WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default SOBO (starting 6/26/14) gear list advice desired

If you have any suggestions on my gear list; I am pushing 20lbs, w/out food and H20!
    I weigh 164, btw.
    Thanks

Here's the (corrected) link: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18471

Nick
    Last edited by Nick P; 04-09-2014 at 07:16.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

I am not sure if it is just me doing something wrong, but the link just brings me to the log-in screen rather than your list

Journal Entries

Sorry about that; new program I am messing with.
    I fixed it now:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18471

sorry
    Last edited by Nick P; 04-09-2014 at 06:41.

Looking good Nick - looks like you included some things that you are wearing in the list (like your hiking boots), so the weight on your back is less than it seems from the list.

But the thing that jumps out at me is that your pack weighs 60 oz - that's 5 pounds. If you can spend the money, there are lots of packs out there in the 1.5 - 2 lb category that are durable and will save you 3 lbs or more. I use a Gossamer Gear Pack that comes in at 2 lbs. (Just as an example - I'm not saying that would be best for you). It's just one big sack inside, but I love it. You probably want something that can carry 30 lbs and has a hipbelt.

You didn't list any electronics. No phone? No kindle? No phone charger?

I agree with forrest, on the whole, it is not too bad. if you take out the things you will be wearing that will signigficantly reduce your pack weight. This might just be personal preference for you to have, but I am thinking that I am going to forego bringing camp/ river crossing shoes. if you eliminated that it would take off more than a pound and a half from your pack weight. As far as switching to a lighter pack, I would suggest taking a look at the Granite Gear Crown 60, it is another solid option next to the gossamer gear.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    Looking good Nick - looks like you included some things that you are wearing in the list (like your hiking boots), so the weight on your back is less than it seems from the list.

But the thing that jumps out at me is that your pack weighs 60 oz - that's 5 pounds. If you can spend the money, there are lots of packs out there in the 1.5 - 2 lb category that are durable and will save you 3 lbs or more. I use a Gossamer Gear Pack that comes in at 2 lbs. (Just as an example - I'm not saying that would be best for you). It's just one big sack inside, but I love it. You probably want something that can carry 30 lbs and has a hipbelt.

You didn't list any electronics. No phone? No kindle? No phone charger?
    Thanks Forrest.
    You're right, my actual pack weight is 13.64 (incl. the phone and camera which I just added).
    I have an irrational loyalty to Gregory, having used them for years and having had great service from them, and the pack fits great and has all the functionality I need; on the other hand, their quality doesn't seem to be what it used to be, or at that of the Z line of packs isn't, and they've always been heavy.
    See you on the trail!
    Nick

Journal Entries

[QUOTEThis might just be personal preference for you to have, but I am thinking that I am going to forego bringing camp/ river crossing shoes. if you eliminated that it would take off more than a pound and a half from your pack weight. [/QUOTE]

I go back and forth on this, contrast009, expecting a very wet New England--I am starting in BSP on 6/26--with lots of stream crossing, and like the idea of having something, anything, to relieve my feet in at the end of a day. I have crocs, which are half of the weight, but they aren't exactly built for comfort, whereas I could actually walk a few miles in the sandals I list here.
    Thanks for the thought!
    Nick

Couple things that come to mind. You list a filter and AquaMira - need for both? I don't see any water bottles or bladder. Don't forget a bandana and a couple of feet of duct tape on your hiking poles. You may want another dry-sack for the clothes you're not wearing. And I always include a couple of large safety pins to dry socks on your pack while hiking. Just some thoughts. Best of luck and have a blast.

I don't see any rain gear. Some people do without, but I wouldn't want to be in the Whites or the Smokies on a cold, rainy, windy day without at least a top with a hood to shed most of the rain -- your Marmot Dri-clime isn't water resistant, is it?. I don't believe it is supposed to be.

I think forest! was having a bit of a "senior moment" (that's ok, I have them too) when he described your 60 ounce pack as weighing 5 pounds -- that would be 3.75 pounds and much more mainstream for a thru-hiker than a 5 pound pack would be.

Good luck! I've often thought that late June would be my starting date too if I ever tried a SOBO thru-hike.
    Last edited by map man; 04-09-2014 at 21:39.

