WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll be hiking solo .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Mac View Post
    Going with a fellow Veteran with PTSD, but I know at times we'll be miles apart & alone walking off our losses & discovering just who we are.
    He won't be the first or the last Veteran with PTSD walking on that trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I've been trying to parse that statement. But here's the thing -- the total number of sobos is sufficiently small and widespread (in terms of start time) that you won't be constantly leapfrogging other thru-hikers, at least not after the first few weeks. Nobo hikers are greatly affected by the bubble, but I think sobos, not so much.
    During a week long shakedown in 2005 I traveled north in the Shenandoah NP. It was September and in 5 days I ran into 6 SoBos. I absolutely agree Rafe, SoBo is a different animal.

Images

Like most everyone else who has responded, I'm planning a solo hike, but figuring there will be a lot of other people around. I'll be open to socializing and meeting other people, but I don't want to have to hike at anyone's pace but my own. I want to be able to stop for the night, go a little farther than planned, or smell the roses without having someone else's wants/needs to think about.

Solo, I hate trying to keep up with other people.

For a NOBO ATer starting between late Feb-late April whether or not you start solo you will have ample opportunity to attach yourself to a group.

Hmm my experience has been that the solo vs group decision will be made for you. You will meet others with which you are simpatico or not. It's one of those go-with-the-flow situations.
    After all why fret about it. That is just another piece of kit that _you_ need to decide to keep or not.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I also plan to hike solo, which is something many people in my life are uncomfortable with...but it's not their hike. As I'm planning to start in March, I'm sure fellow hikers won't be far if I want to mingle. I'm doing this for me after all. If I find some lifelong friends, awesome! If not, still awesome! It will be nice to have people around that will "get it" if you need to walk alone for a while. Also looking forward to the company while camping. Can't wait to meet you guys!

If and when I start this adventure in the spring I'll be solo also. Plenty of people to meet along the way to Katahdin.

My sentiments exactly KillerKarma. Since I am old and slow I plan to go solo and HMOH, but I am sure in the course 2200 miles I will have the opportunity to meet and share time and thoughts with many others. Part of what makes this endeavor so attractive.

I hike slow, less than 2MPH so I would imagine I'll be seeing a lot of behinds on my trip! LOL I dont mind hiking solo tho, in the end you always have people at shelters or in passing.

Solo...... In '11 I was hiking with the guys I would stay with for 6 weeks after the second night. You will find out who is moving at your pace and it will sort itself out without any effort at all. Also "together" is not quite the same as "see ya there" Best of both worlds is hiking alone and overnighting with the group.

Solo - January 1st
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Solo! I hate the idea of not going at my own speed to keep up with someone, or slow down for someone. I want to just walk, eat, sleep, and socialize on my own terms. This hike is about me, and if I have a partner then it becomes about "us". I'm fine with falling in and out of groups, just so long as I remember why I chose to go solo and really HMOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassafras View Post
    Solo! I hate the idea of not going at my own speed to keep up with someone, or slow down for someone. I want to just walk, eat, sleep, and socialize on my own terms. This hike is about me, and if I have a partner then it becomes about "us". I'm fine with falling in and out of groups, just so long as I remember why I chose to go solo and really HMOH.
    My feelings exactly!
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

There will be drama on the trail if you tell one of your new hiking friends you want to hike alone. They will take it as you saying they are slowing you down or annoying you. I had this problem while on solo climbing trips that I made friends on. Also on other hiking trips.

The AT might be different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogievlg View Post
    The AT might be different though.
    Hope so. Not that I don't think you guys are gonna be great and all...but I've never been the type to go along with others if it's not what I want to do.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Hiking solo for the most part and stating out that way. I think my husband will come join me for some parts of it, but for the most part I am hoping to meet new people (one of my motivations for doing a thru hike). I look forward to some time on my own but also looking forward to time with others

Hi slo go'en
    just thought we would say hi, all the way from SouthAfrica.
    hope you are well and the radio business is still great

ian and leslie
    springbock and kitty
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Ps my wife and I always hike together. It seems to work better that way. There was one time after a small disagreement that we hiked for a few hours with some space between us.... It was peaceful ������
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++