WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Start date: October 9, 2014
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Oma and Opa (my grandbabies call us that, and I tend to mother everybody, lol)
    Hometown:All over--retired Marines, currently, Shreveport, LA
    NOBO or SOBO (and why):1st section, SOBO in 2014, NOBO in 2015, in various sections, mostly to escape as much heat as possible
    Reason your thru hiking:I (Oma) have wanted to do this since I was 12 and read the book about the guy who did it, with the bear on the cover. Now, I've officially retired and it's time to have some fun, and travel, instead of taking care of everybody.
    Level of experience: None, actually, on the AT, but I am a retired Marine, so I've carried a pack or two. Same story with Opa. I have higher endurance than he does, but he probably moves faster than me. I have had issues with vertigo, which occasionally slows me down.

Start date: march 25 to april 1

Trail name (If you have one yet): none yet

Hometown:tampa florida

NOBO or SOBO (and why):nobo because i have family up north that im going to see after im done also not a lot of experience yet so nobo is easier as i have heard

Reason your thru hiking:didnt know what to do with my life yet have ideas but the trail will help me think also i have recently thought of doing the triple crown(pct cdt and the at)

Level of experience: not many overnight but i day hike every week

Hi all!!
    My name is Matthew..don't have a trail name yet.
    I'm from Knoxville, TN
    NOBO
    I plan on leaving early March
    My reason for hiking is just out of shear enjoyment. I hike everyday for work and I'm just looking to escape the fast-paced, 9-5 lifestyle everyone seems to be enveloped in and just wanting to live life the way it was meant to be! Been dreaming about it since I was a kid so I figured now's a perfect time!
    I have a lot of experience with backpacking but only for a week or less..never been more than a week. I hike everyday for work at least 15 miles so I'm not too concerned.

G'day
    Jim and the trail name is Moose
    Brisbane Australia
    NOBO
    13th Mar
    Fits in with my work commitments.
    If you add the Infantry days - although they can't be considered hiking, to much, WHY am I doing this? I love the bush and getting away from it all. People or solitude doesn't worry me. Looking forward to hiking in a different environment.

Hey all!

Start date: Mid-March

Trail name (If you have one yet): Whimsy
    Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): Hiking NOBO because I section hiked from Devil's Fork to Springer Mt. this summer and I would like to start the hike in a place where I'm familiar. I also have a lot of friends and family in the north east and hiking towards them will push me.
    Reason your thru hiking: I am called to the outdoors and I feel a pull to challenge myself physically and mentally.
    Level of experience: 300 mile section hike on the AT and lots of shorter section hikes.

Start date:
    I hope to start early/mid March
    Trail name (If you have one yet): still coming to me
    Hometown: Portland Maine
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): North bound seems the way to go, plus hitting New England in the fall seems most appropriate
    Reason your thru hiking: Recently divorced, young, and not ready to give myself to conventional society. Looking forward to meeting people on the trail.
    Level of experience: Never more than an 8 mile hike, will be training all winter though.

Is anyone else getting antsy? I'm already tired on waiting. I've read too much, researched too much, planned too much. I wish I had all my gear so I could do some shakedown hiking/camping. Anyone got a couple grand I can borrow until January?

We firefighters aren't rich, ya know. I need a wealthy mentor. A sponsor. A find raiser. A federal grant! A buried treasure!

No...I need more COFFEE!!!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Start date: June
    Trail name: Tianto
    Hometown: Reside in 3 different states depending on the time of year
    NOBO or SOBO (and why):SOBO (Already completed NOBO)
    Reason your thru hiking: Completed all 3 divides (triple crown) NOBO now attempting SOBO's
    Level of experience:Sufficient to understand my weaknesses and strengths

Nice to meet you guys.

Start date
    : March 15, roundabout
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Pending
    Hometown: Just north of Atlanta
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO. I live in Georgia; all the cool kids are doing it. Plus, I have not really been out of the South and seeing New England is a good motivation.
    Reason your thru hiking: At least several dozen reasons. Some are personal. Here's just one: I used to be a fat kid and fell in love with the idea in 2009, rediscovered a love for nature I had forgotten was there. Dropped like 100 lbs. and did a 180, becoming an enthusiast of physical things. Finally have the ability, the money, the motivation - now all I need is the courage. Also in the midst of a quarter-life crisis.
    Level of experience: Day hikes only, never been camping. I am working on that. As soon as I quit my job I will be able to take some. Right now I work 12-hour night shifts, I can scarcely schedule doctor appointments, let alone an overnight camping trip. Have yet to do an 8-miler but am able to do 6's fairly easily.

