WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default E2E Hike Starting Early September

I'm in the early stages of planning a NOBO hike in early September that will run into October. I'm thinking that a start in September will provide some peak foliage, minimal bugs, cooler temps and wide open shelters. Since I will be taking a month off from work I plan on taking the full 30 days to complete the hike with no real rush to finish. I've done quite a few backpacking trips so I feel I'm well prepared gear wise, but still might need to pick up a few items of clothing.

I was wondering if anyone had experience carrying a DSLR one a long distance hike like this, specifically in the the fall with potential for lots of rain? Right now I'm aiming to carry a 5d mkii with one or two lenses (to be determined) so I can document the trip.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Tim

My only advice would be to stay open minded as to the direction and perhaps slide the start back a bit-
    NOBO is the easier hike and likely the better plan but if foliage is a main attraction (and I agree it is) you may want to go SOBO so you travel with the colors.
    Leaves were just popping in late september last year.

Don't count on being too alone- September is prime time on the LT.

There's a parallel DSLR thread on the General forum that weighs in on the pros and cons of carrying a DSLR on the trail. No real diff between the AT and LT in that regard.

I would not want several thou worth of nice Canon gear dangling from my bod on the way up the Forehead on Mansfield. (Check out the photos and videos on the web...)

The southern LT is pretty mellow, but the northern LT is as gnarly and twisted as the worst (best?) of the Whites.

The main problem with NOBO early Sept is there will still be AT thru-hiker stragglers on the LT. Although SOBO is harder to start, you have a better chance of seeing early color up north and hit the peak colors which happens the first week or two of October in the south. And since there is almost always a little snow storm around the end of September, being in southern Vermont will be better then northen Vermont when it hits.

But either way, it will be a great time to hike the LT, just be ready for those inevitable raw fall days when it rains. But since your from Maine, you know what I mean.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm still debating what exactly to bring for a camera, I know I want high quality pictures and I think its worth lugging around the extra weight. Two lenses might be overkill, one really nice zoom might have to suffice.

I think I'm fairly set on doing at NOBO hike, I like the idea of easing into the trail and finishing up on the Canadian border. I've lived in Maine my whole life with the exception of Burlington, VT for 5 years, so if I don't hit peak optimal foliage it won't be a huge issue, the biggest draw for me is hiking in the cooler weather with minimal bugs, foliage is icing on the cake.

How busy are the shelters in early September? Is there space around the shelters to pitch a tent if they are full? Once I get off the AT I assume things will start to thin out. I'm still debating what I should carry with me for a shelter, I've always used a tent and I'm inclined to continue using one, any recommendations on a nice lightweight two person? I've heard people rave about hammock camping but I don't really want to buy a whole new sleep system, quilts and all.

Shelter spaces are mostly like the AT, so yeah, as well as I recall, the shelters between MA and Rte. 108 mostly have tent spaces.

Did you hike any of the LT during your years in Burlington?

Images

You will have no problem finding space in shelters in sept. 2 years ago it rained on us a lot so be ready, Lucky we took good rain gear.

Unfortunately I didn't hike any of the LT when I was living in Vermont, that's partly why I'm super pumped to be hiking E2E. I have done quite a few hikes in Maine on the AT, some of the 100 mile wilderness, and a few multi-day trips into Baxter. I can't wait to get back into VT and start checking out the Green Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberHo View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't hike any of the LT when I was living in Vermont, that's partly why I'm super pumped to be hiking E2E. I have done quite a few hikes in Maine on the AT, some of the 100 mile wilderness, and a few multi-day trips into Baxter. I can't wait to get back into VT and start checking out the Green Mountains.
    I think you're in for a fun trip. The northern half is no pushover, very comparable to Maine. Closer to MA it's more of a green tunnel, fairly easy & fast hiking.

There is very little or no tent space around shelters north of the AT junction. There really isn't any need for it. There are a couple of tenting areas sperate and aways from shelters in the Camels Hump/Mansfield area, along with Little Rock Pond and Stratton Pond, which can get busy with groups in the summer.

