WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Slackanater View Post
    Well hello there ladies and gents!
    Start date 2nd week of February... ish
    Trail name (If you have one yet)
    Nope
    Hometown:
    Spartansburg, PA(Yep I'm a Spartan
    NOBO or SOBO (and why):
    NOBO because WE have to start early. I will be hiking with my lady friend who is going to med school and has a limited scheduled. So we will be starting early and walking fast!!
    Reason your thru hiking:
    It has been a life long goal/dream which only became possible when I met Sharon (the lady friend) without her it would have just stayed a dream.
    Level of experience: I grew up on a dairy farm and as a boy I lived in the woods. Although I never hiked or camped for more that a few days I'm very comfortable in nature. Sense meeting Sharon however we have went on a number of week-longs and have ticked 13 of the 46 high peeks in the Adirondacks.
    If anyone is interested we have put together a fun video of our last trip 115 miles on the North Country Trail https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DrJAGAUd1VU . That video series will also follow us on our thru-hike

ENJOY the adventure
    and remember keep it between the blazes
    Hello again !!
    We would just like to update all our fellow thru-hikers that maybe interested in getting to know us. Go to www.facebook.com/tokatahdin for our videos/blogs and updates. Only 17 day and we will be on the trail!
    Keep it between the blazes

Start date: February 16th (+/- a couple days)
    Trail name (If you have one yet): none yet
    Hometown: Higganum, Connecticut
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, because the timing works.
    Reason your thru hiking: I heard about the trail a couple years ago and just couldn't let it go.
    Level of experience: Not much, I've done a lot of reading and preparing but long distance backpacking is still new to me.

I'm really excited to get out there, and i'm looking forward to meeting everyone else!

Start Date --March 21,2015
    Trail Name--No Spring Chicken
    Hometown--Toledo, Ohio
    NOBO or SOBO--starting NOBO, will flip flop if I have to (because Im slow)
    Reason--Well, Im no Spring chicken (63). Biggest thing in the bucket list.
    Level of experience--week long backpacking trips on the AT. No cold weather backpacking experience.

Cant wait to meet everyone.

Hello there!!
    Quick update Sharon and I hit the trail in 6 days... ahhhhh its happening. Check out a video we made yesterday on the electronics that we will be taking with us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=YkkepN_zKbA
    Keep it between the blazes

April 7th
    Grizzle
    Phoenixville,PA
    GA to PA
    Experience wise... 3.1 on a scale of 5..
    Looking to get away and go for a walk... Figure I may as well bring a pack and tent... walk up and down some mountains....ya know... the good stuff.

Start date March 1st
    No trail name yet
    Home town is Huntsville, Alabama
    NOBO because this is my first AT hike. I might be open to a flip flop.
    I want to take this journey because I'm a medically retired army veteran who is lost since getting out of the military. I am hoping to find my direction in what I want to do now. Also, I do not have a hiking partner yet so if anyone would like to join up my start date is flexible just message me. I'm a 30 year old male and would like to try to average around 15 miles a day give or take depending on terrain.

Start: April 19
    Trail name: n/a
    Hometown: Morgantown, WV
    NOBO: Less skeeters.
    Reason: Ain't nothing better than moving around in the woods til your dead tired and then crashing comfortably in a hammock.
    Experience: The more you think you know, the less you actually know.

Journal Entries

I'll be hiking NOBO starting April 7th and hope to see some of you out there! I'm posting about my experience at thegillianlife.wordpress.com; feel free to follow along!

Start: mid to late April (haven't decided on a date yet).
    Trail name: Still thinking of one. I'm scared to "acquire" one along the way. Haha
    Hometown: Mansfield, Pa
    NOBO: Other than tradition, no reason why I'm not going SOBO, really.
    Reason: Ever since I was a Boy Scout (some 25 plus years ago), I heard of the trail and thought that would be one of the coolest things I could try to do (end to end). Now that I just retired, that time has come. And I can't wait!!
    Experience: No more than weekend camps/hikes, so this should make it interesting. I'm up for a challenge.

