WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 200 miles may-early june

You all know maybe that I am re-hiking the trail in sections - I've got about 1100 miles complete including everything south of Atkins, VA, plus all of CT,NY,NJ plus VT and NH to Pinkham (plus some random 95 miles in Shenandoah (Harpers to Elkwallow).
    I can do 100 miles a week in most conditions and want to do 200 +/- miles in LATE MAY / EARLY JUNE.
    One idea was to do the BMT (not AT miles) which is about 300 mies but I don't have a partner for this and it might be a bit lonely solo and it might work better as a Fall hike (snakey, wet, hot in May).
    Another idea is just to pick up in Atkins, VA and see where I get but I'm afraid I'll be right on the NOBO bubble and it will be too crowded. T
    he last part of NH and ME is also out due to mud and flies, so, give me some ideas for a 200 mile / two week hike in May - - how about all of PA - - not super sexy but the miles are right?

Two weeks is tough if you are counting travel time the further you go, the less time you have to hike. 14 calendar days is likely 10 trail days if you hit the mid Atlantic states.

Atkins south may be your best bet to chew some miles. Going SOBO means you are likely to get the most miles and easiest return home. Also you can just go for it and not worry about an easy on/easy off stopping point since it's closer to home.

Most of the herd should be near enough Damascus for TD- so if you're talking last week of may into June the worst of it should be past you.
    Or go Springer NOBO if you think you're cutting it too close.

PA would be a good choice that time of year.
    Should be good weather, & not many hikers.
    That would be my choice as I don't like crowds, especially for hiking.
    And it's too early to do north of Pinkham.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Two weeks is tough if you are counting travel time the further you go, the less time you have to hike. 14 calendar days is likely 10 trail days if you hit the mid Atlantic states.

Atkins south may be your best bet to chew some miles. Going SOBO means you are likely to get the most miles and easiest return home. Also you can just go for it and not worry about an easy on/easy off stopping point since it's closer to home.

Most of the herd should be near enough Damascus for TD- so if you're talking last week of may into June the worst of it should be past you.
    Or go Springer NOBO if you think you're cutting it too close.
    well, I've already done everything south of Atkins, so it would be Atkins going North or Elkwallow Going South and I didn't include travel time - 14 trail days with maybe 1 zero or nero day - - 12 roughly 17.5 mile days - - (I keep my trail legs and lungs)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    PA would be a good choice that time of year.
    Should be good weather, & not many hikers.
    That would be my choice as I don't like crowds, especially for hiking.
    And it's too early to do north of Pinkham.
    I think I might take the Amtrak to Harpers Ferry and take off North - picking up MD in a day and on into PA - Making it to Port Clinton would be easy - 194 miles - - I probably don't have time to get to the Jersey Line but I could try. Anyone know of a good shuttle service in Port Clinton.?

We are knocking out the last 100 miles, the end of May, in PA.

I wonder how nice the Port Clinton Hotel is??? I doubt we will stop there.. we only have 1 week to get it done.

Default 200 miles may-early june

Port Clinton hotel is iffy. There is a Microtel right across from Cabellas which is an easy hitch away. The best part of Port Clinton is the candy shop. Enjoy the rocks.

I AM planning on doing 300 miles in NH and Maine from May 1st to mid-June to finish up the trail, so I would not completely discount that as a possibility. I'm tentatively planning to start the 150 miles of Maine south of Katahdin in mid-May, generally hiking in 2-3 day chunks so that I can dry out in between hikes. The days are long, warm and dry trails are a POSSIBILITY (but does not look likely at this point), and I might beat the worst of black fly season (but am not betting on it). Most worried about mud, black flies, swollen streams, black flies, deserted trails, black flies, rutted roads, black flies, snow/ice monorail, and oh, did I mention black flies...

I might be able to help position a car for you on the way up from the DC area, so feel free to drop me a PM.

--Joshuasdad

I believe I would start back at Atkins and go to Daleville or there abouts, should help with logistics having Roanoke airport and Hikermom nearby, pretty nice section, sure wish I hadn't just taken a job, would have enjoyed doing the BMT with you, sounds like our speeds would be compatible.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Yes, you would likely encounter a lot of thru-hikers traversing Virginia in the latter half of May/early June. I'd shoot for Pennsylvania.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I would be willing to help you out with transportation if you decide to head north from HF. If interested PM me or call (717) 278-6717. I live around 1 hr. south of Port Clinton and get in that area quite often.

Iceman

++ New Posts ++