Journal Entries

Start date: Hopefully early May
    Trail name (If you have one yet): Sloth and I am hiking with my mom, Just Mom for her 50th birthday
    Hometown: Mesa, Arizona (currently live in South America)
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO because I live closer to the start (in TN when not in Chile) of the trail and I lived in Maine for 4 years before moving to Tennessee. I want to finish my hike in my favorite state in the USA.
    Reason your thru hiking: I am hiking for a number of reasons...I outlined most of them in my last post but mainly to learn more about myself and challenge my mind in body in new ways.
    Level of experience:
    I love hiking and backpacking but I am not sure what I would consider my level for the AT. I leave tomorrow for a 4 day backpacking trip in Peru (16 miles a day) so hopefully as I continue to prepare I will be ready for the AT.

Hey all!

i plan to start mid-March. I do not have a trail name yet, but from working at camps, my nature name is Kestrel. I'm originally from Southern Maryland. I'm hiking NOBO, because it works better with my schedule. I'm thru hiking because it's something I've thought about for years and never have had the chance to do, and I am able to do now, so why not? I've never met a thru hiker that has told me they regret doing the trail. I do not have much experience at all, but am seeking advice and knowledge from other hikers and co workers that have more experience backpacking. As of now, I'll be going solo which my family is not happy about, but I am not opposed to having a hiking partner. I joined this site to get support and encouragement from fellow hikers because I am not receiving much enthusiasm or support from my family. I look forward to meeting you all next spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle91090 View Post
    I hike everyday for work at least 15 miles so I'm not too concerned.

Hey! Just wondering where you work because I lived near Knoxville this past spring and worked at Camp Wesley Woods as an outdoor educator. I got to explore some of the Smokies on day hikes and really enjoyed the area!

hi
    start date - mid/late march
    trail name -
    hometown - antwerpen,belgium
    NOBO
    reason - the challenge,see a bit of America and to experience the american trails who are completely different then the european ones.
    experience - i have hiked 4 times the camino de santiago in Spain, 1 time the via de la plata in Spain and 1 time the Israel national trail.
    but still think i can learn a lot more about hiking .

What's up people

Start date: somewhere in between march 15th and April 4th, I'm still ironing out the details

Trail name (If you have one yet): none, but you Americans will probably end up calling "Canada eh"
    Hometown:Montreal, quebec
    NOBO or SOBO (and why):NOBO because I'm a newb and it seems the only logical choice if I wish to succeed
    Reason your thru hiking: To say I did it, to live an experience so few ever will and to see how determined I am
    Level of experience: none apart from a few day hikes a couple times a year

I work as a land surveyor in West Knoxville haha I've never even heard of that camp! But yeah I hike the smokies at least once a week..sometimes twice. It's an awesome area!

Start Date: March 15 2015, Trail name: None as of yet, Hometown: Saint Clair, Pa, Nobo, Reason: Tore acl on april 16th 2012, underwent 6 surgeries a staff infection and a bone infection. Almost lost my leg from bone infection, at that point I told the dr's even with a carbon leg I was doing the thru hike. I luckily kept my leg and have zero problems or pain.

Hello all,

Start date: first week of March, 2015
    arriving to Atlanta via Amtrak from D.C. figure it out from there, still looking at options to get myself from train station to approach trail.
    The trail name I like is homage to my past 38 years that have kept me FROM the trail.... T-Square, but I'm sure I will pick up another..who knows
    I'm from Springfield,VA. And I'm 110% ready to go...the other 110% well, earn that along the way. Hope to meet up with everyone as chance permits...

SLC

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krawler View Post
    Start Date: March 15 2015, Trail name: None as of yet, Hometown: Saint Clair, Pa, Nobo, Reason: Tore acl on april 16th 2012, underwent 6 surgeries a staff infection and a bone infection. Almost lost my leg from bone infection, at that point I told the dr's even with a carbon leg I was doing the thru hike. I luckily kept my leg and have zero problems or pain.
    Wow krawler so sorry for what you have gone through and so glad you have recovered - even if slowly. Hope to meet you out on the trail.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

It seems there will be a great mix of sexes, ages, nationalities as well as plenty from different states in the US to make for some entertaining times on the trail.

Yes I have gone thru a lot lately, doing great now. I have been putting down 18-22 mile trips in Pennsylvania while carrying almost everything I will on a thru hike. I still am without a acl, believe it or not u can live without one. I didn't want to chance another infection so I made the decision to live my life without a acl. It hasn't bothered me yet, with the pointless ups and downs, side hills or even hiking in rocksylvania.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Wow krawler so sorry for what you have gone through and so glad you have recovered - even if slowly. Hope to meet you out on the trail.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++