WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SHT Thru Hike Stove Choice

A coworker and myself are planning a through hike of the Superior Hiking Trail. We plan on leave around Sept 15 of this year. I currently have a pocket rocket but am having trouble deciding if I should use that, pick up a Jetboil or use a pop can stove. I've seen arguments supporting the use of all three. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Personal choice. All three would work. I personally used an alcohol stove when I hiked the SHT. Fuel (Heet) was readily available when I resupplied in Grand Marais and Finland.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Two hikers w/a Pocket Rocket already in your possession...seems like a no brainer.

I know it would make sense to go with what I already have but would it cut weight and save space to carry Heet over fuel cans

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HobbitsInSpace View Post
    I know it would make sense to go with what I already have but would it cut weight and save space to carry Heet over fuel cans
    If two people are using the same stove, with two hot meals a day, I would say if your average time between resupply points is 4 days or more, the canister stove is probably lighter in the long run. The weight of the alcohol needed starts to exceed the weight of the more fuel efficient canister stoves at that point.

If you each carry your own stove, the alcohol stove will be lighter per person under the same conditions, but probably more weight overall.

I really like the convenience of a canister and I feel it's worth the extra weight even on shorter solo trips. I love my Jetboil, but would not buy one just to replace a pocket rocket.

Agreed with all the above. All three are good choices, but when you already have the pocket rocket and there are two of you, I'd stick with it. Alcohol might be a good option if it were just you. Jetboil is a great system, but what you have will work just fine. You might consider the Olicamp XTS pot though. Would save you some boil time and fuel, but not cost an arm and a leg.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Yep, canister stoves can be lighter, especially if you have easy re-supply and you can utilize almost all of your fuel before you re-supply. Canister stoves are a bit more convenient, but a lot noisier, with more moving parts that can break in the field. A JetBoil would be best in a situation where you cannot easily re-supply before the single canister gives out.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Here is a link to Sgt Rock's page where he did stove comparisons, the thing to keep in mind is their are 2 of you. http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

With 2 people sharing 1 stove the advantages of alcohol is quickly lost, not only on fuel volume and weight but boil and cook time. The Jetboil could have some advantages in your situation, but the pocket rocket should serve you both very well.

I'd stay with what you have, but test so you feel comfortable carrying one small canister.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One of you carry a PR and the other an alcohol stove and compare notes along the way. Would be a great way to get real-world experience using both at the same time to see advantages and disadvantages of both.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    One of you carry a PR and the other an alcohol stove and compare notes along the way. Would be a great way to get real-world experience using both at the same time to see advantages and disadvantages of both.
    Genius! !

Thank you everyone for the great advise. Looks like I'll just stick with my trusty pocket rock. I'll be in the Boundary Waters before I do my thru hike so maybe I can compare it to an alcohol stove then.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Here is a link to Sgt Rock's page where he did stove comparisons, the thing to keep in mind is their are 2 of you. http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html
    I read Rock's comparison and their is nothing in it that would make me switch one way or the other. Fuel availability was my initial reason moving to alcohol stove (from white gas). Canisters are becoming more available but I still see no reason to switch unless regulations/laws etc. make me make temporary changes.

It comes down to preference and what works for you.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

++ New Posts ++