WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    "Shallow Gal"

There, I rescued you from "Kevin".....
    I'm not shallow! I'm matter of fact....

(and shush about the Kevin thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    I just browsed through her journal and she's super pretty! I dunno why nobody would make room for her. O.o
    I was thinking the same thing. Makes you wonder who were these guys in the shelter? Some hottie walks up and asks "is it ok if squeeze in with you guys for the night?" and their like "no, sorry sweetie". Either the shelter was really really full or maybe she didn't wake everyone up.
    Now, if big old smelly fat guy were to show late I can see the invite being not so much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    I just don't understand the concept of not making room for someone.
    Happened to me once at the second shelter north of Erwin. Cherry Gap? I forget. Rain. They had the full complement. Whether it was eight in an eight or six in a six I forget. It was a while back. I just put up my tent. She had a tarp so she wouldn't get much extra warmth anyway. In her situation I'm sure I would have gone to Franklin. But I understand her wanting to tough through it.
    Last edited by bamboo bob; 03-06-2014 at 10:40.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Regardless of her preparation or not, I was a little taken aback by the reaction of the people in the shelter: NONE.

If I saw someone shivering in front of me, I'd try my best to help the person.

Of course, it was at night, so maybe people did not realize she was shivering? (No sarcasm; being quite serious).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

tj3968_050306_135825_143751.jpg

There should always be room for one more, otherwise...what's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Regardless of her preparation or not, I was a little taken aback by the reaction of the people in the shelter: NONE.

If I saw someone shivering in front of me, I'd try my best to help the person.

Of course, it was at night, so maybe people did not realize she was shivering? (No sarcasm; being quite serious).
    I'm actually not that surprised, since it sounds like she didn't tell anyone that her underquilt was wet. If I'd been there and someone asked if there was any extra room without explaining how dire their situation was, I would imagine I'd guess the person had a tent and just didn't want to set it up.

That said, hypothermia is a funny thing, and at that point she probably wasn't in the best state of mind and didn't even think to mention that her underquilt was wet... it really messes with your judgement like that. Scary situation overall, and I'm really glad she got out of it in one piece. Just goes to show how careful you need to be outdoors, and how even one small decision can effect things on a much grander scale over time.

Semi-related story: I was at a shelter once where someone came in demanding people make room because he wasn't carrying a tent and he was a thru hiker and deserved a space in the shelter. It didn't go over well, and he ended up having to hike on. (OK, not really related at all, just a story I like to tell)
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I'm glad in her writings she doesn't blame anyone for her conditions. She takes full responsibility, and learns from her mistakes.

Also glad she doesn't use being a woman as a crutch or as a hustle.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Default It can happen to anyone!

You are right. Last 2013 year mid April I was headed thru the southern GSMNP NB and got up one morning at first shelter Mollies Ridge I think? It was warm and raining. A ridge runner was at the shelter(he was out of Fontana) he suggested go low on clothes and keep other stuff dry. I tried to follow rules by moving one shelter, which make sense and keeps shelters from getting to crowded. So, I am used to being outdoors and not best hiker or worst hiker. I get to next shelter-Full and keep moving. People locked up and not moving-I don't want to be in a crowded shelter anyway. HIKE ON and next shelter full also-standing room only. OK weather turned cold by now and sleeting-I am cold, but HIKE ON. 3rd shelter-I am freezing now and it is full. Not because I hike slow- started at like 6am-full because no one was moving shelter-I am not talking full, but standing room only-nasty dirty full. Pitched my tent, got out of wet clothes and into a dry down bag after some food while shivering. Next morning I was OK, but 19degrees and ice everywhere. Clothes frozen, water frozen, tent frozen, Sawyer filter cracked. I was out and done at Clingsman next day and headed home, sucks cause had 10 more days to hike-whimped out. Wish I had kept going. Redue this April.

When I left out of shelter that morning I had no idea what I was getting into weather wise or full shelters. I thought everyone would follow rules and move a shelter not hole up like the mice. 2014 HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    First I want to make it clear that I am not knocking or judging this hiker. Each and everyone of us could find ourselves in this situation. What I did find interesting however is this entry in her journal:

Friday, February 21, 2014
    ..."I am hiking to be humbled- to know what it feels like to be scared, uncertain, frustrated, homesick, cold, wet, tired beyond belief, and in physical and mental pain." ...

That may give some insight into her decision making process.

