WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What constitutes a "thru-hike?"

Let me first say that I don't intend this question to be provocative. I'm just curious to see whether there is a consensus answer. Nearly all thru hikers take zero days, town days, side trips off the trail (sometimes for days), etc. Some even go home for short periods before returning to the trail. So - my question is this: How many consecutive days off the trail would one consider "allowed" before a thru hike becomes something else? Two? Four? A week? A month? Maybe it doesn't really matter and anyone who walks the whole trail, walks the whole trail. I'm really curious as to whether there is anything like a consensus on this.

BTW - I really enjoy the site and am learning a lot. I don't really have a plan to attack the trail yet - beyond knowing that I am going to do it. Maybe four long sections over four years. Maybe a thru - if I can sort out work and family obligations. I do know that I want to hike the entire trail.

Cheers.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Generally if you hike the entire trail in one season you're a thru-hiker.
    But in reality no one cares. HYOH!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Start in Spring at the Approach Trail, walk North with Spring, finish at Katahdin, whilst passing every white blaze is the generally accepted formula.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Generally if you hike the entire trail in one season you're a thru-hiker.
    But in reality no one cares. HYOH!
    You'd have to hike really fast to finish in one season, and it would be especially tough if you chose winter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The most often accepted answer i've seen on this site is that any hike that completes the trail in a 1 year period is considered a thru hike. But aside from hiking the whole tra there are no official rules as to what a constitutes a thru hike. I think this was done on purpose to give hikers something to argue about.

Fun fact, the approach trail is not part of the A.T. Regardless of some people's wishful thinking. I'd still recommend hiking it though, the view of the falls alone is worth the walk.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-24-2014 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaddy View Post
    Nearly all thru hikers take zero days, town days, side trips off the trail (sometimes for days), etc. Some even go home for short periods before returning to the trail. So - my question is this: How many consecutive days off the trail would one consider "allowed" before a thru hike becomes something else? Two? Four? A week? A month? Maybe it doesn't really matter and anyone who walks the whole trail, walks the whole trail. I'm really curious as to whether there is anything like a consensus on this.
    a through hike is just that. hiking through with no days off. anything else is a section hike

Call it what you will, but I would hardly consider bouncing from one section to another at random points a true Thru-Hike....that would be considered a section hike; regardless if you complete the entire trail or not....I gave the most widely accepted version above; I'm still torn on the matter of slack-packing, though. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    ....I gave the most widely accepted version above;
    No you didn't...

For me the idea of an uninterrupted set of footprints from one endpoint to the other within a "hiking season" seems to make the most sense and allows things like blue blazing to a shelter (or vista point) and taking the another blue blaze back to the trail when nothing is likely to be missed by not backtracking. I don't personally see anything wrong with zero days or even several days off the trail if time permits. Ultimately I don't think it matters.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Go back and view the 13457 threads that are devoted to trying to answer this question. When your done, draw your own conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Go back and view the 13457 threads that are devoted to trying to answer this question. When your done, draw your own conclusion.
    Is this issue of defining a thru the source of much conflict on trail as it is on whiteblaze?

The beauty of our sporting event is that there are no penalties, referees, time outs, instant replay, quarters, half's, periods or innings. No coaches , plays, championships or playoffs. Just throw on your pack and call it what you want to call it. If someone calls you out for taking a day off after walking 20 miles ask them what they have done for the last six months?

Images

Is it time for the Thursday night "what's a thru-hiker thread" already?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by goin'4ahike View Post
    Is this issue of defining a thru the source of much conflict on trail as it is on whiteblaze?
    I can be....but usually not. Deep down, folks know in their heart if they did a true thru or a section hike. That being said, let not your heart be troubled if you are a section hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Why waste your energy on that? The question is whether there is anything approaching a consensus. My opinion doesn't matter - nor, as it turns out, does yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaddy View Post
    The question is whether there is anything approaching a consensus.
    Clearly not...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

So with the proposed International Appalachian Trail that extends into Canada and beyond, will hiking from Springer to Katahdin in one year become just a section hike?
    Last edited by Deacon; 03-24-2014 at 19:57.

I am a newer member, so I will offer an outsider's opinion. (and we can file it with the rest LOL)

If you hike from one end to the other within a year, and starting each time where you stopped before going the same direction, it would seem to be a thru hike. If you build it piece-meal hiking different legs out of order, Or if you do it in pieces over multiple years, then it would be a section hike.

I know there is no consensus, but this is just what makes sense to me.

*It.

I have heard of some who harbored so much guilt over skipping the Approach Trail that a trip was required back to Georgia just to complete it. Imagine what one would feel over yellow-blazing!

Coincedently, the AT Journeys Magazine has an article on Alternative Thru Hikes.

About a decade ago the ATC proposed a practical compromise: a thru-hike is a completely hiked <Appalachian> Trail -- done in 12 months -- regardless of direction or starting point.
    I'm glad that's settled.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++