WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm very picky with shoes so I always go to REI so I can return. While there I tried on five different shoes before getting the Salomon X-Scream. The Salomon XA 3D, XT Wings 3, X-Scream, and Brooks Cascadia 9, Pure Grit?. I didn't try any barefoot or minimal shoes.

The Salomon Wings were too narrow and I didn't like the XA series at all. Felt like a boot and was also narrow. Also couldn't stand the Ortholite insole system. The X-Scream is Salomon's city trail series which gives more cushion but doesn't use ortholite. It's also mainly mesh and should dry fast. All have removable insoles.

The Brooks Cascadia 9 has loads of cushion from arch to front of shoe. So much so it felt like my toes and ball of foot sat higher in the shoe. But I really liked the cushioning. The Pure Grit was perfect in cushion but too wide near ankle and I can't get a good fit.

I chose Salomon due to speed lacing and more mesh for faster drying time. But I would be happy with the Cascadia too.

Images

I use Paragonia evermore for strictly trail running and the Patagonia everlong for road and trail versatility. Both are feathered weight and have good cushion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++