WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    obviously you've never run a business on or near the AT that caters to walkers on vacation
    Every year I have some that are going to run the show. When they see I don't put up with their crap they run to the computer with their internet karate. Bottom line, I am not letting loafers hang out at my place so they can steal things of mine or my guest. Now, this hiker that is crying hasn't ever stole nothing, wouldn't think of it, and all that don't allow him to do as he pleases is a bad person, like ME. And hiker Mom, I know you love my services and are always there to tell about me not free shuttling your son and his crew that stayed all in one room at another motel. If you noticed the hiker said I gave him a free ride to town. I make those runs at 9am & 11am. I make my run to Wal Mart from 4 to 6pm. Didn't he state he was only there 30 minutes and had a couple of drinks only. They must have been great big ones !!!!!. Then I have to put you off my property after my wife ask you really nice to leave. Then the next morning you and the girl you were with come sneeking onto the back of the bus at Sapphire Inn while I was picking up the desk report inside. I saw you but was glad to get rid of both of you. The other hikers you mooched on paid for you staying in their room. If you got a problem with how I run my business, then stay away from it. You want to come in and be respectful and go by my rules, I will show the same respect in return but they ain't none of you gonna run my business whether you like it or not. Just because you cry on the computer and know internet karate, Sorry. As you already seen, you messed up. It gets worse on up the trail. I know you had a bad experience. I was impressed. All the rest of the hikers had charactor and didn't have any problems at my places. Just you and your friends. I know whiteblaze will close this thread or erase it but that is fine with me. If you want to get on my forum and get it red hot, log in to http://appalachiantrailservices.net and click on the forum. You are not going to spoil my fun. I meet a lot of really great hikers this year.
    Last edited by Ron Haven; 05-09-2014 at 02:08.

Images

Mr. Haven,

You were the epitome of courtesy to all I saw in 2012 and to me, as well. I'm glad you came back on to defend yourself. "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing". I hope you continue your good works through 2016 at least, so I can have ANOTHER opportunity to come by.

Don't know the hikers from Adam and Eve, but YOU had me on YOUR side as soon as I saw "Washington D.C. engineer and lawyer" on the other side. And my nephew is an engineer and my niece is a lawyer !!!

Didn't know you had a blog at the trailservices dot net. Looks like I have a GREAT day of catching up to do while grading papers in an almost empty classroom!

Thanks for all you do. May it come back 10 fold.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Have met Ron once while section hiking several years ago. Can't call him a personal friend (certain he would have no idea who I was), but consider him a friend of hikers.

His services were reasonably priced, dependable, and he went way beyond what much higher priced accommodations would offer to a tired, dirty vagabond.

I was very impressed with his offer of assistance (just give him a call), no matter where along the trail we were, if we could not find help we needed locally. He stated that he knew folks all along the trail, and he would find us any help we NEEDED. I think that was the key word, at least that would be the only time I would think to take him up on the offer.

I stayed one night at the Budget Inn. Got there late, after dark. Ordered Pizza, resupplied at the nearby convenience store, had a good breakfast, then Ron shuttled us back to the trail and made the above offer of help. This was later in the year, after thru-hiker season. Many of the hostels were closed down for the year, and Ron had ended his normal shuttle runs, but fired up the bus for us.

Good Guy, and I'm very thankful for him and others like him who make section hiking the AT so much easier.

Images

Just wanted to add, Ron isn't the only "good Guy" in Franklin. When we headed in to Franklin from the trail, we hitched a ride with a gentleman who was on his way home from work. We weren't certain that Ron would be doing shuttles to get us back to the trail, but the man told us, if we needed to, give him a call between 7 and 7:30 AM, he would pick us up at the motel and take us back to the trail on his way to work. Really nice guy.

Obviously, Ron came through with the shuttle, so we could enjoy a much more leisurely morning.

You're a liar to (a) accuse us of stealing a room and (b) hitching a free ride on your morning shuttle, Ron. We got a place to stay in town from another trail service, and the owner kindly offered to take us back to trail the next morning. I'll tell it to your face if I ever see you again: liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I took your wal mart shuttle from the Penny Pincher, not your shuttle into town from trail, so yes, we were there for a grand total of about 30 minutes. Maybe all of us disgusting, loafing, lying and cheating thru-hikers blend together in your mind, Ron. We are a horrible lot. Perhaps you should find a line of work where you don't have to deal with such an execrable element of society. Leave us to the rest of the businesses that actually treat us like human beings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Ron runs a great service and has helped many hikers over the years. Make no mistake, he runs a business and needs to make a profit but he always does more than most others would do. It wasn't until recently that he started charging for non-guests to ride his shuttle, no doubt in response to abusers.

I don't understand how he puts up with some of the "entitled hikers".

I've stayed at with Ron twice now and look forward to visiting again.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I don't know Ron, have never personally met him, but he helped me out tremendously this past week by allowing me to leave my car at the Budget Inn for free while my son and I completed a section hike. We spent the night at the BI, before our hike, and then for a small fee, were able to take showers when we returned later in the week. I'm sure It's not always easy dealing with hundreds/thousands of varying personalities a year and I can't speak of the OPs situation, but am glad Ron was there to help us out!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    I don't know Ron, have never personally met him, but he helped me out tremendously this past week by allowing me to leave my car at the Budget Inn for free while my son and I completed a section hike. We spent the night at the BI, before our hike, and then for a small fee, were able to take showers when we returned later in the week. I'm sure It's not always easy dealing with hundreds/thousands of varying personalities a year and I can't speak of the OPs situation, but am glad Ron was there to help us out!
    Friends, thanks for stopping in. You know, I am not perfect and I am human. I am a one man operation that has probably contributed more to the trail than anyone I know. I usually don't brag about it but I was thinking a few days back, "I love Hikers to be successful and I will try to help them". I have saw in my life people who lye to them, rip them off, and all kinds of kukie stuff. In my mind, I have always been fair, a straight person and did what I thought was honest and right. I see some who don't think that is enough. I am to the age, I am proud for what I do for hikers in spite of those few. Actually look at my new web page for my hiker services Ron Haven Hiker Services. Love you folks, take care and happy hiking........

Journal Entries
    Images

This thread has gone on long enough, I am going to close this thread. I think everyone has said what needs to be said. There is always two sides to the story. I have never had an bad experiences with any of Ron's establishments. But keep in mind a large hiker bubble was passing through and all the places in Franklin were full. Usually when this happens you have hikers trying to sneak into other hikers rooms to spend the night without paying. I am not saying that ericmcdaniel was trying to do this and I am sure he wasn't but sometimes it only take a few hikers to do this and it spoils it for the rest.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++