WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

All comments are very interesting. I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I would still lean towards using a tent for the entire thru hike. That's what I would do... But of course a serious thunderstorm or something like that might change my mind.

Every hiker should plan on never using a shelter- better just to pretend they don't exist.
    You can always leave your shelter in your bag and stay in one if you feel like it.
    You can never pull a shelter you didn't bring from your bag if a shelter is full or unreachable.

If nothing else- some of the worst meltdowns I've seen anywhere have been from people who expect/demand/count on a spot in a shelter. Best way to ruin your trip IMO. NOBO with the herd and no shelter is insane.

Images

I understand that shelters help to concentrate impact use areas, thereby minimizing damage to other areas. But I still dislike them. I will tent near them. I have only stayed in them during torrential downpours and even then I found myself wishing I had tented.

Images

My first night on the trail was in a shelter, age 10. On the Little Rock pond Island had a shelter. It was the absolute coolest thing and helped grab my attention. When the weather is the worst, I want a spot in one. I carry a tarp....I want to be in it first, for sure. Some times they makea loud sucking sound, but i would not want to burn them all down. My apologies to my brother Marine!
    Last edited by coach lou; 04-03-2014 at 22:38. Reason: duh!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dzarn View Post
    All comments are very interesting. I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I would still lean towards using a tent for the entire thru hike. That's what I would do... But of course a serious thunderstorm or something like that might change my mind.
    It's not something you have to decide ahead of time. Bring a tent, then make your decisions on a day to day basis.

It's best to conduct your entire hike that way--be prepared, but flexible.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

There was a resident black widow in Ed Garvey shelter last year.

Images

When I began this adventure (2006), I went out mid - late March, in PA, there was NOBODY on the AT

Had almost every shelter to myself.

Always carried a tent.

Today I steer clear of shelters, + the norovirus last year was a bit shocking to me, like 70+% of the thru hikers inflicted with it. Freaky!

Now, I would MUCH rather pitch a tent and sleep in the rain/snow than stay in a shelter. Last hike, 12 days, 1 night in a hotel, 1 night in a shelter (blizzard and 10 degrees North of Max Patch - wish that I had tented!!!), 10 in a tent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++