As for people not making room in the shelter, happens all the time. One thing I hear on here very often is the saying "when it's cold and wet, there is always room for one more in the shelter". I have said it before that in my experience that is not true, so you need to be prepared if the shelter is full. This is an unfortunate example of that happening.

I am glad she made in safely, and I hope the weather clears up so she and all the other hikers out there can stay safe and enjoy their hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'm actually not that surprised, since it sounds like she didn't tell anyone that her underquilt was wet. If I'd been there and someone asked if there was any extra room without explaining how dire their situation was, I would imagine I'd guess the person had a tent and just didn't want to set it up.

That said, hypothermia is a funny thing, and at that point she probably wasn't in the best state of mind and didn't even think to mention that her underquilt was wet... it really messes with your judgement like that. Scary situation overall, and I'm really glad she got out of it in one piece. Just goes to show how careful you need to be outdoors, and how even one small decision can effect things on a much grander scale over time.

Semi-related story: I was at a shelter once where someone came in demanding people make room because he wasn't carrying a tent and he was a thru hiker and deserved a space in the shelter. It didn't go over well, and he ended up having to hike on. (OK, not really related at all, just a story I like to tell)
    Well, I don't feel sorry for the thru-hiker, then. Sounds like the hiker cocked an attitude. All my empathy & compassion is gone.

If that same hiker came in apologizing for not carrying a shelter himself, asked politely if something could be done to help him/her out- that works for me. If someone in this same situation was in a life threatening situation , attitude or not, I'd help out any way I could. I could not let someone suffer or die, bottom line. I wouldn't care if they "deserved" it.

Another semi-related story. My first section hike (Massachusetts), I arrived at a shelter and chose to hammock nearby. The shelter filled up, more or less, as dusk fell, and up the trail trudged a very fat young man hauling two tote bags packed with large soda bottles and other "food" items. He was determined to hike in spite of it all, and announced to all present that he would sleep outside on the ground since he snored and would keep everyone up. One of the hikers insisted that he sleep in the shelter, since thunderstorms were imminent. I went off to my hammock (where I stayed dry), and in the morning found him asleep, and snoring, on the shelter floor.

And yes, I looked at the Trillium's photo in her journal and agree with Sierra2015. She's young, blond, spunky, and attractive (and no, I'm not a guy). Hard to believe nobody stepped up and helped her.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    When I left out of shelter that morning I had no idea what I was getting into weather wise or full shelters. I thought everyone would follow rules and move a shelter not hole up like the mice. 2014 HIKE ON!!!

Miller
    Well, it wouldn't have made much difference. If everyone from one full shelter moves on to the next shelter, it will be full again. Chances are good at least some from each shelter pushed on to the next one, it's just that you happened to be there when everyone else was too.

I got to the Smokies in late April and left Fontana dam in the rain with one other person, while about 25 others stayed put at the fontana hilton. Since we were the only two to leave that day, we pretty much had all the shelters until north of New Found gap to ourselfs. Timing is everything!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Default nope!

I was the first and fastest on the trail that morning(in the area) up at 5 on trail by 6am dark or not. Like you said in your second pharagraph they were holed up with no movement(25 did not move). Glad I had a tent and warm bag. It looked nasty in the shelters anyway. Getting cold can happen to anyone that makes a bad choice. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well, it wouldn't have made much difference. If everyone from one full shelter moves on to the next shelter, it will be full again. Chances are good at least some from each shelter pushed on to the next one, it's just that you happened to be there when everyone else was too.

I got to the Smokies in late April and left Fontana dam in the rain with one other person, while about 25 others stayed put at the fontana hilton. Since we were the only two to leave that day, we pretty much had all the shelters until north of New Found gap to ourselfs. Timing is everything!

Many replies appear to be assuming the other people in the shelter were aware of the full extent of her situation.

Look at it this way: Full shelter, rainy day, late arrival asked everyone else to make room. Sorry, that is poor planning on your part. Where is your shelter? Go tent or hammock or whatever.
    Not happy with the limited response, late arrival decides to camp in ground (why doesn't late arrival have a shelter?).
    That could easily be percieved as a passive/agressive attempt to "shame" people into moving.

I no longer offer advice or help when hiking unless directly asked (or if it was VERY obvious that person was incapacitated).

