WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2014 thru-hike hammock v tent with dog

I have a hennessy hammock ultralite backpacker asym zip, but am having second thoughts on using it for my upcoming (beginning of May) thru-hike. The main reason is that I'll be hiking with my dog and I want to have a shelter that will keep us both safe from the elements. Also, the thoughts of stinky warmth cuddling arise..

any advice would be appreciated.

Get a tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by clairedeve View Post
    I have a hennessy hammock ultralite backpacker asym zip, but am having second thoughts on using it for my upcoming (beginning of May) thru-hike. The main reason is that I'll be hiking with my dog and I want to have a shelter that will keep us both safe from the elements. Also, the thoughts of stinky warmth cuddling arise..

any advice would be appreciated.

I have granddogs, and am always worried when they are around my hammock. hammocks are pretty delicate, and there is a lot at stake here!!! ...I agree, get a tent!
    Lazarus

Images

my dog loves my hammock!

IMGP1681.jpgMAHHA Spring '11

don't even own a tent
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I tried hammocking with my dog and it didn't work out for either of us! I toss and turn a lot at night and having a dog in the hammock with me made it almost impossible to move.
    I then tried providing my dog with a sleeping pad beneath my hammock but that didn't work out either! He got tangled in my tarp guy lines and barked at every little sound!
    So now when my dog accompanies me on hikes I carry a tent! He feels more secure inside the tent and I can move about as I need. We're both much happier with this arrangement!

I am SOBO and i purchased the Big Agnes Super Scout UL2 for me and the dog

Quote Originally Posted by redzombie View Post
    I am SOBO and i purchased the Big Agnes Super Scout UL2 for me and the dog
    Review! R E VIEW!!!!

I haven't slept in it yet, but its light weight, and huge and compresses really well. It will fit in a 5 litter bag, and compress down to 3 or 4.! I am impressed with the Vestibule. Its big enough I can bring me and the dog in when it rains to dry him off before going inside. Big enough to cook under, big enough to do whatever. The tie downs and straps are pretty good. The material is so lightweight and thin I am worried about a hole being punched through the bottom, but I guess that's why you use a footprint. Plenty of ventilation, condensation will not be a problem. Oh I use my 20% off coupon at REI so I got it the tent for 300 bucks vs 400. I will let you know my thoughts after I sleep in it.

Images

Little Bird and her dog slept in a Hammock. Both were very small. Overmountain Shelter 5/21/2013
    IMG_0552.jpg

++ New Posts ++