WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please Tear Apart My SOBO AT Gear List !!!

Hi!

My name is Tyler, and I will be starting my SOBO AT journey along with my girlfriend around June 9th 2014.

I have a gear list put together so far and I wanted you nice folks to let me know what you think.

I would like to point out that my girlfriend and I will be together for this hike and so we will be splitting some of the weight of the shared items.
    I have put the total weight for our Cookset and our tent without figuring how we will divide those weights yet.

I think I will be getting probably two larger dry-sacs soon, one for food and the other for clothes or garbage. and I also have yet to add my paracord. These weights won't have much of an effect on my total anyways, just saying

Here is the link to my list, Thank you!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18384

Headnet? SOBO in June, that might be a good decision....

Journal Entries

Hey Tyler!

Great list with top-notch gear!
    I am two weeks behind you, and have a similar load, but have no plans for a down jacket until the Smokies in Nov, just long-sleeved base, fleece and rain-shell.
    Some people bounce the 2nd half of Awol's guide to Harpers Ferry (e.g.) to save on weight and to keep it intact, but it's whatev'.

I do have a headnet, and plan on permethrin-ing all of my clothes and some gear soon.

All the best to you and yours; perhaps I will catch you, though I am in no hurry.
    Last edited by Nick P; 04-06-2014 at 07:55.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

I've been looking at a few but i'm worried about the hole sizing. I heard that the blackflies are small enough to pass through some nets. Do you know if thats true?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    Hey Tyler!

Great list with top-notch gear!
    I am two weeks behind you, and have a similar load, but have no plans for a down jacket until the Smokies in Nov, just long-sleeved base, fleece and rain-shell.
    Some people bounce the 2nd half of Awol's guide to Harpers Ferry (e.g.) to save on weight and to keep it intact, but it's whatev'.

I do have a headnet, and plan on permethrin-ing all of my clothes and some gear soon.

All the best to you and yours; perhaps I will catch you, though I am in no hurry.
    Well Thanks!

I'm debating chopping down my AWOL into thirds, but I kind of wanted to spare it as a keepsake with anything I might write in during the hike.
    I will probably just take the go-lite initially and pick up the down jacket when I reach home. (Northern Virginia)

It would be nice to meet, but the only thing that could slow me down a few weeks would be injury so in that sense, lets hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by TAC9237 View Post
    I've been looking at a few but i'm worried about the hole sizing. I heard that the blackflies are small enough to pass through some nets. Do you know if thats true?
    You're from Virginia? Think of a blackfly as a large gnat - to my old eyes they look about the same as a gnat, just bigger. So regular mosquito netting keeps them out. Gnats are a nuisance, black flies are vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    You're from Virginia? Think of a blackfly as a large gnat - to my old eyes they look about the same as a gnat, just bigger. So regular mosquito netting keeps them out. Gnats are a nuisance, black flies are vicious.
    Yes Sir, Hampton Roads.

Thanks for the info that's good to know

Hi Tyler,

Great gear list! You look good to go. I don't know if it's included in your first aid kit, but you may want to bring a set of finger nail clippers and a set of tweezers, needle or something to remove ticks. I noticed Nick mentioned treating gear and clothing with permethrin. I think that's a good idea as well. I'm heading sobo on June 8th and I look forward to meeting you. See ya on the trail. Andy P

Images

Just a few comments, remember you asked

I would take another look at you cook kit. Unless you are planning to do gourmet cooking, I would suggest getting rid of the bowl and cup. 1 pot is all you need. Unless your girlfriend is going to use the bowl, then just dump the cup.

Looks like you need another water bottle to me. Smart water or Gatorade.

Fabricate a heat shield for your pocket rocket, make sure it is well vented at the bottom to keep the canister from overheating. Aluminum flashing from the Home Depot works well for this and the weight will be mare than offset by the fuel you will save when its windy.

No need for a pack towel and a bandanna.

You might want a small thing of sunscreen. I don't know how easy you burn, but it's something that is easy to dump in a hikerbox if you find you never need it, but if you get sunburn, you will be miserable for a few days. Might be worth the 2oz.

Are you ever planning to hang you food? I didn't see any line? (never mind, just saw where you are planning to take paracord)

Crocs are pretty heavy for what they offer, and they are dangerous on river crossings (IMHO) because your feet slip around in them.

I don't see a compass, if you feel you don't need one, just make sure you have a compass app on your phone. There are times when knowing where north is can keep you from doing stupid things.

I don't see rain pants, even if you don't hike in them, they are great to have in camp on cold wet windy days.

You might want some type of ground cloth for when you stay in shelters. Shelters are pits, and the ground cloth helps keep your gear clean and helps to keep your pad from popping a leak from a splinter from the shelter floor. It also makes a good sit pad when folded up (when everything in sight is wet and muddy).

One last thing, and I know you didn't ask, but I highly recommend you don't divide the gear in a way that makes your girlfriend totally dependent on you. For both safety and sanity, she needs to be able to hike independent of you. It can be unnecessarily stressful and possibly dangerous to be put in a situation where your safety and well being is totally dependent on someone else. She needs the freedom to be safe warm and dry when she is not with you. She may end up carrying more weight, but she will thank you in the long run.

+1 on making sure each of you has enough gear to make do if you are separated. Also, don't underestimate how cold and nasty in can be at elevation in ME and NH. Rainpants are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Parmelee View Post
    Hi Tyler,

Great gear list! You look good to go. I don't know if it's included in your first aid kit, but you may want to bring a set of finger nail clippers and a set of tweezers, needle or something to remove ticks. I noticed Nick mentioned treating gear and clothing with permethrin. I think that's a good idea as well. I'm heading sobo on June 8th and I look forward to meeting you. See ya on the trail. Andy P
    Thanks! I have a needle in there and was thinking about clippers.
    Permethrin would be a good idea if I ever get around to it, haha.

