike but memory is fading. would like area with high bear activity.

Images

A great 35 mile section is Swift Run to Thornton Gap which covers the Central District of of the park.
    There's a big parking lot at Thorton Gap where the restroom facility building is. Leave your car there and get shuttled to Swift Run Gap.
    Lots of opportunities to see bear, especially early in the morning and late in the evening.

Then there's Big Meadows Wayside where you can cool your heals while having a Blackberry Milkshake .
    If I'm available I might could do it. The visitors center at Rockfish Gap has information on shuttle services.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Agree with above. The hike Friday night to Byrds nest 3 is a nice warm up (3 miles), 11 miles to gravel springs sat and then I think 12 to Lewis Campground.

I'd recommend getting to Old Rag while you're there, if you haven't before. I did a 25 mile weekend including that, Robertson mountain (awesome), and some of Cedar Run and Whiteoak Canyon. Great weekend.

Images

Reread your post noting the 1 mile to camp on the 10 th. So yeah, you start at Thornton Gap and eithet hike south 3 miles , tough uphill though to camp
    The other option is walk an easy 1 mile north to Pass Mountain Hut, set up camp and then hike back out south to Thornton Gap to begin your hike.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

If you do want to incorporate Old Rag, park at the bottom and hike 1.5 miles a camp site on the left at the junction of the Corbin trail. No fires allowed but you can start early and do a sunrise hike before the crowds and then up the skyline, along the ridge and loop back

Edit
    Last edited by Studlintsean; 04-09-2014 at 17:42. Reason: Camp site is off of the fire road not scramble trail.

Thanks for the suggestions I like the idea of starting at swift run gap........I did find a shuttle if I start hike at Big meadows to Front Royal 45 miles a little longer but might be easier shuttling leaving car in Front Royal coming from Pa. What's that section like as an option as well?

Views aren't as great IMO but start Friday at Thornton gap, hike a few miles (very easy hike ) to Pass Mountain, 14 miles sat to Gravel springs, 11 Sunday to Tom Floyd and 4 or 5 Mon to Front Royal. Mileage estimated but this is a nice hike. You could also start in Linden and come opposite way ending at elk wallow or Thornton Gap. I've done this section a few times and you can't go wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions I like the idea of starting at swift run gap........I did find a shuttle if I start hike at Big meadows to Front Royal 45 miles a little longer but might be easier shuttling leaving car in Front Royal coming from Pa. What's that section like as an option as well?
    I hiked the north district of Shenandoah last spring and it was a great hike. Rather than taking the AT to the 522 road crossing and hitching into Front Royal, I took a blue blaze trail (Dickey Ridge Trail) from near Compton Gap directly into Front Royal. I think that the total mileage for the hike was in the low 30s.

I'm hiking all of SNP starting next week and going further north into Pennsylvania so I'll get to repeat the North District again and this time I'll stick with the AT all the way through since I won't be going into Front Royal at all.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Enjoy...I'm going from Smith Roach Gap to ATC HQ (120miles) in seven days from June 14-20...at least that's the plan.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

the lil old lady in Front Royal runs a free hostel, and runs shuttle. like a bat outta hell I might say, don't let her age fool you! awesome hostel set up above 2 car garage, you can leave your car there for free. it's been a couple falls since then for me but if you come back for more in Shenandoah you can do thorton gap to front royal next time. her husband works with the ATC Potomac club, i cant remember the names right now. But for the middle section mentioned in the post above is indeed the premeire section in my opinion, Big meadows wayside is not to be missed. Black Berry shake is traditional

Images

I just did about 35 miles this past weekend- Big Meadows to Loft Mtn. I did not use a shuttle, I just stuck out my thumb. I does not take long to get a ride in the SNP. The most bears I've seen is the section from Loft Mountain to Rockfish Gap.

I am hoping to use shuttle service in front Royal. want to hike from Swift Gap to Thorton Gap. Thanks for the help !

I know it is probably technically illegal in SNP, but I have always found Skyline Drive to be one of the easiest places to hitch from. Just get to any overlook, wait for someone coming the right direction to stop, and ask them if they can give you a ride back to your car. Then come back and get the rest of the crew.

Who is going to shuttle you into Big Meadows.. I am also looking to do the same hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    I know it is probably technically illegal in SNP, but I have always found Skyline Drive to be one of the easiest places to hitch from. Just get to any overlook, wait for someone coming the right direction to stop, and ask them if they can give you a ride back to your car. Then come back and get the rest of the crew.
    It is not illegal. It is easy. My longest wait was 15 minutes.

Sharon I think shes in in Front Royal.. I spoke with her on phone was originally leaving car at her place but now hoping to get car dropped off at Thorton Gap and then shuttled to Swift Run Gap and start hike from there.. I heard it wasn't safe to leave car at Swift Gap or I might of left it there and then hitch back from Thorton Gap to get car after hike.

Hitch hiking is illegal but, I think if you are asking for rides it is mostly ok unless someone complains. I may shuttle some people to Big Meadows if and when you know when you will be coming into the area. Contact me through PM and maybe we can work something out. Happy hiking

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I just got back from a trip in SNP. I will be posting updates each day. For now, Day 1's report is here: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/95

Maybe some of this info will help? Overall, the terrain in the park was pretty darn smooth. Have a blast!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Hitch hiking is illegal but, I think if you are asking for rides it is mostly ok unless someone complains. I may shuttle some people to Big Meadows if and when you know when you will be coming into the area. Contact me through PM and maybe we can work something out. Happy hiking
    i googled it apparently they make an exception to the federal law for federal lands:
    • Shenandoah National Park

Hitchhiking is permitted in the following areas under the conditions noted: Along Skyline Drive and in developed areas when associated with hiking within the park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++