Start Date: March 12-22, 2015 (Depending on the weather)
    Trail Name: Everyone gave me the name 'Indiana Bones' or just 'Bones' (because I'm an international archaeologist.)
    Hometown: Charleston, SC. (Originally...Glasgow, Scotland)
    NOBO: because I don't have the means to travel up north before hiking south. I'm close to the southern terminus.
    Reason: I've been an avid hiker since the age of 11. It's just another hike to cross off my list, and I'm excited to meet new people along the way!
    Experience: I'm a US National Park Ranger. I have thruhiked the PCT, John Muir trail and half of the CDT. You live and learn, and I still learn every day!

Feel free to follow my Instagram, Wordpress, or Youtube!
    Instagram: @RangerRenton
    Wordpress: IndianaBones.wordpress.com

Starting NOBO 4/16...yay
    Trail name: none yet(should be interesting)

No real experience but done lots of reading.

Hike on brothers and sisters see you in trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User BrandtCantWatch's Avatar

Starting flip flop 4/27 nobo from harpers ferry.
    Trail name: tbd
    Hometown: detroit
    Reason: to cherish every second of this trail.
    Exp: 100 miles over several overnighters last year and now im hooked.

Come join the flip flop movement.
    "Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man"

Start date: End of April
    Trail name: I don't have one. And I don't know how I feel about getting one
    Hometown: Bangor-ish Maine
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO. Because I am from Maine and I want to finish my hike and be close to home.
    Reason your thru hiking: I've wanted to since I was a kid. I met my husband and he had always waned to. Our kid just left home so we're running off into the woods to play!
    Level of experience: We have both been hiking since we were kids. The AT in Maine, trails in Oregon and northern California, New Hampshire

Journal Entries

start April 13 from Hike Inn
    trail name Gdad hiking with Lucy adrenalin is really getting high can't wait to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start date: 03-28-15 Drivng down to Georgia tomorrow and starting Saturday.

Trail name (If you have one yet): Columbus: I often don't find what I'm looking for but it usually works out any way.

Hometown: Columbus, OH

NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO because that's how I planned it over the last 6 months lol

Reason your thru hiking: A lot of reasons but mainly because I've always dreamed of it

Level of experience: Lots of hiking and small amounts of backpacking

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the trail. I will be solo so feel free to say hi. Thank you to these forums for being invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissGuy View Post

Start date:April Fools Day

Trail name:FoxHat
    Hometown: Providence, RI. Relocated to Houston, TX last year
    NOBO or SOBO (and why): NOBO, because I've already done blackflies and mud in VT/NH, no need to do it again right away
    Reason your thru hiking: Already sectioned quite a bit, I do a lot of hiking and bike touring, been wanting to Thru for a long time, and now I have the money, the time, the gear, and the skillset, may as well be now.
    Level of experience: Ex-Military, done several 500+mi outings as a civilian.

If anyone from Houston/Austin wants to meet up and compare notes/gear/generally chew the fat, let me know.
    Hey SwissGuy,

I'm moving back home to Lake Jackson after I complete my thru this year. Stationed in Quantico right now.

Start Date: Early May or early June
    Trail Name: Showtime has followed me in the military, but I'll be getting my trail name on the trail.
    Hometown: Lake Jackson, TX. Stationed in Quantico, VA currently.
    NOBO or SOBO: NOBO b/c I grew up with mutant power plant mosquitos on the gulf coast. Hoping to summit Katahdin on my 1 year of sobriety (Oct. 4)
    Reason for hike: I love to hike, and was inspired to do the trail three years ago after reading the Barefoot Sisters. My getting out of the Marine Corps means I don't have any long term obligations, and I'd rather do it now than wait twenty years.
    Level of Experience: I hike most weekends, in mountains when I can, and several times throughout the week. Two twenty mile days is not a problem, but I have never tried it on my longer trips (5 to 10 days).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++