WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Picking the Right Hammock

I have been looking into purchasing a hammock for a while now. I was at Trail Days last year (2013) and was able to lay in a Hennessy as well as a Jacks'R'Better bridge hammock. I was impressed with both. I have also had the opportunity to lay in the Warbonnet Blackbird and additional Hennessy's due to friends having them. I can not tell much if any of a difference between the Warbonnet and Hennessy. The JRB is unique in the bridge style which seemed like it may be more comfortable but brings several drawbacks. The following are hammocks I'm considering:

WarBonnet Blackbird Double 1.1 or 1.7
    Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker Zip
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock - Deluxe or Ultra Light

Any opinions or advice concerning these models would be much appreciated. I'm trying to consider weight, comfort, ease of set up, customer support, and additional features (footbox, gear hangers, mesh pockets, suspension options, accessories, and how well a pad works with the hammock). Thanks again for all your help!

-B

I am no expert on hammocks though I did sleep for about three straight months in my ENO last year (in my backyard). If you are going to use a sleeping pad for under insulation I highly recommend a double layer hammock to prevent the pad from moving around. Unless you must sleep on your stomach or side (side sleeping is possible in a gathered end hammock) I would not get a bridge hammock - but then I am not you. I have yet to hear of anyone not being happy with a Warbonnet. On hammockforums I get the impression that many buy up to a Warbonnet from a Hennessey. I look forward to looking at some more hammocks at Trail Days this year.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Images

I am looking forward to seeing them at Trail Days as well. Last year JRB had great deals and Hennessy did as well. Hennessy not only had major discounts but were also offering the radiant double bubble pad, water catchers, etc free of charge. I'm hoping to have my decision made before Trail Days so if I can save some money if I decide on a company that will be there.

I have owned several hammocks. Of the options you list, I am most familiar with the WBBB. I own 2; a 1.7 SL and a 1.1 DL. Warbonnet provides quality, USA sewn products. The Blackbirds are extremely comfortable. The Footbox design is remarkable. While I use whoppie slings on my other hammocks, both my Blackbirds have the webbing and buckle suspensions (highly recommend).

When flying insects are not an issue, I prefer my Wilderness Logics Lite Owl but, June through August, I spend most nights in a Blackbird.

Good Luck

Images

you know there are like 10-20 other companies out there. why pigeonhole your choices? im concidering a dream hammock for my 6th one.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you know there are like 10-20 other companies out there. why pigeonhole your choices? im concidering a dream hammock for my 6th one.
    I too would like to try Dream Hammock but, too many choices overwhelm me. Which model Dream Hammock would you recommend?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I too would like to try Dream Hammock but, too many choices overwhelm me. Which model Dream Hammock would you recommend?
    ill let papa smurf pick that. need 11 ft, with net, 200lb limit, lightest setup i can get.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

https://www.hammockforums.net/

I have the old style JRB BMB hammock and am very happy with it.

Every style/manufacturer has its fans. The best thing to do is to attend a hang and see what you like.

I have a lot of experience with Hammocks. Everything ranging from ENO, JRB, Hennesy Hammocks and so on. I live down the street from JRB and can say first hand that the Jacks are great guys and I've learned a lot from them.

In my quest to find lightest hammock set up possible I stumbled into Dream Hammocks and have since sold all of my other hammocks. I cant say enough about Papasmurf and the quality of his products. My favorite hammock is the Darien UL. I dont think he has it listed on his site anymore but if you ask I'm sure he will make you one.

Mine comes in at 13.1oz and that includes whoopie hook suspension, tree straps, built in zipper bug netting with ridgeline, cuban gear hang, cuban stuff sack, and TI UQ hooks. Toss in my HG Cuban fly at 5.4oz and TI stakes at 0.76oz. Total weight is 19.2oz

++ New Posts ++