In fact, collage groups are your biggest problem in early September, you'll find them at every shelter from NJ well into NH that time of year. Thankfully, they tend to stay out of the shelters, but they will be near-by and can get noisy - these group bonding rituals where they all have to hug and scream chants. Very annoying. Don't they realise there are other people in the woods too?

On the AT/LT section, tent spots near the shelter is hit or miss. Some have them, some don't. The terrain isn't well suited for tents and many shelters are located in small, rocky clearings.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The main problem with NOBO early Sept is there will still be AT thru-hiker stragglers on the LT. Although SOBO is harder to start, you have a better chance of seeing early color up north and hit the peak colors which happens the first week or two of October in the south. And since there is almost always a little snow storm around the end of September, being in southern Vermont will be better then northen Vermont when it hits.

But either way, it will be a great time to hike the LT, just be ready for those inevitable raw fall days when it rains. But since your from Maine, you know what I mean.
    Exactly. And bring some kind of tarp or tent. You're likely to encounter full shelters on weekends, and don't forget... shelters have a nasty habit of burning down, and not being there when you expect them!

Only one shelter has been burnt down in Vermont, and that was a while ago. It was never replaced, but you can tent there now. It's just north of the AT/LT junction. Once, I did spend an hour looking for the Ritterbush shelter, not knowing they moved it a mile south (I was SOBO at the time). I thought I had lost my mind since I had stayed there a couple of times in the past and knew exactly where it should have been, but it wasn't there, with hardly a sign it had ever been there. So much for using a well out dated guide book from when I was a GMC caretaker!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hiked the LT SOBO in August and didn't see that many hikers until it merged with the AT. I spent the night at The Long Trail Inn and Mrs. Janet was up there and she follows the bubble from GA to ME so that gives you an idea about traffic in the southern 100 miles.

I'd prefer to hike the LT SOBO under any conditions though because logistically it's easier to arrange a right *to* the northern terminus than it is *from* the northern terminus and because given an option, I like to hike the hard stuff and get it out of the way first.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Default E2E Hike Starting Early September

Take a look at the compact system cameras. They combine point-and-shoot and digital SLR features in a smaller footprint, usually utilizing a fixed lens. I carry the Canon G12 which, although it weighs slightly more than a point-and-shoot, fits very nicely in one of my backpack's hip belt pockets. The G12 was replaced by the G15 and now the G16. The CSC gives me a lot more control than my old P-a-S's and is rugged enough for the trail.

I have been tempted to carry a SLR however I have much concern about the weight. The camera with a couple lenses could run over 5 lbs or if you have L lenses even more. When I last hiked the trail I made mental notes about coming back to certain areas for photo opps rather than carry a camera, tri-pod etc, however I do have the advantage of living in Vermont. I kind of have 2 mindsets on this. If my primary goal is distance hiking I leave the SLR at home. If it is photography I hike my areas of interest and accept the extra weight as I am likely hiking 20 miles or less. I also find that I have a tendency to make miles when hiking as opposed to "waiting for the light" or optimal conditions like I would if my primary goal was photography. That's my 2 cents but ii sounds like you plan on taking your time so you should be ok if you carry a SLR. (Plus you are much younger so the weight might not be an issue for you) You will definitely need to protect your gear from the rain. I use waterproof sacks or even good storage bags will do. Enjoy your Hike!

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do about a camera, I have all summer to test out different systems on a variety of overnight hikes, I should be able to dial something in by the time I hit the LT. I'm also looking a lensrentals.com as an option for a decent L lens, its actually quite affordable to rent a lens for a month, and for a few extra dollars you can get a damage waiver. If I don't go with an SLR my other option is the Fuji x100s, a much more compact camera that still produces high quality images.

On a separate note.

Are there any spots on the LT that have stream crossings?

Thanks,
    tim
    “All good things are wild and free.”

I haven't hiked every mile of it but my experience is nothing major for stream crossings. Did the lower 140 miles a couple years ago and much of the North in section hikes as I live in the area. The Lamoille river in Johnson has a bridge but it can be a bit of a "jump" to get on it when the river is up. If the river is high there is a traffic bridge up the road a mile or two. Some small streams near Mansfield, but no worries there. Others that have end to ended it may have better info. I am doing end to end this year as well starting in June.

++ New Posts ++