WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Can feel your excitement and hear ya singing that Willie Nelson song to each other "I Love you cause your crazy like me"

Time frame shows your realistic too.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Can feel your excitement and hear ya singing that Willie Nelson song to each other "I Love you cause your crazy like me"

Time frame shows your realistic too.
    You have to be realistic when leaving that time of the year. We're allowing plenty of time due to shortened days, and even more time in case we need to pull off the trail due to bad weather. Making stupid choices could result in us not finishing the trail, and those choices start with packing.
    AT15
    OT15

I'm pretty bummed about the weight carrying issue at this point. I prepacked last night just to see where I was, and I though I knew what to expect. I was hoping when it was all said and done to be around the 35lbs mark with food and water. At this point I'm going to be closer to the 38lbs mark. My wife's pack is going to be around 28-30lbs after she adds a couple more things.

I keep telling myself that 35-38lbs isn't a bad weight for starting in the winter, and for bringing my dog. However I'm pretty hung up on it, but I know there's nothing I can do. When I start looking at it I can figure out where some of the weight is coming from. We have 60oz in dog gear to help Landshark (her trail name) along the way. She's a very small dog, and she has a full sponsorship from Ruffwear. I know all of her gear will be sent home after a couple months when the weather turns.

From the bottom up:

North Face MICA 2- 55oz w/6 stakes
    Food- 176oz (6 days/2 people)- could be less, but figuring for worse case
    Hammocks- 52oz- (the wife insists on bringing these in case we need to hangout at a shelter because of bad weather)
    40 Below Booties- 10oz
    MSR Dromedary Bag- 6oz
    BA Stuff Sack- 1.5oz
    BA Insulated Air Core- 44oz (2 pads)
    PowerPot V- 16oz (will send home if we don't use the charging feature)(swap out for old cookset 8oz)
    Pocket Rocket- 4oz
    OR Gaiters- 6.8oz
    Katadyn Hiker Pro- 11oz (w/insulator 14oz total)
    Dog Gear- 60oz
    First Aid- ?
    OR Versaliner Glove- 5.6oz (2 pair)
    Black Rock Gear Down Hat- 1oz
    Water Bottle w/insulator- 10oz (debating on not using the insulator)
    Pack Cover- 5oz
    Patagonia Shell- 12.5oz
    Rain Pants- 11.5oz
    Charging Stuff- 8oz
    Random- 6oz
    Pack- 57oz

I see a couple things that I know we could do without, but I think we'll stick with it for the beginning. I know a lot depends on the weather, and how cold it gets. If the weather stays pretty mild like it's been lately we'll start sending stuff home. All in all, carrying 35lbs is still better than sitting in a chair working. I keep telling myself just wait until Mid March comes around when we can start getting rid of our winter gear. Carrying winter gear is a pain, but I don't want to be cold and miserable.

Our gear carrying methods might a bit strange, but it works. My wife is carrying everything that is needed when we get to camp, and her pack comes in at 28lbs right now. Once the weather turns she'll be able to send home our down pants (-27oz for both), swap our sleeping bags (-61oz), and some others.
    AT15
    OT15

Ditching those hammocks looks like the easiest way to lose a lot of weight for no $$, it's been said that the cheapest pound to save is the one you leave behind. That'll bring you down to about 35 which is a pretty reasonable winter weight especially given the dog stuff you have. You are carrying sleeping bags and pads to be comfortable with if you need to hunker down in a shelter, hauling over 3 lbs. on your back as a just in case comfort while you also have a tent seems like a lot of extra. Obviously I don't know either of you but it seems like a way to harbor sour feelings right from the get go with you hoofing several pounds extra that she insisted come along. What does her pack look like? maybe there is some easy weight loss there too.

Agreed, get rid of the hammocks, they will be useless for the next several months. The power pot is likely of little use. You need to keep the water boiling for hours and hours to get any kind of charge out of it. I'd also ditch the water filter. No need to filter water in GA/NC. The filter will just freeze up and become dead weight. Winter is the only time Nalgine bottles with insulated sleeves are worth the weight. Hope you have at least two full sets of clothes.

Don't worry, winter will kick in big time around early January while your in N.C. and will be with you for then next 3 months. It went down to -7 here in the Whites last night and we normally don't get that cold until the end of January. Expect a major storm every 7 to 10 days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Her's is right around 28-30lbs. She's packing the following:

Sleeping Bag x2
    Pillow x2
    Down Booties
    Socks x8 (1 pair per day for each of us)( we'll lessen these when the weather is warmer)
    Base Layer Bottom x2
    Base Layer Top x2
    Down Pants x2
    Wool Sweater x2
    Jacket x2

There are other items, but I'm not exactly sure on her details. We've been through the list, and pretty sure we've cut out just about everything besides the hammocks that we don't think we'll need. We each have clothing to hike in, and dry clothing for camp. We each have a light weight base layer top and bottom for hiking. Along with our hiking pants, and rain gear. In camp we each have a mid weight base layer bottom and top. We also have wool sweaters, jackets, waterproof down booties, rain gear if it really cold. I don't think we're over packing for clothing, but winter clothing is bulky!

