WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bar Food

The pub on the waterfront in Monson was a good 'un. Port Clinton was a good 'un. I like a cold Yuengling in the middle of a hot hike.

There was decent (not spectacular) pub food just off the trail at both Keys Gap and Snickers Gap.

South Mtn. Inn, in MD, a two minute walk from the trail. Very upscale.

+1 for the Doyle.

I still get laughs thinking of the Doyle. My very first time in there I ordered some kind of burger and a plate of fries. Even though the bar maid could obviously tell that I was a hiker she still asked me if I thought i could eat it all. After closing in on the last few bites I caused two patrons to exit after one remarked that I made him sick just watching me eat all that food. I then ordered something that came on a hoagie (I think it was a philly cheese steak) and proceed to fulfill my appetite while simultaneously chasing out a third customer who looked like he was about to hurl.

…man those were the days
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Images

the doyle. and it's not even close.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Also i forgot the Bakery in the Delaware water Gap makes absolutely scrumptious Apple Pies.
    Village Farmer
    Address: 52 Broad St, Delaware Water Gap, PA 18327
    Phone:(570) 476-9440

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    First place that came to mind is The Doyle. Sure, it's a dive, but as far as seedy bars/pubs go it's tops. It's hardly five-star accomodation, but it's a great place to flop when you're tired from hiking the PA section.
    Uh yea needs fixing up but its the comraderie of other hikers and the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    the doyle. and it's not even close.
    My passionate vote.
    >>>>>Port Clinton Hotel. I have been to both... give me time.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Levi Long used to cook up a good mess for hikers down in Bastian. Some of the old pharts remember Levi.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Also i forgot the Bakery in the Delaware water Gap makes absolutly scrumptous Apple Pies.
    Brought home two chicken pot pie from there...good stuffs.

The only place good enough for me to warrent a 0 day: The Kennebec River Brewery.

Maybe it was just the beer that was good.

There is a direct relation to how good the Bar Food is, to the amount of hiking days since the last food. If it has been 6 - 7 days of eating out of your backpack ANY Bar food is the best.... But the Doyle and Port Clinton are really good.

I'm not the greasy burger, cheese, and fries type. I absolutely loved the daily fresh homemade hearty meals, mostly Vegan or vegetarian, various drinks, namely the hibiscus iced tea(delish!), baked goods(they are homemade not made from a boxed recipe bread and muffins are the BEST on/near the AT I've sampled) from Twelve Tribes Hostel/Restaurant in Rutland VT. I would hope we all can sit down with people of opposite faiths or no faith at all and enjoy a hearty handcrafted delicious meal without all the belief infighting. PLEASE no derogatory anti-religious comments!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Bob's Dairyland in Roan Mountain isn't a bar but has killer sloppy burgers
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Sadly that place is no longer "The Secret Six" - now it's some fru fru place called Potomac Grill. Loved going to the "...Six" after hikes and always took guests there. Food could be off and on in quality but the fries and cold draft beers were always great. Turning into a DC-sounding chi chi cafe is a complete turn-off. There are other places to eat in town.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries
    Images

The half price appetizers during happy hour at the Woodstock Inn (North Woodstock, NH) are excellent and a very good deal for the area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++