WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    What water sources in the US backcountry have virus issues.....? You will be hard pressed to find any.
    I'm guessing, "not many" but many folks claim the AT water sources to be safe period. I choose to treat, and since I choose to treat, I want to render and all potential pathogens inert.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I just got the mini and have been testing it in various applications at home. It fits perfectly on my platypus and smart water bottles and drinking directly through the filter is pretty good. The wet weight of the filter is around 1.8 ounces. It does interfere a bit with my method of carrying water on the shoulder straps of my pack since the filter is tall and sometimes doesn't slip through the shock cord on the shoulder straps that well, but no big deal. Also I find that I need to unscrew the mini periodically to let air back into the bottles so they retain their shape and can be placed back into the shoulder strap shock cord system.

I think that my strategy will be to use the mini during the day as I collect water so there will be no waiting. But each evening, I'll use aquamira to treat my water for camp use that night and the next morning. If the aquamira is used in each of my aquamira bottles and the platypus that should also result in those containers being "clean" again should I later come across a water tap and wish to use the bottles directly without the mini filter attached.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Well thanks for your comments... It is for my 2015 thru hike.. but ive been section hiking the AT for years. Used AM drops up until now (bought Mini) have not used it.. but plan on using it in a few weeks on a section hike. I guess bringing both would not be a bad idea. I put a quick connect on my camelbak line so i can hook up the mini right to the line and fill my camelbak with a platy without ever taking my camelbak out of my pack. I like the idea of using the AM drops in large amounts of water and just using the mini for on the go drinking or quick drinks. I guess i will have to test both out and see what fits best, but with everyones info id probably end up bringing both. thanks for everyones input! appreciate it

It really depends on the water source. Most of the water sources I encountered were pretty clean, good flowing sources. I usually use Aqua Mira, but if you really need water now, or have trouble finding particle/dirt free water sources, use a filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++