WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Eggs

Question Boiled Eggs

OK I have this theory... Back in the day when we would die easter eggs, they sat out to days, sometimes a week. Then mom would make those same eggs into deviled eggs for Easter Dinner. Sooooo... wouldn't boiled eggs lasted a few days on the trail in a pack, if somewhat protected from crushing?

You can buy plastic containers to hold 6-12 eggs for camping. As for how long the eggs would last, IDK but to aid in helping them last, you can coat them with veg. oil.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Journal Entries

Boiled eggs will definitely last a few days. In cool weather, they will last about as long as they would in your refrigerator. In July, it might be better to eat them in a couple days. They're a nice treat to add to a meal, by the way!

Fresh uncooked eggs last longer. Either will stink if they have gone bad.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Unwashed eggs (i.e. straight from the coop) have a coating called a "bloom" which will preserve them for 10 - 12 days without refrigeration. The eggs you buy at the average grocery store are, washed, of course, and may be several weeks old.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Unwashed eggs (i.e. straight from the coop) have a coating called a "bloom" which will preserve them for 10 - 12 days without refrigeration. The eggs you buy at the average grocery store are, washed, of course, and may be several weeks old.
    Yeah I knew fresh eyes last for a while, hens will let them sit for a week or longer to get her cluster just right before deciding to sit on them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones503 View Post
    Yeah I knew fresh eyes last for a while, hens will let them sit for a week or longer to get her cluster just right before deciding to sit on them.
    There you go. But heaven forbid that we should buy an egg with a bit of feather or worse stuck to it. Might remind us where our food actually comes from.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Consider buying pickled eggs to extend the shelf life a bit. I haven't done a scientific survey (e.g. putting a non-pickled and pickled egg on the counter and waiting for the smell....) but as with most things pickling I would hazard a guess that you could extend the shelf life. Plus, the flavor is mmmm good.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sjones503 View Post
    OK I have this theory... Back in the day when we would die easter eggs, they sat out to days, sometimes a week. Then mom would make those same eggs into deviled eggs for Easter Dinner. Sooooo... wouldn't boiled eggs lasted a few days on the trail in a pack, if somewhat protected from crushing?
    I've taken a combination of boiled and uncooked eggs on my last 10 or so sections hikes.

I usually scramble eggs for breakfast on the first and/or second morning. No problems. REI sells a light weight mini spatula that does a lot better than a spoon for scrambling. I'd suggest picking one up if you're going to scramble eggs.

And boiled eggs for a mid day snack are great. I usually eat them all within 2 days, not because they go bad, but their calorie to weight ration is not great.

I always take 5-7 boiled eggs on my hikes and eat one each day. If the weather is really warm I'll consume them quicker. They don't need any protection if I keep them near the top of my pack.

Images

A frozen hard boiled egg would be a tough way to start the morning. But once nights are warmer I love them.

Fresh eggs, coated with an edible oil, butter, or even Vaseline, last for months on board small cruising sailboats. The theory being that applying an air tight coating to the shell preserves the contents inside. As told to me by folks who have, "Been there. Done that."

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Like some of the previous posters, I almost always start a section hike with a few boiled eggs. Even in June down south here, they are fine up to about three days unrefrigerated for me. I store them in my cook pot.

Every time I leave a town I hike out with at least 6 hard boiled eggs. Usually I buy them at a store but sometimes I get a meal at a diner and ask for "6 to go". Perfect breakfast for the next three mornings.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Buy local farm raised ones, they have really thick tough shells....will take a lot more abuse on the trail. Take them uncooked and boil them as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Buy local farm raised ones, they have really thick tough shells....will take a lot more abuse on the trail. Take them uncooked and boil them as you go.
    Stop by the house and I'll be glad to give you a dozen.

Sodium Silicate (water glass) will seal fresh eggs and they can last for months if done properly. People used this method a lot before electricity was widely available. Don't boil without pricking the SS seal though. A boiled egg in warm weather will go bad pretty quickly. Like somebody said it will smell and you will know it. I ate a bad boiled egg and didn't think much about it. I thought it had been pickled cause it had that sour taste.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    This, my family had our own chickens growing up, you wouldn't believe how long fresh unwashed eggs that are laid by healthy chickens actually last.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I was amazed at the first batch we got from the lady...the eggs are so much heavier and bigger. It actually was difficult to get the shell to crack when I was trying to scramble some eggs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++