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Also glad she doesn't use being a woman as a crutch or as a hustle.
    This. .
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Journal Entries

this case is an example of the obsession of focusing on pack weight is dangerous. and poor planning. this amazing young lady has a tiny pack, from what I can tell, and for a February start and on the AT, u need changes of clothes, multiple pairs of socks and a good shelter . I use a sil tarp . I love tarping. I wouldn't count on tarping in February on the AT. I want a bigger pack with clothes, and a good reliable stove, and I'm gonna get into camp early on poor weather days. granted, if she rolled up on me, I'd make room 1000 times out of 1000. it's the right thing to do and shes pretty. that said on rainy days if you roll up to a shelter at 7:30 pm don't expect happy occupants in there.

still I have seen days in the smokies with 30-40 hikers in a shelter so, things can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Journal Entries

I did notice that she wasn't tarping but hammock hanging with a tarp. i just noticed how small her pack was . hammock camping can be cool and light in all seasons, but obviously it depends on the type and your particular setup. obviously hers is ill suited. I sure hope she gets back out there, I'd love to see her do well. that said , the extra 5 miles or so from the shelter to the NOC is really no big deal, it's all down hill, it's something I might have done anyway . it wasn't the most amazing hike of all time, given that she started at 6am

YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    this case is an example of the obsession of focusing on pack weight is dangerous. and poor planning. this amazing young lady has a tiny pack, from what I can tell, and for a February start and on the AT, u need changes of clothes, multiple pairs of socks and a good shelter . I use a sil tarp . I love tarping. I wouldn't count on tarping in February on the AT. I want a bigger pack with clothes, and a good reliable stove, and I'm gonna get into camp early on poor weather days. granted, if she rolled up on me, I'd make room 1000 times out of 1000. it's the right thing to do and shes pretty. that said on rainy days if you roll up to a shelter at 7:30 pm don't expect happy occupants in there.

still I have seen days in the smokies with 30-40 hikers in a shelter so, things can be done.

Yeah. I can be comfortable and safe with very light and minimal gear doing short sections where I pretty much know the weather forecast, and ultimately can bail if the unexpected happens (not that a thru-hiker can't, which was her mistake given that opportunity). But on a thru-hike in February, you've simply got to carry suitable gear, and given that shelters can be full, I don't think a tarp cuts it either unless you are really experienced and hard core.

Sometimes it seems that the "S" in SUL doesn't mean "super", but rather, "stupid".
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Wow, this thread has sort of given me flashbacks.

Hypothermia is evil, insidious and dangerous. I almost died of it once and it was years before I could go into the woods when it was raining. I would sooner be on the arctic barrens at 40 below, than be in the rain just above freezing temperature.

The only reason that I'm still alive is because someone else recognized the state I was in and helped me before I walked into a moving helicopter rotor. Good decisions become difficult to make and bad ones all too easy.

Unfortunately, hypothermia has to be experienced before you fully realize how bad it can be. I can understand a group of new hikers in an AT shelter -cold and tired themselves - not realizing what was happening to her.

To this day, the only things that scare me in the woods are hunters, lyme disease and being cold and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Many replies appear to be assuming the other people in the shelter were aware of the full extent of her situation.

Look at it this way: Full shelter, rainy day, late arrival asked everyone else to make room. Sorry, that is poor planning on your part. Where is your shelter? Go tent or hammock or whatever.
    Not happy with the limited response, late arrival decides to camp in ground (why doesn't late arrival have a shelter?).
    That could easily be percieved as a passive/agressive attempt to "shame" people into moving.

I no longer offer advice or help when hiking unless directly asked (or if it was VERY obvious that person was incapacitated).
    It's particularly rare if I stay in a shelter with other hikers, so I never run into the situation you describe of someone angling to get into the shelter. However, any time the weather is wet and rainy I'm watching out for hypothermia in me. If a hiker came in late on such a wet day, I'd be wondering if he or she was ok. Moreso if solo and particularly if throwing down on the ground without a setup overhead. Hypothermia is dangerous because it starts to affect mental processes.

She didn't speak up, but if we don't look out for fellow hikers, we are failing ourselves. It could just as easily be you or me the next time. If someone says they are hypothermic, I will stop whatever I am doing and try to help that person. Warm clothes, warm bag, quick energy foods.

She should have said something as she recognized she was hypothermic. Her stopping shivering after 10 minutes was not a good sign, that's a worsening of the condition if she hadn't actually warmed up. That's hard to tell there though she had a dry overquilt she might have warmed up. She does not mention eating at all either. It's good she has learned from it. I have had mistakes in cold weather too and learned from it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

"Experience is a great teacher, but the tuition is high"

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++