WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I can only report what I experience first hand in 2013. I do find it interesting that my list of hostels does not meet your definition of a hostel.
    Aquone
    Hemlock
    Crazy Larry
    Ironmaster
    Green Mt
    The Cabin
    Shaws
    AT Lodge
    I've never been to the Aquone so I don't know how it's set up. Crazy Larry has a couple bedrooms in his private home. Ironmasters is certainly a hostel (that's closed during the day). I haven't been to Green Mt but I would think it's more of a B&B than a hostel. Haven't been to the Cabin. Shaw's has a hostel but it's my bet you got a private room. I had a private room at AT Lodge, not sure if they have a hostel.

You can't just walk into a place like Aquone from the trail, so just the act of calling for a pick up is a call for a reservation.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Regarding church hostels, when I got to the road to Waynesboro, I was advised by a shuttle driver to call the church hostel there as they only had a limited number of cots and would turn away hikers after a certain number. Hikers also advised me to call Green Mtn the night before or morning of the day I was heading to town since it was a popular place to stay. The only other places I called were hostels that provided shuttles, mostly in Maine, since they were miles off the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You can't just walk into a place like Aquone from the trail, so just the act of calling for a pick up is a call for a reservation.
    I called the day before, while I was in Franklin, so I dispute that notion.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I called the day before, while I was in Franklin, so I dispute that notion.
    And I suppose you slackpacked from the road crossing to Aquone? My point is you can't just show up there, they are not on the trail.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    And I suppose you slackpacked from the road crossing to Aquone? My point is you can't just show up there, they are not on the trail.
    And my point, and the crux of this thread, is that they took a reservation. I didn't have to get to Wayah Gap first.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    Regarding church hostels, when I got to the road to Waynesboro, I was advised by a shuttle driver to call the church hostel there as they only had a limited number of cots and would turn away hikers after a certain number.
    Of course you can call to see if there's space, but I doubt the church hostel is going to take your reservation and save you a spot from the trail while another hiker has walked the distance to get the last bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Of course you can call to see if there's space, but I doubt the church hostel is going to take your reservation and save you a spot from the trail while another hiker has walked the distance to get the last bunk.
    You would have to be a very unfortunate hiker to walk in during the five minutes b/w the call and arrival but you'd get directed to the YMCA camping area a few blocks away if the church shuttle driver had already left and you didn't want to spring for a hotel. Especially since Waynesboro seemed like a really easy place to get a hitch. I had a couple of people offer me a ride back to the trail from the PO during the few minutes I was waiting for mine to show up.

Journal Entries

I had success in reserving Blueberry Patch as I wanted to slackpack there and get my pack advanced to them, I called up and told them my plans, I also told them that since I expect to be there late I may be in very tough spot if I didn't have a place to stay. They were (words fail me), basically they told me yes come here and you pack will be waiting for you in your reserved spot. It actually seemed more then that, like I was not going to be denied a spot, I got the feeling that it was part of their purpose of their existance of them providing it to me (thank you - SC). This also showed as they invited me into their home, not just the hostel building.

Other hostels that took reservations that I can recall:
    Laughing Heart, Hot Springs (prepaid for me about 3 days in advance (another person reserved it for me))
    Ironmaster's PA (also prepaid for me a day in advance)
    Teahouse Hostel Harper's Ferry (this one I had to foot the bill myself - same day reservation)
    Lake Shore House ME (This one I made myself but was paypal'ed the money for my stay later)

I'm sure if I look into it there are more, but yes calling does help and never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I had success in reserving Blueberry Patch as I wanted to slackpack there and get my pack advanced to them, I called up and told them my plans, I also told them that since I expect to be there late I may be in very tough spot if I didn't have a place to stay. They were (words fail me), basically they told me yes come here and you pack will be waiting for you in your reserved spot. It actually seemed more then that, like I was not going to be denied a spot, I got the feeling that it was part of their purpose of their existance of them providing it to me (thank you - SC). This also showed as they invited me into their home, not just the hostel building.

Other hostels that took reservations that I can recall:
    Laughing Heart, Hot Springs (prepaid for me about 3 days in advance (another person reserved it for me))
    Ironmaster's PA (also prepaid for me a day in advance)
    Teahouse Hostel Harper's Ferry (this one I had to foot the bill myself - same day reservation)
    Lake Shore House ME (This one I made myself but was paypal'ed the money for my stay later)

I'm sure if I look into it there are more, but yes calling does help and never hurts.
    Thanks, personal opinions aside, in the Companion, some of the hostels you mentioned, state they take reservations, the others have phone numbers. I sent an email to the field editors to specifically ask, and inquire about policy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++