WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I look for more cushioning due to how my forefoot feels when doing 10+ miles or descending 2k feet in 3 miles. From the ball of my foot through my big toe burns. Stock insoles had cushioning but it's gone after 300 miles. The boot under the insole is rock hard so the insole is all I have.

If I'm replacing insoles at same rate folks replace trail runners I'm fine with that.

Images

Everyone is different of course, but I personally LOVE my SuperFeet insoles. I do lots of hiking, running, and working 12 hour shifts as a nurse. I always wear the insoles and have never had plantar fa*****is or other foot problems. It just depends on whether or not you need the arch support, which I do. I bet the SOles are similar.

I use Montrail heat moldable inserts in my shoes. Compared to the stock insoles supplied with New Balances trail runners and winter boots, they have a more pronounced arch. When I first started using them, the arch was far more noticeable and felt too aggressive. It took me a couple of weeks of wearing them around the house and I got used to them. They do take up a bit more volume than stock inserts so shoe sizing could be an issue. I use Green superfeet in my work boots.

The Montrails have a rigid heel cup and arch which work well for distributing point loads from rock hopping in the whites.

I use two pairs of Montrails and swap them out.

Images

UPDATE - I have been wearing my Cadence inserts for about 2 weeks now. Feel great, heels feel so much. I like them more than my Superfeet that I have worn for years, and even better than my custom inserts from the Doc.
    Later!
    "If you see me lying on the trail, push me over the edge, so I'm not blocking anybody's path." - Just Passin' Thru

I bought a pair of Kean Hiking boots about 5 weeks ago with the recommended green superfeet insoles. I liked them very much, about 2 weeks ago I started having a very severe groin pain in my right leg. I didn't notice at first but it seems when I'm not wearing the hiking boots the pain diminishes and some not noticeable. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Anytime there's a space, even a rather small space, between your after market orthotic and the inside of your hiking shoe there's a big potential for increasing irritation and soreness. Don't know if you're still around Rubra but the irritation you described on the sides of the heels when using the green Superfeet is the exact same reason why I can't and don't use Superfeet.

Hmm, the salesman told you the green Superfeet might take some time to break them in too? Suspect!~ Did he heat mold them for ya?

Superfeet insoles can be heat molded?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

There was a guy Phil Orens who ran "boot camps" around the country who developed the vacuum/heat molded Superfeet. Near you, Travel Country in Altamonte Springs, east of Orlando, still does it his way. It eliminates the break-in period by molding the Superfeet to fit your feet at rest, unsupported. It worked well for me, but with my low volume (flat) feet, I found that they naturally molded themselves to my feet in a relatively short time. Count me as a Superfeet believer.

Must have been an off day for Travel Country then. Cause that's where I got my Superfeet insoles and _nobody_ mentioned molding them to my feet!
    What about DIY? Possible? Put them in a warm towel or something to soften the matrial?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

The BLUE superfeet save my arches. Worth every penny.

I'm sorry, ChuckT. Perhaps Travel Country stopped offering that service. They had a raised wooden throne-like chair and would put a foam wedge under your thigh, so your leg was suspended. They separated the green foam part of the Superfeet from the gray plastic and heated the foam part in a little oven. Then they slapped the heated foam against your sole, and placed a plastic bag over your foot. There was a plastic hose running from the bag to a vacuum pump and they secured the plastic bag around your ankle. As the vacuum formed, the bag shrank, pulling the insole against your foot. Then they put the plastic piece back on and you were good to go. Repeat with the other foot. The custom Superfeet held your feet in a relaxed position as you hiked. You might phone them and see if they are still doing the custom molding. I drive over from Sarasota because these guys know feet and shoes. They make my feet happy and so I buy what I can from them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++