WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kitchen clean up

I use Camp Suds as an all-purpose soap, but would like some suggestions re how to clean up pots, bowls, spoons, etc. I eat out of a bowl instead of the pouch because I like feeling like a civilized man. I usually take a Brillo pad and a small washcloth, but it seems heavy and unhygienic. Any tips on how to do the dishes? Thanks.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I basically do the exact same thing... except my "Brillo pad" is a small piece of one of those sponges with the built-in scrub pad (less than 1/4 of the original sponge) and my "washclosth" is a small size pack-towel that's simply used to dry the dishes.

I am very careful to not burn food onto my pot, eat from the pot, an clean up with plain hot water. I do use two pots. True cooking and hot water for cleanup and drinks are worth a few ounces to me.

Instead of the brillo, you might try a piece of netting (like what onions or oranges come in). You could wad it or knot it to use it, but then open it up again to clean it. Instead of the washcloth, you might try a piece of an auto-dry towel. They wring out really well.

Shouldn't be very heavy either - with or without the staple.

-FA

I usually use one pot and one spoon. At the end of the meal I scrape the pot as clean as possible and lick my spoon.

The next meal the pot is sterilized by the water I'm boiling as is my spoon I use to stir my food in the boiling water.

I use no soap or scrubber with my cookware.

Stainless pot scrubber will last a long time. Not for use on nonstick pots and pans.

I use leaves...works great

I never use soap. I carry a small piece of Scotch bright pad, but if I really burn something to the pot, I use some fine gravel. Usually I just wipe the pot with my fingers and rinse.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Instead of the brillo, you might try a piece of netting (like what onions or oranges come in). You could wad it or knot it to use it, but then open it up again to clean it. Instead of the washcloth, you might try a piece of an auto-dry towel. They wring out really well.

Shouldn't be very heavy either - with or without the staple.

-FA
    Me too, but I cut off the staple. I guess that make me a gram weenie. One advantage of eating out of a bowel is it is easy to lick clean. By not using soap you can drink the "dishwater"

I use one pot to make the hot water, so that's easy to clean. But licking things clean, and putting it back in my pack seems like an invitation to diarrhea and worse. Like i said, I'm a civilized man, not a dog. Soap is one of the top 10 things humanity has invented. Netting seems like a good idea; I will try that, with soap.

I only have one pot (and one spork) and use it for everything. I just wash the pot out with my fingers. If something is stuck, sand works well. A drop of Dr. B’s on occasion. If I want to wash me, I have a microfiber cloth that weighs less than two tenths of an ounce that I can drop into heated water in my pot.

If you use a wood stove just put some of the white ashes in the pot and scrub it clean. As long as there is some oil or grease from the food still in the pan it will get clean. Ash and oil makes soap so now you don't need to bring soap, unless you shower in the woods because this may be a bit harsh on the skin.

Ken

Freezer-bag cooking solves your problem. I simply lick my spoon clean. Every few times I will take a drop of my fuel and rub it down good then rinse well.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Biodeg...an+soap+sheets

With my bandana. I just usually FBC, so the soap and water are for my hands, face and spoon.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I never use soap. I carry a small piece of Scotch bright pad, but if I really burn something to the pot, I use some fine gravel. Usually I just wipe the pot with my fingers and rinse.
    I'm like Slo except I'm cooking for 5. I have a 4 quart pot and a 2 quart pot. One for cooking and one for water/baking. Assuming I haven't burned anything, I bring along a small flexible spatula to wipe down the pot really good. Nothing unhygenic about it and it goes into our bowls or the dog. This has made cleanup night and day easier for us. If I was just cooking for one in a small pot, I might use a credit card or something similar to save on weight. We use a piece of Scotch bright pad if we need to scrub and a bit of Dr. Bronners biodegradable soap. If something does burn on, I just grab a bit of ash from the firepit or some fine sand/gravel like Slo. That works better than a brillo pad, imo.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

FBC puts all those nasty petrochemicals into your food.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Don't you spice your food? But, actually, that is a false statement. Temperatures are not nearly high enough for that to happen. Try again......
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by psyon27 View Post
    If you use a wood stove just put some of the white ashes in the pot and scrub it clean. As long as there is some oil or grease from the food still in the pan it will get clean. Ash and oil makes soap so now you don't need to bring soap, unless you shower in the woods because this may be a bit harsh on the skin.

Ken
    Huge thank you +1!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Complete nonsense.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Complete nonsense.
    Ditto......
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++