WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Catawba, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I thought the food was great. The only thing better was the company I was with, Hiker Mom and Deer Hunter!

Attachment 26655
    That was a good time for sure, Astro! Deer Hunter had never been to the Homeplace! We all had become good friends through WB. First time meetings are the BEST.

Now, we are just ole pals. What is it called? .. BFFs

Yeah, that would be US!!!

DB.. you are correct about the smaller bowls. Kinda annoying actually. We just tell them before they can finish unloading the tray, we need MORE of everything and start handing them the empty bowls. I guess they are trying to cut down on waste. They also got screwed, for a while, by letting people take the "leftovers" home. People would ask for MORE, not eat it & then take it home.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I thought the food was great. The only thing better was the company I was with, Hiker Mom and Deer Hunter!

Attachment 26655
    I was hoping this pic would show up!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Aaah Bones! You'd be safe on my side of the table.
    Illabelle.....I'm not so sure he'd be safe on your side since the biggest carnivore in the group was already in "feed mode"!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I'm planning to hike that section this summer (70 miles NOBO to Daleville). Let's assume I can plan to be in that area between Thursday and Sunday. What's the best way to work out the logistics?

Hike or hitch in from the VA785/Blackburg Rd crossing? or the VA311 Catawba Valley Dr crossing? or VA624/Newport Rd Crossing? Is it reasonable to get in, eat, and back to the trail in time to camp or get to shelter?
    Bumping this question to get some advice.

Bumping this question to get some advice.
    That's sooo easy OMO. Just call me at any of those crossing you mentioned, I'll come get you & gladly take you to the Homeplace for dinner and right back to the trail or whatever. EASY! Just don't plan your trip while I'm hiking in May.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 04-08-2014 at 15:46.

Does the restaurant still allow camping in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Does the restaurant still allow camping in the field?
    I'm not sure about that, I kinda doubt it, Caleb. They use their front lawn for overflow parking now.

Last year I asked the Catawba Grocery if they were hiker friendly. (across the street) They are. They allow hikers to camp on their property. Plus, they have a game room for hikers to hang out.

Images

Best Trail Magic. A section hiker from Atlanta picked up the tab for our entire table of 17 !! I really enjoyed the Fried Chicken and ate a ton of it. The other "meat" I think was very thinly sliced roast beef and the biscuits were OK but the veggies were only good to a thru-hiker.
    And no beer
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    It is a good place to eat, even if they do put the hiker trash behind the partitions.
    That's for protection from pack-sniffers.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Hiker trash adds to the atmosphere.
    Of course it does. I agree Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Welp, I wrote a message to the Homeplace (on their FB page) informing them that the quality of their food was in question. I wanted to them to inform us so we would all know the TRUTH, on the Whiteblaze forum.

I told them that I believed their potatoes are real (not instant) and their veggies are NOT canned.

They responded. Ready for it........"Your opinion is basically correct".

Inquiring minds wanted to know! Chin Music... there you go! :>)

I'm sorry, but I don't see that as a vindication... Of course they're going to deny using canned veggies and instant potatoes, but they did leave the door open for speculation by saying 'basically.'

I'm no culinary expert, but I do agree that a quick google pretty much proves the green beans are canned. They're absolutely not fresh and even frozen beans don't look that dark, in my untrained opinion.

I see no reason to get hung up on it, though. No one is saying it's not a great place to stop. My grandfather took me as a kid and I can't wait to make a return trip some day... I don't even remember going, I've just been told I did.

Images

I am probably that one weird guy that greatly prefers canned green beans. Canned green beans cooked with onion and bacon to me is exactly how they should be, and I could never get used to the taste and texture of fresh or even frozen. Sigh! alas, I gave them up bacuase of the high salt content.

On the other hand there is just no excuse for instant mashed potatoes; that is just plain lazy.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't see that as a vindication... Of course they're going to deny using canned veggies and instant potatoes, but they did leave the door open for speculation by saying 'basically.'

I'm no culinary expert, but I do agree that a quick google pretty much proves the green beans are canned. They're absolutely not fresh and even frozen beans don't look that dark, in my untrained opinion.

I see no reason to get hung up on it, though. No one is saying it's not a great place to stop. My grandfather took me as a kid and I can't wait to make a return trip some day... I don't even remember going, I've just been told I did.
    I'm going with it, MD...

Have you any ideal how many people they serve on a night? A Lot. Do you want to guess how long and how many people it would take to skin potatoes, string green beens, chuck corn for that many people each night? There's no doubt that their vegies arrive in cans. To think otherwise is just...you know. But they don't arrive in any 1 gallon can, they arrive in 55 gallon barrels. Each one goes on top of a burner and each one has a guy with a canoe paddle stirring it all night so it doesn't burn on the bottom. I've been going there since it opened so I know this stuff. It's the same now as it was from the beginning.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Have you any ideal how many people they serve on a night? A Lot. Do you want to guess how long and how many people it would take to skin potatoes, string green beens, chuck corn for that many people each night? There's no doubt that their vegies arrive in cans. To think otherwise is just...you know. But they don't arrive in any 1 gallon can, they arrive in 55 gallon barrels. Each one goes on top of a burner and each one has a guy with a canoe paddle stirring it all night so it doesn't burn on the bottom. I've been going there since it opened so I know this stuff. It's the same now as it was from the beginning.
    That was good.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    That's sooo easy OMO. Just call me at any of those crossing you mentioned, I'll come get you & gladly take you to the Homeplace for dinner and right back to the trail or whatever. EASY! Just don't plan your trip while I'm hiking in May.
    Thanks. I'm going to Canada for the July 4 weekend (visit sister-in-law). Will hike after that. So that would put in Catawba the weekend ~12th. It would be the week after that if I can't get away right after the Canada trip.

Thanks. I'm going to Canada for the July 4 weekend (visit sister-in-law). Will hike after that. So that would put in Catawba the weekend ~12th. It would be the week after that if I can't get away right after the Canada trip.
    ...and I guess a pic for WB will be de rigueur.

Sounds good, OMO. Can't wait to meet ya!

Hikerhead: I never believed that they are shuckin corn or stringing green beans or peeling potatoes in the back of restaurant but they aren't opening cans of green beans/corn or using potatoes flakes with water like Country Cookin does... jus sayin.

Everyone wants to know how they fix those green beans. They are really good!!

They are charging wayy more than Country Cookin does too. They should. Next time I go out there, I'm asking in person.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'm not sure about that, I kinda doubt it, Caleb. They use their front lawn for overflow parking now. ...
    You mean I might have to walk all the way from the overflow parking to the dining room? Crap!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++