WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hammock Underquilt Questions

I need a fairly lightweight underquilt for my thru hike next year. Currently I have a ENO DoubleNest as my hammock. I slept out last night and the temp got down to 40 and even in my 20* sleeping bag, down coat, and ColdGear tights I was chilled. Now I know I need a pad and that would help. Just being as cold natured as I am I need something more. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

For the weight, a windproof hammock sock is well worth it and really makes an underquilt's rating more accurate by taking away convective cooling. I, too, am cold-natured and I find that drafts are worse than air temperature. Go to hammock forums' For Sale section to look for a second-hand sock or its DIY section to make your own. Best of luck to you!
    "Pips"

Images

I have used a closed cell foam pad down into the high teens with my hammock and been warm enough - the key is to make sure it's wide enough to wrap around the shoulders and hips. I had a 25-inch wide Ridge Rest, which I'm not sure they make anymore. In the summer I have used a 3/4 length standard RR and it's plenty when temps don't drop below 50. CCF pads have several advantages -- they are dirt cheap, for one, and multiuse, as I can use it as a ground pad when I eat lunch or take a nap at an overlook, or I can use it to sleep in shelter if absolutely necessary. The biggest disadvantage is comfort, as they are not as comfortable as an underquilt.

I did buy a quilt from Jacks r Better, which can be used as either an underquilt or a regular top quilt. Seems to work well either way, and it was not that expensive nor heavy, but it's rated to 45F or so. I use it as a top quilt with my 3/4 pad in the summer in my hammock. The JrB folks seem to make some good gear.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I've got the Hennessy A-sym ultra-lite with the 4 season winter kit. Underskirt blocks wind, underpad in between cut drafts, and I use cheap windshield heat reflector. I've slept out in Negative temps in upstate PA in January and several blizzards without any problems. it's a tad expensive and maybe 4.5 lbs with the winter kit but you retain the comfort advantage. not having to lay directly on the pad inside the hammock since it hangs just below means you keep that feel. and it stays in place throughout the night.

AT 2012

good news is you have time to figure this out! cheap/multipurpose foam pad... comfortable underquilt... great comfort enhancer hammock sock. those are the ingredients for happy hammocking.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    good news is you have time to figure this out! cheap/multipurpose foam pad... comfortable underquilt... great comfort enhancer hammock sock. those are the ingredients for happy hammocking.
    Love the idea of a hammock sock. Not sure where to buy one though.

Images

Thanks guys. Thats all the help I need.

Images

i have been out many nights and some below zero in the last 6 years, but i have never used a pad or a sock thing. i good quilt hung right and a tarp hung right should get you through anything.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Contact Paul or Missy at undergroundquilts.com they can talk you through what you need. Their customer service is one of the best. And they're having a sale right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl:1869812
    i have been out many nights and some below zero in the last 6 years, but i have never used a pad or a sock thing. i good quilt hung right and a tarp hung right should get you through anything.
    +1 There is no substitute for a good UQ.

I would highly recommend looking into a UQ from Hammock Gear. I have been doing business with Adam and Stormcrow for a long time and can say for the price, quality, and weight its my personal opinion that you wont find products at a cheaper price anywhere else. I currently own 3UQs and 3TQs form them. There is a reason why I keep going back.

Nope, don't need a pad just an underquilt and a night or two to begin trusting your new piece of gear. Same thing with a top quilt, first night and you will be a believer.

Now some folks do carry a small piece of reflectix (12" x 18") or a small inflatable pad like a thermarest liteseat as a backup to put under a cold spot (i.e. butt, feet) works great. I don't bother with it till it gets down toward the low 20's.

One piece of advice, get a friend to help you adjust the underquilt while you are laying in the hammock. They can reach in between the hammock and the quilt to find any gaps and adjust accordingly. The quilt really needs to be snug against the hammock, no air gaps.

David

Images

You should attend a group hammock hang so you can check out some different setups and help you decide what will work for you.

Depending on where you live in VA, there is group hang at Merchants Mill Pond State Park in NC this weekend https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-13-April-2014

and the Smoked Butt Hang at Falls Lake State Park in NC in May https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oked-Butt-Hang

Even if you can not spend the weekend, at least stop by for a few hours to talk the hangers and check out their setups
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I generally use a jacks R better UQ rated at about 20 degrees I have slept very well in the 20's get a good UQ it is versatile can be used as a top quilt also but as someone else mentioned make sure u hang it correctly. Once I got my UQ tuned in right I just leave the attachments on my hammock and simply snap it on with four small caribiners that i leave attached to the loops on the ends on the UQ that Jacks r Better sells. I f you want more information check out hammock forums

Warbonnet Hammocks makes an excellent full surround "sock" that I used down to 22 degrees. No condensation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Last year I left the underquilt at home in the spring for weight savings and ended up borrowing a closed cell pad. Even when pitched correctly a heavy wind on a ridge can be chilling. I agree if the flaps are down and pegged they trap air like a cocoon but if they flap the loss of heat is very quick. I am thinking a pad is nice for a chilly three season an underquilt if you can afford it is better, but if you are four season, go with the quilt, before spending cash for socks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Warbonnet Hammocks makes an excellent full surround "sock" that I used down to 22 degrees. No condensation.
    what did you use the sock with, Pad? Quilt?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

One additional question. Can anyone recommend a good full coverage tarp. My ENO Profly just isn't cutting it.

If you've got the cabbage, a cuben fiber (so, so light) from hammockgear or z-packs is the bomb. Very durable. I have the HG winter tarp for full coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    what did you use the sock with, Pad? Quilt?
    I used a JRB Nest under quilt and a JRB Old Rag Mtn over quilt. I don't use a pad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++