Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    It's not. I found most hostels willing to take reservations. The ones that did not sometimes led me to make other plans.
    ChinMusic can you tel me which hostels took reservations? I don't believe any of the church hostels, Kincora, Blueberry Patch etc do. Which hostels?

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I have called many a hostels just in time to get them to hold a place for me.
    They were happy to do so and I was happy to get it.
    Can you me which ones? The reason I ask is I want the info for the 2015 Companion.

  3. #23
    Registered User Drybones's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Huh? So non-cell phone hikers should get precedence? That's like saying non-tent carriers should get dibs on shelters.

    I think the exact opposite. Poor taste is just showing up and expecting service. I always call and let a hostel know I'd like to spend the night. Thinking from a hostel owner's point of view, what the heck could possibly be wrong with that? T
    Agree.........................

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Agree.........................
    You can agree but it's under a false pretense. While it's similar in nature to shelters where it's first come first serve, it has nothing to do with non-tent carriers (which is insane) getting dibs at shelters which no one has called for.

    What's next shelter reservations along the entire trail? (not just in the Smokies which is another disingenuous argument.)

  5. #25
    Registered User Drybones's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You can agree but it's under a false pretense. While it's similar in nature to shelters where it's first come first serve, it has nothing to do with non-tent carriers (which is insane) getting dibs at shelters which no one has called for.

    What's next shelter reservations along the entire trail? (not just in the Smokies which is another disingenuous argument.)
    ????????????????????????????????????

  6. #26
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    ChinMusic can you tel me which hostels took reservations? I don't believe any of the church hostels, Kincora, Blueberry Patch etc do. Which hostels?
    Now that I rethink it, I cannot think of one call I made where the hostel didn't take reservations. Now, I did not always call. I generally preferred motels when the option presented.


    For sure took my res:
    Aquone
    Hemlock
    Crazy Larry
    Ironmaster
    Green Mt
    Hikers Welcome
    The Cabin
    Shaws
    AT Lodge

    I keep editing as I think of more. It isn't something I wrote down in my journal.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 03-10-2014 at 21:35.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  7. #27

    Default

    Sly,
    They do not advertise that they take reservations. I can tell you that I have called some hostels and they have held a spot for me. I have also called some hostels and they have denied my request. Sometimes it was the same hostel. No I haven't made them months or even weeks ahead. I have called them from the trail.

  8. #28
    Registered User canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-29-2012
    Location
    Tyner, NC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Now that I rethink it, I cannot think of one call I made where the hostel didn't take reservations. Now, I did not always call. I generally preferred motels when the option presented.


    For sure took my res:
    Aquone
    Crazy Larry
    Green Mt
    The Cabin
    Shaws
    Dont forget hike hostel and topofgeorgia (new this year)

  9. #29
    Registered User canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-29-2012
    Location
    Tyner, NC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    954

    Default

    That is hiker hostel

  10. #30
    Registered User lonehiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-18-2005
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Some places such as green Mountain House require reservation but that's not a hostel per se. Others may accept reservations but I personally consider making one poor taste as there's likely others ahead that will get there and be denied, and hostels don't usually have staff waiting for phone calls.. I think it's better to reserve reservations for motels and B&B's
    Most businesses on the AT don't have a staff waiting for phone calls. But, I guarantee that all of them sure appreciate the business that they receive. It is absurd to think that calling ahead to see about availability, and subsequent "reservation", is in poor taste. Hostels will make the call whether or not they will hold a room for you. My experience is that they will. I definitely won't apologize for prior planning on my part.
    Lonehiker

  11. #31
    Registered User Just Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-06-2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,772

    Default

    Well didn't this spin out of hand rather quickly.
    I'm still mainly with Sly, but it's been awhile and things change.
    This is a subject with no wrong answer.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post


    For sure took my res:
    Aquone
    Hemlock
    Crazy Larry
    Ironmaster
    Green Mt
    The Cabin
    Shaws
    AT Lodge
    Thanks, I'll try to make sure the field editors get a reservation policy.

  13. #33
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    This is a subject with no wrong answer.
    Sure there is. Poor taste and bad etiquette have nothing to do with reservations.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  14. #34

    Default

    Thanks, all, for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind and see what's easiest for both parties (me and hostel). Have a great hike!! T-5 days for me!

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Sure there is. Poor taste and bad etiquette have nothing to do with reservations.
    And since the cell phone first come first serve is out the window?

    The "hostels" you listed aren't exactly hostels that I spoke of. The fact is unless things have changed drastically you can't make a reservation at a church hostel, the Kincora, or blueberry patch etc.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sseldovia View Post
    Do hostels typically require reservations or a "heads up" a few days before your planned stay? I know they vary for cost/donations expected, but am having trouble getting a feel for thru-hiker expectations on reserving a bed/floorspace. Thanks!
    I only ever called ahead once, and that mostly to reassure myself that the place in question was open for business and that there was going to be someone on hand to let me in. It was a new hostel that had just opened that year (Free State hiker hostel in MD.) It was quite nice, by the way, and it turned out I had the place to myself.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Motels, B&B's, Hotels, Huts and pretty much every full price option will happily take reservations and payment over the phone.
    If it's critical you have a bed- that's the only safe route. Hostels are cheap but savings come at a price.
    And if you don't show up, then your charged anyway.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  18. #38
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    And since the cell phone first come first serve is out the window?

    The "hostels" you listed aren't exactly hostels that I spoke of. The fact is unless things have changed drastically you can't make a reservation at a church hostel, the Kincora, or blueberry patch etc.
    I can only report what I experience first hand in 2013. I do find it interesting that my list of hostels does not meet your definition of a hostel.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Some places such as green Mountain House require reservation but that's not a hostel per se. Others may accept reservations but I personally consider making one poor taste as there's likely others ahead that will get there and be denied, and hostels don't usually have staff waiting for phone calls.. I think it's better to reserve reservations for motels and B&B's

    This is what you posted.

  20. #40
    Registered User canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-29-2012
    Location
    Tyner, NC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Many do accept reservations, many dont, so call ahead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •