WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bag for AT thru.

What was the temp rating for your sleeping bag/bags you used for your AT thru? I have a 0* TNF sleeping bag and was going to use that for the first few months (March start). It's probably overkill but I don't want to spend too much on new gear.

Journal Entries

I used a 18F Sea to Summit semi-rect bag. Went to a 1/2 the weight 20F 'top bag' (quilt), so apx 20F all the way. Well I did go to a blanket well a child's blankie during the warm months.

20F seems to be the sweet spot - maybe colder if you tend towards that, warm enough to keep you and also allow you to spoon with the desirable member of the opposite sex (or same sex if that is your thing) who brought a 40F bag along. Yes the AT 'gods' spaced me and her that way and she was the one who woke me up, am I wrong for enjoying it just a little?
    Last edited by Starchild; 03-24-2014 at 17:11.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Started in mid March with a 20* Feathered Friends, then went to a Montbell #3 which is a 30* bag to Maine.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

so hard to judge this year seems more abnormal then most.... was almost 50 here in maine yesterday....this morn woke up was barely 10 at 8 o clock....

either a 20 degree or 30 degree bag, and if it gets colder, just wear all your baselayer and insulation layers in the bag to add warmth. On cold nights with a 30 degree bag..... I've worn my Cap-2 baselayers, a down jacket, a windshirt and my rain jacket for extra warmth, along with a wool cap.

My starting bag was a 30 degree down Marmot bag plus a silk liner. This along with my base layer was OK at the low temp I experienced on the trail, which was 25 degrees. Much below that and I would have been uncomfortable. I switched to a 45 degree Jacks r Better Shenandoah down quilt after Pearisburg that was perfect and switched back to my Marmot after Glenncliff, NH. I kept my liner for the entire hike because I don't like my bare butt on my nylon Therm-o-rest pad. On hot nights, I slept only in the liner.

I've seen sub-freezing in GA and NC in early/mid-April. Snow on Chairback Mtn. (ME) first week of September. That's the worst I've had to deal with.

I had a Marmot Cloudbreak 20 and contended with pretty much constant snow/cold in the Smokies, I was fine.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

0 degrees for the start is probably fine but be prepared to wear "every stitch" of clothing when temps dip below what's truly comfortable in that bag especially in the colder months at the beginning and end of your hike (remember, NH and Maine can have cooler nights by late August and definitely in September). For the summer, you could unzip your bag and use it as a quilt but many (including me, though I haven't done a complete thru) switch out for a lighter weight bag. In my case, that bag is just a bag liner but I sleep very warm. My spring/fall bag is actually a 0 degree quilt (homemade) that has been quite comfy.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBlaster View Post
    What was the temp rating for your sleeping bag/bags you used for your AT thru? I have a 0* TNF sleeping bag and was going to use that for the first few months (March start). It's probably overkill but I don't want to spend too much on new gear.
    did 5 thru-hikes with a 20 deg. bag

Not sure that this deserves a whole thread, but does anyone think a liner is a worthy thing to bring when you have a 20degree bag? I got it because there's a reasonable chance that my SOBO hike could take me into December. Just thought a few ounces was a good price for a bit of insurance against colder conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On both my 06 and 2012 GA-ME thru-hikes i used a montain hardwear ultra-lamina 30 degree bag, on each hike i started Feb 14th and I stayed very comfortable and keep it the entire trip when the temps rose i used it like a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sureaboutthis View Post
    Not sure that this deserves a whole thread, but does anyone think a liner is a worthy thing to bring when you have a 20degree bag? I got it because there's a reasonable chance that my SOBO hike could take me into December. Just thought a few ounces was a good price for a bit of insurance against colder conditions.

a liner is one of those personal preference items a good thing to have but not neccessary, you will not need one at first if you are doing mail-drops add it to one in Central VA such as Waynesboro or Daleville. on my hikes i didn't use a liner at all and stayed pretty comfortable

Thanks for the input, Red.

I'm doing something I'm sure people would give me **** for if they knew - I'm carrying all my stuff at once. So I can bring it or not bring it, but I won't be doing drops. It's not even that bad with winter and summer stuff, 17.4 lb last I checked. Crazy heavy by UL standards but I'm not even going for that.

The wife and I will be using 0 Campmor bags when we start on 12/31. They're rectangular bags that we can zip together for even more warmth. We had these in Maine a couple years ago over Christmas when we visited Arcadia National Park. We'll also have a small dog sharing the bags with us. After the first couple months we'll send these home and get our Big Agnes 45 bags sent down.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by sureaboutthis View Post
    Thanks for the input, Red.

I'm doing something I'm sure people would give me **** for if they knew - I'm carrying all my stuff at once. So I can bring it or not bring it, but I won't be doing drops. It's not even that bad with winter and summer stuff, 17.4 lb last I checked. Crazy heavy by UL standards but I'm not even going for that.

Yep that would be what i would do, just carry every thing from the beggining, on my thru's my pack ranged from 25 to 30 lbs and that's with a fresh resupply and 2 32oz gatorade bottles, I carried everything i needed from the start and didn't mail anything home and i didn't have any regrets, Good Luck and have fun.

Images

Just an FYI, Marmot bag sale right now at Backcountry, a couple of very light ones, the Plasma 32, my wife loves her Plasma 15, pretty expensive, but worth it IMHO:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/sleep...l#.Uz2iqGlOU-U

And the 40 deg. Atom, for a mere $231:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/sleep...l#.Uz2i-GlOU-U

A good bag is worth every penny.

++ New Posts ++