WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Nct hike

Default Nct hike

Hello everyone,

I plan on doing a NCT hike from Fort Custor to Mackinac bridge, was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for camping locations when not hiking near national or state parks where dispersed camping is allowed. Also, what towns are good places to resupply, any help is greatly appreciated!

Garlic
    Images

Sorry I have no immediate help, but a friend of mine has hiked sections of the NCT and he's mentioned how helpful the trail organization is. If you haven't already, try contacting the local maintainers, etc. through the NCT website. My friend says one of them even came out to meet him somewhere in NY state. It looks like the site has good information on trail towns, too. Good luck on the trip.

I have pulled as much as I could from the maps and the website, but found very little once I leave the Manistee National Forest.

sorry- wrong thread
    Last edited by Just Bill; 04-01-2014 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stevens View Post
    I have pulled as much as I could from the maps and the website, but found very little once I leave the Manistee National Forest.
    You should find links on the website (northcountrytrail.org) to each chapter. Each chapter generally has a brochure with more information. Often an email to the Chapter President or Trail Coordinator can get very good info.
    The Grand Traverse Hiking Club (GTHC) maintains the next 100 miles north of the MNF. The first 9 miles, from Hodenpyl Dam Road to M-37 is mostly Consumers Power land and some private. The rest of the 100 miles is all State Forest so you can camp early anywhere, though you do pass through or near some campgrounds. We (trail maintainers) have marked several camping sites along the trail but DNR does not want them marked on an maps.
    About 5 miles after you leave the MNF you reach M-115. The village of Mesick is about two miles east with a motel, grocery store, Post Office and two bars.
    About 50 miles after crossing M-115 you will be a few miles from the village of Fife Lake. About 30 trail miles farther on northerly you hike through the village of Kalkaska.

The above is from memory, any thing more I would have to get out maps or go the NCTA website.

When do you plan to start your hike?

Mid may early June, I have all the maps, I was just curious, as beyond the state parks I wasn't sure where to camp. I have emailed all the chapter leaders as well, a few have gotten back to me as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Strider completed the NCT last year and has just finished up his journal. May be of some help to you. http://www.stridernct.com/Journals.html

Images

Sorry, but it looks as if he hasn't exactly finished the Lower Peninsula's entries yet.

We did the trail for 20th street south of White cloud to Kalkaska last year in three trips. Link here to Trail Journals http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=15151

Not sure how much camping you will find south of 20th street crossing. Contact the Chief Noonday chapter and the WEstern Michigan chapter as to camping in those areas before you reach the Manistee National forest.

Mesick was on the trail as is Kalkaska. White cloud is close. Going north from Kalkaska there is a party store in Alba, and the trail goes thru Petosky. Water may be a little tight north of Petosky, check your maps closely. There is a store at Loon/bass lakes before the M-37 trail head, contact local chapter for info.

Camping is allowed in state forest at least a mile from campground. Do not understand the rule for leaving a self permit, but that rule can be found on the Michigan DNR website.

As far as camping in Manistee you don't need a permit right? I called them and they told me as long as you aren't parking the area is free to use. And as far as all the state lands go, you just need to display the self registration correct? Other than that I think I am good to go

As far as camping in Manistee you don't need a permit right? I called them and they told me as long as you aren't parking the area is free to use. And as far as all the state lands go, you just need to display the self registration correct? Other than that I think I am good to go
    Yes, you are correct. Be prepared for high water. North of the Hodenpyl Dam the NCT stays close to the Manistee River for about 50 miles. Runoff is flooding short sections.

Is it still passable?

Yes I've walked the worst parts in the GTHC area in the last weeks. If people in their 60s and 70s can You should too

Is it still passable?

Yes I've walked the worst parts in the GTHC area in the last 3 weeks. If people in their 60s and 70s can You should too

Is it still passable?

Yes, Sometimes you might have to go around a water hole. Worst problems have fixed.

the trail goes right thru Petoskey, which is about 45 mi. south of da bridge. Tom and Dick's, a good convenience store a few blocks off the trail on Emmet St. (When you get to Sheridan St. hang a right up to Emmet, then hang a left and you'll see it a few blocks down on the right.) Plus there's an organic grocery "Grain Train" right downtown on Mitchell St., again a few blocks off the trail. (When you cross the Bear River bridge right at City Hall, hang a right up Lake St. cross Hwy. 31, right on Petoskey St., one block to Mitchell and hang a right. Grain Train and Mighty Fine Pizza is on your left) Then there's Glenn's grocery store, a big one right on 31, north of downtown and on your way to Conway, out of Petoskey, Olsen's grocery is huge and right on 31 if you happen to see it thru the trees. Hope this helps

you can camp just about anywhere between Petoskey and da bridge

Well this is it! I'm off Sunday! Thank you for all the help, I'll be sure to stop at olsen's , hopefully I'll see you on the trail slosteppin, I'll have a ula backpack, and blue trekking poles, say hello if any of you see me

++ New Posts ++