See you out there.

wookinpanub

Might be considered a personal preference, but thin liner socks are a must for my feet. 2 pr would suffice and they weigh next to nothing. That time of year in Maine, with trail runners, your feet will be soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Just a few comments, remember you asked

I would take another look at you cook kit. Unless you are planning to do gourmet cooking, I would suggest getting rid of the bowl and cup. 1 pot is all you need. Unless your girlfriend is going to use the bowl, then just dump the cup.

Looks like you need another water bottle to me. Smart water or Gatorade.

Fabricate a heat shield for your pocket rocket, make sure it is well vented at the bottom to keep the canister from overheating. Aluminum flashing from the Home Depot works well for this and the weight will be mare than offset by the fuel you will save when its windy.

No need for a pack towel and a bandanna.

You might want a small thing of sunscreen. I don't know how easy you burn, but it's something that is easy to dump in a hikerbox if you find you never need it, but if you get sunburn, you will be miserable for a few days. Might be worth the 2oz.

Are you ever planning to hang you food? I didn't see any line? (never mind, just saw where you are planning to take paracord)

Crocs are pretty heavy for what they offer, and they are dangerous on river crossings (IMHO) because your feet slip around in them.

I don't see a compass, if you feel you don't need one, just make sure you have a compass app on your phone. There are times when knowing where north is can keep you from doing stupid things.

I don't see rain pants, even if you don't hike in them, they are great to have in camp on cold wet windy days.

You might want some type of ground cloth for when you stay in shelters. Shelters are pits, and the ground cloth helps keep your gear clean and helps to keep your pad from popping a leak from a splinter from the shelter floor. It also makes a good sit pad when folded up (when everything in sight is wet and muddy).

One last thing, and I know you didn't ask, but I highly recommend you don't divide the gear in a way that makes your girlfriend totally dependent on you. For both safety and sanity, she needs to be able to hike independent of you. It can be unnecessarily stressful and possibly dangerous to be put in a situation where your safety and well being is totally dependent on someone else. She needs the freedom to be safe warm and dry when she is not with you. She may end up carrying more weight, but she will thank you in the long run.
    Thanks for the input!

We will probably take your advice and bring just the bowl with the pot, so we don't have to wait to eat.

I was considering the platypus bag as an alternative to a second bottle, however it may be that those two were only good enough for my shorter hikes.

I have flashing at the house, and have heard mixed concerns about blowing up the canisters lol. I planned on trying something out just haven't so far.

I'm pretty dark skinned and never ever burn.

I like the comfort of my crocks but i've never used them crossing streams.

I was hoping I could forgo the pants, but you people are making me rethink that

hadn't thought about the ground cloth, but i'm pretty strained on my budget already so well see.

and finally we both have our concerns about dependency, but we don't want to have to carry separate cooking systems or shelter. Partially because of space and partially because of expense.
    We both will carry our own food water and we will have our own fire starting and first aid.

For the shelter situation she will most likely carry the rain fly and will be able to fast fly worst case scenario. I will carry the actual tent dome and the seemless waterproof bottom of that will just have to be magyvered if I need some rain cover.

Images

A ground cloth does not have to cost much of anything. A small chunk of Tyvek from a construction site, a piece of a $2 painter drop cloth, or even a cut down emergency blanket. Anyway just a thought, it is certainly not needed to be successful.

As for the windscreen, Just make sure its well ventilated on the bottom (lots of big holes), and don't make it so tight around the pot that the heat can't escape (give about a half inch at least around the pot on all sides). Remember heat goes up, if you give it a place to go. The idea is to block the wind, not seal in the heat like an alcohol stove windscreen. Before my Jetboil, I reduced fuel consumption by about 15-20% with a windscreen on my canister stove.

how about a bump

Journal Entries

Tyler,
    I never thanked you for the www.geargrams.com link; I like how you can use the same gear library to make several possible lists, such as as one for Summer and another for Winter.
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    Tyler,
    I never thanked you for the www.geargrams.com link; I like how you can use the same gear library to make several possible lists, such as as one for Summer and another for Winter.
    Nick
    Oh, No doubt!

It's a great utility if you're as nit picky as I can be.

and if more people use it, the more products will be uploaded. Theoretically, one could just type in their gear on the search bar and know the total weight without having to weigh it themselves

You don't need to wear shorts and carry pants, just pick one. Convertible pants are nice because you can unzip the bottoms when you go to sleep to keep your bag safe from the mud.
    Smartwool is OK... but Darntough is the *****.
    Crocs are too heavy, just a pair of flip flops are great.
    Otherwise a pretty realistic and solid list. You could cut a pound or so if you got really nit-picky.
    Good luck on your hike

Quote Originally Posted by theGABE View Post
    You don't need to wear shorts and carry pants, just pick one. Convertible pants are nice because you can unzip the bottoms when you go to sleep to keep your bag safe from the mud.
    Smartwool is OK... but Darntough is the *****.
    Crocs are too heavy, just a pair of flip flops are great.
    Otherwise a pretty realistic and solid list. You could cut a pound or so if you got really nit-picky.
    Good luck on your hike
    Thanks,
    Do you mean when I go to sleep, don't wear the muddy bottoms inside of my sleeping bag? cause, well... yeah
    Would you suggest maybe some cheap dollar flops?

-tyler

++ New Posts ++