WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Best dog food for pups on the trail

A tip for hikers with dogs! Stella and Chewy's freeze-dried raw dog food is the best food I've found for dogs on the trail. Heavy on the protein, extremely lightweight and easy to mail drop for thru- or section-hikers. http://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-products.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

I just ran through the site checked on a random on line store and the food guide. For a 60 lb dog and freeze dried food it would cost me over $10.00 a day for him....Heck I can feed myself on less than that!!

other options are Grandma lucy's Pureformance I used this on my 2013 attempt. I portioned it out to 2 cups per meal and that came out to about 2200 calories a day and cost around 6.4 dollars a day. this was for a 60 LB dog and he was one of the only hikers getting the necessary calories per day. It's light weight at about .2 lbs per cup so for me it was about .8 lbs a day and 4.8 lbs for a 6 day resupply. He also loved the food.

http://www.grandmalucys.com/pureform..._p/74002-4.htm

another one I came accross was http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/ which has an option with similar high calorie content.

Try Native dog food. They use it for sled dog, and they have a pup formula. I would be willing to bet you can't find a higher quality food

I came across SOJOS brand dog food that I thought would be interesting to try out for backpacking with my dog. I have NOT tried it yet, but think it should be looked into a bit. Of course it is a bit pricy but a rough estimate on the price/day came out to somewhere around $3-5/day for a thru hike.

Anyone have experience with this brand or used it before?

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    I came across SOJOS brand dog food that I thought would be interesting to try out for backpacking with my dog. I have NOT tried it yet, but think it should be looked into a bit. Of course it is a bit pricy but a rough estimate on the price/day came out to somewhere around $3-5/day for a thru hike.

Anyone have experience with this brand or used it before?
    I saw this brand at a pet store the other day..when I looked it up on dogfoodadvisor.com it wasn't rated very high, like 2.5 out of 5 stars..not what I expected for being so expensive..I would avoid it..

i ended up finding it online as well, saw that the cheaper one(which the guy at the store recommended) requires that you put your own raw meat in it. I didn't realize until afterwards that the one that comes with freeze dried meat is upwards of $100.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Ok. This just hit me like a slap in the face. Why not MAKE your own dog food? Seriously. I go to great lengths, ok, not that great, to dehydrate proteins for the trail meals I prepare for our family's section hikes (each one is around 175-200 miles). We've always packed kibble, blech, for the dog as it was the lightest and supplemented with raw meat in town, when available (our dog's typical diet). But it's not that big a deal to dehydrate a few pounds more of ground beef and chicken. Add in some instant rice, dehydrated vegetables, a bit of fat (like fish oil or olive oil) and maybe a bit of kibble to supplement the vitamins and minerals and bam! lightweight and very healthy dog food.

I would rehydrate the dried ingredients rather than trying to bake it into some kind of kibble. Then there's a bit of crunch from the kibble and some more life-like texture to the rest of the food. Should be pretty cheap too!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

My daughter will be hiking with her dog this spring. She is using honest kitchen dehydrated and a little kibble as a mid day snack. Seems to be great
    http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/love

We'll be hiking with our small dog in 15. I've been talking with Nutro for a while now about good choices. Some of the best advise I can give on food, and this is what we'll be doing. Our dog will be 6 when we leave, and has been hiking/backpacking with us since she was a puppy. The best food you can give your dog is going to be puppy food. You can also use olive oil on the food. Olive oil is the BEST source for protein based on weight and serving size. There is more protein in one serving of olive oil than any thing else based on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    You can also use olive oil on the food. Olive oil is the BEST source for protein based on weight and serving size. There is more protein in one serving of olive oil than any thing else based on weight.
    There is ZERO protien in olive oil.

Perhaps you mean fat?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Freeze dried dog food maildropped, is that going to be lighter then resupplying more often another the way?

It just seems there is practical and logistical to maildropping as opposed to buy as you go, these limitations on a trail such as the AT will tend to have a maildrop hiker carry more then a buy as you go hiker.

As to the quality difference of dog food, I have nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    There is ZERO protien in olive oil.

Perhaps you mean fat?
    No, I meant calories. One oz of olive oil contains 230 calories, and is great for keeping on weight.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Freeze dried dog food maildropped, is that going to be lighter then resupplying more often another the way?

It just seems there is practical and logistical to maildropping as opposed to buy as you go, these limitations on a trail such as the AT will tend to have a maildrop hiker carry more then a buy as you go hiker.

As to the quality difference of dog food, I have nothing.
    I think this really depends on how picky you are about your dog food. We'll most likely do drops for the food since we're going to be using Nutro. I'm not sure how many place where we'll resupply will actually carry Nutro. Plus, our dog is small is only needs a little amount of food at a time. It'll be cheaper for us in the long run to pre-buy the dog food and package it accordingly. Even if we were to find it in town, we'd most likely have to buy at least 10lb of food.
    AT15
    OT15

++ New Posts ++