WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 5 hikers rescued overnight on Appalachian Trail - Asheville Citizen-Times

5 hikers rescued overnight on Appalachian Trail
    Asheville Citizen-Times
    Five wet and cold female hikers were rescued off the Appalachian Trail on Wednesday morning after calling 911 for help. “They were stranded, exhausted, wet and frozen and needed help,” said Jeff Willis, emergency management director for Madison County ...

More...

Images

This one may be better than the GSMNP rescue. If I read that right one two person tent and a sleeping bag?

One tent and sleeping bag with 5 people... Just wow.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I assume that's a college spring break trip gone wrong. Glad they are safe, but just wow...

Sad to say there is plenty of this sort of thing on the trail right now, weekend before last I saw a bunch of college kids camping in the Whites, it was -10f with several feet of snow on the ground and they were wearing jeans (though they were in surprisingly good spirits)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

You gotta wonder what was going on between their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Vacuum.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Vacuum.......................
    Now I must confess....I did much dumber things at that age...I'm alive only by the grace of God.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    five college girls? i'm wondering whats going on in that one sleeping bag

bad hilly, bad bad

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    five college girls? i'm wondering whats going on in that one sleeping bag

bad hilly, bad bad

from the article--
    "The women managed to make their way to the Walnut Gap shelter on the trail. All five squeezed into the tent after shedding their wet clothes, and they sheltered in place until rescuers reached them around 3 a.m"....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    from the article--
    "The women managed to make their way to the Walnut Gap shelter on the trail. All five squeezed into the tent after shedding their wet clothes, and they sheltered in place until rescuers reached them around 3 a.m"....
    A little kinky, but definately the right thing to do. They must have ment Walnut Mountain shelter and if that's the case, that shelter doesn't offer much shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    from the article--
    ...All five squeezed into the tent after shedding their wet clothes....
    Man, I haven't even read the story yet and it just keeps getting better. By the time I click on the link it will be: five college girls, four of which are cheerleaders and one of them a miss Texas runner-up, found in Walnut Gap Shelter, necked, but unfazed, from the slight chill of an earlier stroll. After warming themselves up by furiously friction rescuers were able to supply pizza to these ladies who already had the margarita glasses salted and a pitcher of mix ready to pour.

Can I post that? Oh what ever
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Where were our young, red-blooded, strapping thrus in these girls time of need?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Man, I haven't even read the story yet and it just keeps getting better. By the time I click on the link it will be: five college girls, four of which are cheerleaders and one of them a miss Texas runner-up, found in Walnut Gap Shelter, necked, but unfazed, from the slight chill of an earlier stroll. After warming themselves up by furiously friction rescuers were able to supply pizza to these ladies who already had the margarita glasses salted and a pitcher of mix ready to pour.

Can I post that? Oh what ever
    Okay, I'll be in the basement . . .

brian1.jpg
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

This is very sad. Thankfully everyone is alive. It could have turned out tragic.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

We were at Low gap between Double Spring and Abingdon Shelter when we called for a shuttle to Damascus at 4:30 PM
    Tuesday night. High winds and knee high drifts had reduced forward progress to a crawl, water bottle frozen.

Weather changed from sunny warm monday to snow by 3AM tuesday morning. We knew of the impending storm, but not the extreme cold coming with it.

Pilots have a saying, I would rather be on the ground wishing I were flying, than in the air wishing I were on the ground. I apply that any time I start to think well we should be alright.

This has gotta be a male hiker's number one fantasy on the trail -- hot female suffering from hypothermia.

Five hot females suffering from hypothermia; that's just too good to be true.

The only thing that tops that are 70 virgins...

Sorry, but the weather was predicted. In fact, the coming storm was reported here in the hope that somebody might notice and be prepared.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...CK!&highlight=

I am glad that the girls are ok. Perhaps they learned something important. Folks asking questions like "I'm going to start my NOBO in late March. My pack is too heavy. Will I need to bring winter gear? Can I leave my tent at home? Will I be ok with just a sleeping bag liner?" should be directed to this and similar stories.

There is stupid light and there is smart light. You can't fix stupid.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

WOW!!!! I crossed paths with this group of girls as I was heading North into Hot Springs. Temps were dropping, snow was falling, and I told them to be careful. Wow!

Images

I may have missed it, but I did not see anywhere in the story where it said these young ladies were doing anything but day hiking. Seeing that the majority of them did not have any backpacking gear, I think it can be reasonably assumed that they were day hiking.

It is very rare that I will go day hiking in winter without some type of shelter and insulation to make it through the night if need be. Just like in this situation, things can go bad quickly. At least one of these young ladies was smart enough to bring shelter and a sleeping bag, and it may have saved all their lives.

I could be wrong on this, they could have started out with gear, and then dumped it when they started getting hypothermic. I have seen it happen before, people think their gear is slowing them down and they dump gear to speed up so they can get to safety. Hypothermia can cause some very strange thought processes. Happens with people in the water too, they take off their PFD so they can swim better.

I am very glad they are all safe.

Images

I guess someone should start a list for this year's SAR missions.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++