WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool;

I don't think noise will be an issue, but we'll just have to wait and see. Actually, I don't think you'll see too many of them. If you look at those Real time maps of flights, you'd think the sky would be blocked out. [URL
    http://grist.org/list/mesmerizing-real-time-map-of-the-worlds-planes-makes-air-travel-look-like-a-fungal-infection/[/URL]
    Noise is not a problem for those indoors on a near constant basis, but when I'm backpacking and camping in my neck of the woods (Southeast mountains of TN and NC), it's a constant problem and irritation except from between 2am and 5am. It used to be one loud jet overhead, now recently it has grown to 2 or more at a time. The only relief comes when camping in a pounding rainstorm, camping next to a raging creek or waterfall, or in a major windstorm. Otherwise, it's one jet after the other on and on. People who live outdoors for extended periods of time will notice this mess.

I think maybe the Citico and Slickrock wilderness and the Big Frog and Cohutta wilderness and the southern Cherokee NF must be in the flight path of the Atlanta and Chattanooga and Knoxville and Asheville airports. Aren't planes supposed to divert over wilderness areas like in the Desolation W. in Calif?? Nope, not around here.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I'm in the flight path for Dulles airport and I'm 30 miles away. Even indoors at the office 5 miles away I still hear them all day. Now the two fighter jets that road overhead while hiking in southern Virginia, that was very cool, especially for my boy. But I am amazed how often I can still here civilization in one form or another even when I think I'm totally isolated.

And I can't help but give a shout out to "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Except, instead of a can of soda it will be a large pepperoni.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I'm in the flight path for Dulles airport and I'm 30 miles away. Even indoors at the office 5 miles away I still hear them all day. Now the two fighter jets that road overhead while hiking in southern Virginia, that was very cool, especially for my boy. But I am amazed how often I can still here civilization in one form or another even when I think I'm totally isolated.

And I can't help but give a shout out to "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Except, instead of a can of soda it will be a large pepperoni.
    You bring up the news I heard recently that the new F35 fighter jets are FOUR TIMES louder than the current military fighter jets.

Images

Did anyone else here the drone yelling nee ner nee ner at the shooters?

Images

The noise that really drives me crazy isn't from aircraft, but from leaf blowers!
    I know it's not as often you hear a leaf blower, but when I do it makes me wanna go postal for some reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++