Hi Spinoza,

I'll echo Shae's and Map Man's recommendations for adding a bandana, water bottles, and some sort of rain gear. You might also want a pack cover, unless you go the poncho route for a dual pack/body rain protection. The bandana seems like a luxury, but it is one of the best multi-function pieces of gear to have along.

BTW - I'm starting two days after you; perhaps I'll see you somewhere in Maine!

- Gravity

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    You list a filter and AquaMira - need for both? I don't see any water bottles or bladder. Don't forget a bandana and a couple of feet of duct tape on your hiking poles. You may want another dry-sack for the clothes you're not wearing. And I always include a couple of large safety pins to dry socks on your pack while hiking.
    Good advice here; I've never used my Sawyer, truth be told, but have read of some dry-spells in the Mid-Atlantic states in Sept/Oct, and given its light-weight, thought I'd bring it with what I typically use, Aqua-Mira. I will ship it with my trail-runners to MA/CT on my first mail-drop.

I was planning on using two smartwater bottles, as am not expecting to haul much H20 for the first month or so, though am expecting to get an opportunity to be "trail ambassador" for a new line of disposable/recyclable bladders for possible use on the remainder.

Bandana and duct-tape...sound you are.

I have a dry-sack (of unknown brand and origin) for my clothes...neglected to include it, but will do so for my own peace of mind.

My pack has lots of elastic ties and the like, so no foreseen need for pins.

Thanks a bill', Shae!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I don't see any rain gear. Some people do without, but I wouldn't want to be in the Whites or the Smokies on a cold, rainy, windy day without at least a top with a hood to shed most of the rain -- your Marmot Dri-clime isn't water resistant, is it?. I don't believe it is supposed to be.

I think forest! was having a bit of a "senior moment" (that's ok, I have them too) when he described your 60 ounce pack as weighing 5 pounds -- that would be 3.75 pounds and much more mainstream for a thru-hiker than a 5 pound pack would be.

Good luck! I've often thought that late June would be my starting date too if I ever tried a SOBO thru-hike.
    I felt that I had to choose between the Dri-clime and Precip and while I like the hood's "rain-shedding" function, I feel too constrained and can't hear in it! (Odd reason, I realize.) I prefer a hat with a brim, to keep rain off of my glasses, and to which I can attach a headnet if/when the flies get intolerable. I'm Irish, and don't mind the rain, but maybe the Precip is a better choice; I remember it raining as much in Maine as in Ireland!

Thanks for spotting Forrest's slight exaggeration of the weight of my pack; it is as you say, but usually seems like he says, and besides...there are lighter packs out there.

I like my odds of finishing, given my start-date, but feel somewhat hurried to get to the Smokies before too late into November; it was very cold when I last hiked around Clingman's Dome.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canute600 View Post
    Hi Spinoza,

You might also want a pack cover, unless you go the poncho route for a dual pack/body rain protection.

BTW - I'm starting two days after you; perhaps I'll see you somewhere in Maine!

- Gravity
    Thanks for the thoughts, Gravity!

My Gregory has a top-notch pack cover, put to good use on the Pinhoti a few weeks ago.

I will definitely look for you in the HMW, as I expect Katahdin to knock the stuffing out of me!!!

Nick

Journal Entries

Default Grateful

These comments really mean a lot to me. I am not the "expedition-planner" type of hiker, but usually throw some stuff I think the kids and I might need in the car and head out...lol. I did manage a week on the Pinhoti once, with one resupply (if a six-pack and peanuts count as supplies) but nothing even approaching this logistical monstrosity. With whiteblaze's help, and with some small adjustments, I might just have a chance of pulling this thing out of my arse.

Lots o' love,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post

Sorry, I was dividing pounds by inches instead of ounces. You're lucky I remembered to divide and not multiply! Now if I could only remember where I left my reading glasses...

Journal Entries

FYI, I had to get off the trail in Damascus, last week. My sleeping bags (both the 30-degree down and a cheap 0-degree synthetic from Kelty) weren't adequate to the low temps at altitude. Finances were also an issue. Planning on finishing in May-June.

You don't need river crossing shoes. At the end of the day let your feet breathe, rub them, walk around barefoot for ten minutes before you go to bed. You'll be surprised how little time you actually spend in camp if you walk all day.

You don't need a pack cover. Line your backpack with a trash compactor bag. Cheap, bomber rain gear.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

++ New Posts ++