WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hostel Reservations/Etiquette

Do hostels typically require reservations or a "heads up" a few days before your planned stay? I know they vary for cost/donations expected, but am having trouble getting a feel for thru-hiker expectations on reserving a bed/floorspace. Thanks!

Journal Entries

I would say that most do not, actually I don't recall any that 'require' a reservation. Some will accept a reservation others will not and you need to show up.

That last part is a bit of a debate topic as some have said that use of a cell phone on the trail to get a reservation is 'unfair' or breaking some sort of AT trail etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    That last part is a bit of a debate topic as some have said that use of a cell phone on the trail to get a reservation is 'unfair' or breaking some sort of AT trail etiquette.
    Guess I've never worried what "some" thought. I have often called ahead to see if there was room or if they take reservations.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Some places such as green Mountain House require reservation but that's not a hostel per se. Others may accept reservations but I personally consider making one poor taste as there's likely others ahead that will get there and be denied, and hostels don't usually have staff waiting for phone calls.. I think it's better to reserve reservations for motels and B&B's

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Some places such as green Mountain House require reservation but that's not a hostel per se. Others may accept reservations but I personally consider making one poor taste as there's likely others ahead that will get there and be denied, and hostels don't usually have staff waiting for phone calls.. I think it's better to reserve reservations for motels and B&B's
    I know you have much more experiance me...I just dont see how making a reservation is in poor taste... everyone has the same opportunity to make reservation. Dang If I hiked into town only to find no bunks that would be mucho wasted time. Sure you still need resupply but still.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I know you have much more experiance me...I just dont see how making a reservation is in poor taste... everyone has the same opportunity to make reservation. Dang If I hiked into town only to find no bunks that would be mucho wasted time. Sure you still need resupply but still.
    I don't like it because a hiker without a cell phone could be hiking all day, make it to an empty hostel and told there's no room. Hikers with cell phones could have made reservations and may not show up until 10 PM.

It's pretty much a moot point, few "hostels" take reservations or credit cards over the phone or on a website. I'm sure most would laugh at the caller. Motels, on the other hand are another matter entirely.

If I know there's a bunch of hikers ahead of me, rather than hike into town late and possibly shut out of room, I tend to camp or shelter before town, and make it to town early the next day.

Since most trail hostels don't take credit cards, how are you going to guarantee a reservation?

How are they going to charge no shows?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I saw where the new Top of Georgia is taking reservations. If they're swiping credit cards that's one thing but if not, dollars to donuts they'll abandon the system within a couple weeks, when people start complaining and others don't show up on time.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Since most trail hostels don't take credit cards, how are you going to guarantee a reservation?

How are they going to charge no shows?
    Most smart phones can swipe (or key) credit cards now. Another problem is even if they take credit cards in advance and the people don't show. They'll have to turn away hikers with empty rooms, make a refund etc..

Reservations just aren't conducive to hostels.

I often call ahead to see if there is a space available. Dang if I want to walk into town just to find out that the hostel is full. Poor taste or not I call.

Huh? So non-cell phone hikers should get precedence? That's like saying non-tent carriers should get dibs on shelters.

I think the exact opposite. Poor taste is just showing up and expecting service. I always call and let a hostel know I'd like to spend the night. Thinking from a hostel owner's point of view, what the heck could possibly be wrong with that? T

Nothing wrong with calling to check availability. Specially if section hiking other than in the bubble.The hostel owner might even be out or closed during slow times.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Huh? So non-cell phone hikers should get precedence? That's like saying non-tent carriers should get dibs on shelters.

I think the exact opposite. Poor taste is just showing up and expecting service. I always call and let a hostel know I'd like to spend the night. Thinking from a hostel owner's point of view, what the heck could possibly be wrong with that? T
    It's called first come, 1st serve (same as shelters) and has been around for ages. Not he who calls first.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I often call ahead to see if there is a space available. Dang if I want to walk into town just to find out that the hostel is full. Poor taste or not I call.
    Calling to see if there's room and calling to reserve a room with hikers ahead of you is an entirely different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sseldovia View Post
    Do hostels typically require reservations or a "heads up" a few days before your planned stay? I know they vary for cost/donations expected, but am having trouble getting a feel for thru-hiker expectations on reserving a bed/floorspace. Thanks!
    Hostels are almost always first come first served.
    It is considered bad etiquitte to "steal" a spot via phone, for that reason most won't allow reservations anyway.
    If you are hiking with the bubble or during a busy time it's best to plan on getting there early, or as Sly said- hanging back to time your arrival that way.
    It makes perfect sense if it's late in the day and you have the means to call to save a trip to see if they are full.
    Although many "full" hostels let you tent (sometimes with access to shower and laundry) which is often better than finding a stealth site in town if nothing else is available- but some local ordinances will not allow that so don't be offended if they refuse.

Motels, B&B's, Hotels, Huts and pretty much every full price option will happily take reservations and payment over the phone.
    If it's critical you have a bed- that's the only safe route. Hostels are cheap but savings come at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Calling to see if there's room and calling to reserve a room with hikers ahead of you is an entirely different matter.
    Why? If it's the hostel owner's choice to say first come first served. Fine. I have no problem with that. You know how I'd know that? By calling.....

If others take reservations, how is that wrong? I'm supposed to intuit how many hikers are ahead of me and might wanna stay the night? To assume owners just want people straggling in at all hours to honor some sort of ancient code is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I know you have much more experiance me...I just dont see how making a reservation is in poor taste...
    It's not. I found most hostels willing to take reservations. The ones that did not sometimes led me to make other plans.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 03-10-2014 at 20:20.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

If they take reservations I make them, just like I reserve a shelter spot in the GSMNP. I have called many a hostels just in time to get them to hold a place for me.
    They were happy to do so and I was happy to get it.

Journal Entries

So my point is made and expressed many times here.

Some hikers prefer the non modern hiking experience but can lose out by doing so. The questions remain.

As for the OP, it does not hurt asking (calling) as you go, you can only benefit you, at the very least by knowledge of how they want to operate. I know that I have been given preferential treatment at hostels that I called (best bunk location etc.), and have been denied staying if I just arrived if they were full. That said I have always found a place to stay, the trail does provide, though the trail sometimes makes you think it may not.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you stay at my house with a hiker room, washer dryer, shower, stove. Its just gonna be luck of running into me on the trail or trail head. Like it was back in 78.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++