A lot of her weight is coming from the zero degree bags (121.48oz), wool sweaters (28oz), jackets (36oz), and the pack (will call it 80oz). Those 7 items weigh in at 266oz or 16.625lbs. When March comes around she'll most likely switch to her Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack, and send home the jackets or sweaters. At that time she'll be down to 120oz or 7.5lbs for the sleeping bags (60oz), wool sweaters (28oz), and pack (32oz). It's going to be a first couple months that are going to be rough. Carrying that weight up front will get us used to carrying the load, and will make dropping 10-12lbs sound exciting.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Agreed, get rid of the hammocks, they will be useless for the next several months. The power pot is likely of little use. You need to keep the water boiling for hours and hours to get any kind of charge out of it. I'd also ditch the water filter. No need to filter water in GA/NC. The filter will just freeze up and become dead weight. Winter is the only time Nalgine bottles with insulated sleeves are worth the weight. Hope you have at least two full sets of clothes.

Don't worry, winter will kick in big time around early January while your in N.C. and will be with you for then next 3 months. It went down to -7 here in the Whites last night and we normally don't get that cold until the end of January. Expect a major storm every 7 to 10 days.
    The PowerPot does charge a bit slow, and is a bit heavy. We'll find out right away is we're going to need it or not. I don't think we will since we'll have a good power pack or 2 with us. I've already been thinking about ditching it due to the weight.

I also feel that it's kind of important to have a water filter. I don't want to rely purely on iodine drops or boiling water. The insulator I have for the filter does keep it from freezing up to around 0*. What would you suggest beside a filter or iodine drops? Maybe a SteriPEN?

We will have a set of clothing to hike, and a set of clothing for camp that'll be in a dry bag. We're going to make sure that we ALWAYS have dry clothing for camp.
    AT15
    OT15

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Sounds like you guys have a solid plan, I'm envious!

Hiking the Smokies in late winter / early spring can really suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

We are officially in the area...We just arrived from Vegas to Chattanooga tonight. We are going to the approach trail in the morning!!!!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    We are officially in the area...We just arrived from Vegas to Chattanooga tonight. We are going to the approach trail in the morning!!!!
    What happened to the 18th? You guys are going to have over 20 lead on us.
    AT15
    OT15

Journal Entries
    Images

We will be starting slow...We are brand new to hiking...Our first month, I am planning to only hike around an average of 6 miles per day....Plus, we are going to celebrate Christmas in Franklin and New Years at Fontana. We will be taking a few days off. Something tells me that you WILL catch up....
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    We will be starting slow...We are brand new to hiking...Our first month, I am planning to only hike around an average of 6 miles per day....Plus, we are going to celebrate Christmas in Franklin and New Years at Fontana. We will be taking a few days off. Something tells me that you WILL catch up....
    I bet we start off a bit slow for the first couple days. I can see us getting to Hiawassee to make our first stop, get a food drop in Franklin (maybe stay the night), stay at the NOC on the Nantahala, and then get our shuttle at Fontana. I'm hoping to make it to Fontana in 15-18 days. We'll be stopping in Hot Springs for at least 2 nights, but might make it 3 nights.

We'll be following how you guys are doing in the shelter log books. So remember to post in them when they're available. Remember to stay motivated, and don't lose sight of the big picture. Long distance hiking is 70% mental, 20% physical, and 10% luck. Best of luck to you both, and hopefully our we'll meet up at some point.
    AT15
    OT15

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Her's is right around 28-30lbs. She's packing the following:

Sleeping Bag x2
    Pillow x2
    Down Booties
    Socks x8 (1 pair per day for each of us)( we'll lessen these when the weather is warmer)
    Base Layer Bottom x2
    Base Layer Top x2
    Down Pants x2
    Wool Sweater x2
    Jacket x2
    Am I reading this right? Is one of you carrying both sleeping bags and cold weather clothes for both of you?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

Your trip will be interesting to follow. Are you posting a journal on line? Happy trails.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Am I reading this right? Is one of you carrying both sleeping bags and cold weather clothes for both of you?
    Yep, and the other is carrying all the gear and food. It's the best way to distribute the weight, and the best for packability. We could each carry our own stuff, and split the food down the middle. If we did it this way we'd be carrying more weight due to needing extra food bags, and dry bags/liners for clothing.

The most practical way for us to carry the weight is how we're doing it. We've been packing like this for several years, and it works out great. It doesn't matter which way we pack leaving this time of the year.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Your trip will be interesting to follow. Are you posting a journal on line? Happy trails.
    Our blog is in our signature. I'm trying to get the hang of Trail Journals as well, and might use that too.

Trail Journal- Boots and Backpacks
    AT15
    OT15

Images

Do you guys have an online journal. It would be fun to follow along. You'll have a great adventure. good luck.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Good luck to all the snow bird thru- hikers!! lol I think I'll stick with my April start date.HS

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Good luck to all the snow bird thru- hikers!! lol I think I'll stick with my April start date.HS
    Our blog is in our signature. I'm trying to get the hang of Trail Journals as well, and might use that too.

Trail Journal- Boots and Backpacks
    AT15
    OT15

"Water Bottle w/insulator- 10oz (debating on not using the insulator)"

I used an insulator on the tubing and mouthpiece for a drinking tube type water bladder: it helped.

Keeping water next to the warmth of my back is good, if your backpack rests against your back.

Keeping water in smaller containers I found is easier to keep warm with me during the night.

I had a look at your trail journal: a "leaker" sleeping bag is justification for refund or exchange manufacturers will, in my experience, accept.
    Last edited by Connie; 12-09-2014 at 17:07.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++