WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Congradulations on your completion. I would have loved to been out there in the winter and then hike again to see the scenery again in the summer. Sorry to hear your negativity about whiteblaze members, guess there are always a few bad apples. Again congrats!

Boots and Backpacks: I plan on attempting a winter thru starting mid-Sept. Would love any advice you can offer from your experience on the AT in the dead of winter. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mykneeshurt View Post
    Boots and Backpacks: I plan on attempting a winter thru starting mid-Sept. Would love any advice you can offer from your experience on the AT in the dead of winter. Thanks!
    Are you heading south I hope? Heading north from Spinger in September would be awesome. However, I wouldn't want to heading north that time of the year. If you're heading south you might now even hit much snow depending on how fast you're hiking.
    AT15
    OT15

Images

Congratulations on completing your hike - and I'm sorry the reception here wasn't too jolly.

AND a big thanks, again, for giving your remaining water to my son and me on the top of Bear Mountain in NY. That was extremely nice of you!

Jane in CT

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    We've been back since Saturday, and the humidity sucks the life out of you.
    CONGRATS GUYS!!! This is Tear Drop aka South Side....I obviously got off trail after two attempts. I knew you guys would make it...We were the only people to start in December! I am proud as hell of you guys!!! I will be back March 1, 2016....Stay in touch guys!!!
    Tear Drop 2016 - This thing will NOT beat Me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    Sorry to hear your negativity about whiteblaze members, guess there are always a few bad apples. Again congrats!
    People like that on every site.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    Congratulations on completing your hike - and I'm sorry the reception here wasn't too jolly.

AND a big thanks, again, for giving your remaining water to my son and me on the top of Bear Mountain in NY. That was extremely nice of you!

Jane in CT
    Hopefully your trip went well. The was the only stretch we encountered where water was lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by TearDrop1776 View Post
    CONGRATS GUYS!!! This is Tear Drop aka South Side....I obviously got off trail after two attempts. I knew you guys would make it...We were the only people to start in December! I am proud as hell of you guys!!! I will be back March 1, 2016....Stay in touch guys!!!
    What happened to you on the second attempt this year?
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    People like that on every site.

Hopefully your trip went well. The was the only stretch we encountered where water was lacking.

What happened to you on the second attempt this year?
    Unfortunately, I injured my neck in the blood mountain area by falling twice. This storm that hit in February was nasty. Then had some real life issues and she wanted to leave. We ended up leaving...separating...and I ended up back with my wife. I now live with the wife (that I separated from last August) in Denver, Colorado. Ill be back March 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by TearDrop1776 View Post
    Unfortunately, I injured my neck in the blood mountain area by falling twice. This storm that hit in February was nasty. Then had some real life issues and she wanted to leave. We ended up leaving...separating...and I ended up back with my wife. I now live with the wife (that I separated from last August) in Denver, Colorado. Ill be back March 1st.
    We had knee deep snow, and some nights were around -14 in the end of February. I think in all we had about 350-400 miles in snow. The snow hit us around Standing Bear, and we were in it until Mt Rogers Visitor Center just north of Greyson Highlands.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    So? You skipped GSMNP because they don't allow dogs and yet you snuck it into Baxter?

That's a good lesson for those school children.

Thanks for giving Baxter one more reason to dislike AT hikers.
    Wheres your comment on their reply to this now you arrogant *******? And needless to say, **** yes Boots & Backpacks.....congrats. I briefly met you all about halfway up Skyline drive, near the Skyland Resort. Good job on the finish, i bet deep down inside, many on here are jealous of the way/time of year you all got to experience the trail.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Any person with a service animal should not be grilled by ANYONE for 20 minutes. I feel horible that you had to be subjected to that-- even if the interrogation was done with a veil of kindness.

I think you should file an ADA complaint -- not only for yourselves, but also for all the other who travel with a service animal, and as an example for your students. Discrimination of any kind simply should not be tolerated.

Congrats a a successful 4-season hike!
    This post is almost as bad as the Winged Monkey post. Baxter did nothing wrong. If you have been paying attention there have been many instances at Baxter of hikers using fake service dog papers to get their dogs in. And then bragging about it in Millinockit later in front of locals about how they lied and fooled Baxter. So Baxter verifying that the hiker has a service dog legitimately is well within their rights. And the OP said nothing about them being rude or their questions unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    This post is almost as bad as the Winged Monkey post. Baxter did nothing wrong. If you have been paying attention there have been many instances at Baxter of hikers using fake service dog papers to get their dogs in. And then bragging about it in Millinockit later in front of locals about how they lied and fooled Baxter. So Baxter verifying that the hiker has a service dog legitimately is well within their rights. And the OP said nothing about them being rude or their questions unreasonable.
    Well put. From their statements B&B acted as a positive reps for the thru-hiking community. And it seems Baxter acted as they should have, unlike the recent Jurek debacle. After finishing my hike i was speaking with a ranger about thru hikers and from what he said, big changes are coming to Baxter regarding long distance hikers, both North and South bounders. So any positive encounters between thru hikers and BSP in a good thing.

Journal Entries

Boots and Backpacks are EXCELLENT people. I commend them for their efforts as I started around the same time and KNOW how difficult it was this year with THAT weather. Hell, us winter hikers had to deal with one of the biggest storms to ever hit the AT...It was horrible. Unfortunately, I did not make it, but they did and it took a LOT for them to make it. They were stronger on the trail and that is to be commended. All these people that are talking **** are ONLY talking **** because they said it "couldn't be done" and they got proven wrong. CONGRATS you two!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Nothing rude happened, and we weren't upset by anything. I think the person I talked to on the phone honestly had no idea. She put me on hold a couple times, and came back with another question. After finding out what kind of service dog it was, and the reason behind the service dog they were OK with it. They just wanted to make sure everything was legit since they have already had a couple cases of SOBO's sneaking dogs into the park this year.

That's all that was talked about, and no mention of anything in town or to anyone in the park. We were in and out of the park and town so quick that we really didn't even talk to many people.
    AT15
    OT15

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++