WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Section 12 -181 to Grandfther Mtn. Questions

Hey all! I'm trying to plan a hike of Section 12 and having a tough time finding detailed info. Even the Friends of the MTS site doesn't have much helpful info I'd prefer to not to buy a book if possible, I do have a map of the Boone area that shows the trail from 181 to Grandfather Mtn. Mostly I would like to know information about parking/shuttling, and trail conditions. I'm not worried about trail conditions as much as I am the parking. Any other useful beta would be awesome too. Thanks all!

Default Section 12 -181 to Grandfther Mtn. Questions

When are you planning on hiking that section?

If I happen to be in the Boone area then (which I am at least 50% of the time) I could possibly help you with a shuttle. You'll want the Wilson Creek Map which you can get at most area outfitters. The REI in Durham might carry it.

Also know that there are roughly 20 creek crossings in this section so be ready for wet feet.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley1985 View Post
    Hey all! I'm trying to plan a hike of Section 12 and having a tough time finding detailed info. Even the Friends of the MTS site doesn't have much helpful info I'd prefer to not to buy a book if possible, I do have a map of the Boone area that shows the trail from 181 to Grandfather Mtn. Mostly I would like to know information about parking/shuttling, and trail conditions. I'm not worried about trail conditions as much as I am the parking. Any other useful beta would be awesome too. Thanks all!
    I am a FMST-Falls Lake member but I do have some info on the section.

First off, official MST Trail guides are in the works. There is a committee working on format/info/distribution. Right now there is just a beta guide for Beacon Heights to Deep Gap available on at ncmst.org. I have A. Kelley's maps of the MST, but he doesn't want them distributed anymore.
    Taba's books (thru-hiker.us) are very helpful. Rat Treks blog has a couple journals about the section, so give it a look.

Second, when are you going? I have only dayhiked small parts of it (Beacon heights, Gragg Prong, and Upper Creek/181) studied this section for a long time but I wish I had the time to travel there and hike it. March/April will have high water. Wear blaze in the falls/winter for hunting season. Also good for rescue. And from my contacts and info, its rough. Plan on 8-10 miles a day. You will need to carry at least the USFS Wilson Creek map. The NatGeo map is ok. But it has some confusing junctions and turns.

Trail conditions really do matter for this area.
    I was attempting the same section April 2013, and my party and I were snowed and flooded out the morning we were to head out Surprisingly, the week before temps were in the 60s-70s. Then temps dropped fast for snow and ice.

You will be fording about 30 crossings; ankle to waist deep or more. Some of the trail between Pineola Rd/Harpers Creek trailhead to 181 is some of the most remote and rugid MST in the area.

Heavy rains or snow melt can make the crossings difficult and dangerous. There have been deaths recently reported at Huntfish Falls.

I would advise Beacon Heights to 181. The added trail from the viaduct to Beacon Heights can be overgrown with rodo and weeds at times depending on NPS maintenance regulations. So its best to start at the Overlook parking area

From Beacon Heights to Roseborough, it starts out pretty rough at the overlook. But soon you will drop very fast following an old road bed to forest road to Roseborough bridge. Then the trail follows Gragg Prong to Huntfish falls (wet). Its pretty much creekside trail for couple miles. A good climb out to the road. Follow the road to the Harpers Creek trailhead.

This section is VERY WET and rugid. You will be following/crossing the Harper Creek system a number of times. Passing some of the highest falls in the area. Its long winding and sometimes steep trail. There have been talks about relos in the area but I have not heard any recent news on them. But the stretch from Burnthouse to Upper Creek and up to 181 is on old timber roads and is also a biking trail. So expect eroded and steep trail.

Shuttles:
    Check with Pineola Inn in Pineola, CBS Sports in Morganton, and Mast Outfitters. The MST task force leaders for the section may also have some leads.

Parking:
    Beacon Heights - Parkway Overlook parking (lots, very visible)
    Roseborough Rd bridge trailhead (open all year) - Decent sized pullout
    Pineola Road (open all year) - The photos I have seen shows roadside pullouts at both ends.
    Burnthouse Branch - Supposedly there is a road crossing or biking road somewhere around there. But I believe its gated/closed or seasaonally open to vehicles.
    NC 181 (Greentown) trailhead - Its a small pullout on the steep part of NC181. Immediately across NC 181 is a forest road that the MST follows for a bit with a number of pull outs and campsites.
    Gated roads usually open the first week of April.

Upper Creek Falls and Barkhouse Rec Areas are a mile or so up the highway, and Ripshin Ridge and Pineola communities even further up.

The Beacon Heights, Roseborough Road, Pineola Road are my top parking spots for overnights. Everything else I have heard has had some risk in parking overnight.

Send me info and conditions of when you do walk it.

Seeks-It is currently on the coastal plain doing a hike&bike back thru to the west.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 03-18-2014 at 12:09.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Great Info TN Viking. Life distracted me and i firgot about this post, leaving Friday! That's very detailed and helpful. I think we have planned to go from 181 to Beacon Heights, why do suggest the other way? Do you have any camping info for the trail?

We do plan on brining a journal and taking detailed notes. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley1985 View Post
    Great Info TN Viking. Life distracted me and i firgot about this post, leaving Friday! That's very detailed and helpful. I think we have planned to go from 181 to Beacon Heights, why do suggest the other way? Do you have any camping info for the trail?

We do plan on brining a journal and taking detailed notes. Thanks!
    Park one car at Beacon Heights and one at 181 and it is 24.2 miles with 16 creek crossings. You will pass 5 waterfalls. At mile 8 of this section where you turn right down Raiders Camp Creek if you turn left and follow the blue blaze trail it will take you to this view of South Harper Falls about 3/4 mile. Worth the trip. There are around 43 established camp sites. Tn. Viking was talking about the climb from FS. Rd. 981 and the 7 mile climb up to beacon heights as the reason to go west bound. I was hiking the section from 181 to Raiders Camp Creek last weekend and there were a couple of blow downs and the creeks were fordable.
    If you come through Boone stop by Mast Store or Footsloggers and pick up a copy of Taba's thru hikers manual and you will be good to go. This section is well blazed but when you get to the section along Harpers creek watch for the white blazes as there are a lot of fisherman's trails.

Great beta Grits! Thank you! I called the ranger station to ask about current conditions but they didn't have any information.

++ New Posts ++