WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default About Gear (would like input)

This is a list of gear I plan on taking on my thru-hike. I would like any input on what else i may need, or comments about my current gear. Some items may be viewed as a "luxury item"

OSprey exos 58L (2014 model)
    Big agnes fly creek ul1 (With footprint)
    therm-a-rest trail scout (maybe getting UL PAd)
    teton 20 degree sleeping bag (have micro ul 45 degree for hotter months)
    pillow
    50 ft paracord
    sawyer filter mini
    1 liter platypus
    toiletries (ear plugs, travel toothbrush/paste, ibuprofen, mini first aid kit)
    Deck of cards
    headlamp
    cooking supplies (stove, foldable bowl, utensil, pot-stand/windshield)
    3L camelbak

CLOTHES
    2 synthetic shirts short/long sleeve

convertible pants
    rain jacket
    pack cover
    THERMALS
    3 PAIRS OF SOCKS
    2 HIKING UNDERWEAR SHORTS
    DOWN JACKET
    FROGG TOGG PANTS
    BOARD SHORTS

Please let me know your input. I look forward to reading your comments.
    Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

what month u starting and are u nobo or sobo. if nobo and starting soon a 20 degree bag may not be enough........

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Does your mini 1st aid include
    something for blisters?
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Somehow made a duplicate
    Last edited by LDog; 03-05-2014 at 01:41.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by matt9817 View Post
    This is a list of gear I plan on taking on my thru-hike. I would like any input on what else i may need, or comments about my current gear. Some items may be viewed as a "luxury item"

OSprey exos 58L (2014 model)
    Big agnes fly creek ul1 (With footprint)

Good choices, should be pretty light. I'd leave the footprint behind. Might look at solo tents by folks at LightHeart Gear, TarpTent, and Six Moons Designs to cut some weight.

therm-a-rest trail scout (maybe getting UL PAd)

This is really heavy. If you can afford it, I'd go with the lightest NeoAir you can afford ... You'll appreciate a light load on your first long uphill climb ...

teton 20 degree sleeping bag

If yer talking about their "UL Trailhead, it's still 2.9 lbs. I know this is one of those big ticket items that can be insanely expensive, but it's also one of your "Big 4" for weight reduction. If you can't afford a sweet Western Mountaineering bag, (who can...) I'd cruise REI, CampMor, and the other big outfitter's outlet sites for end of season sales to find a really light, 800 fill down bag.

pillow

I like my Exped inflatable. Many will suggest leaving it behind and using spare clothing in a stuff sack ...

50 ft paracord

If for bear bag, you might consider something lighter. A local outfitter, or marine supply will have lots of thinner, lighter line. AntiGravityGear sells their TreeLine 40' Spectra 725 which works great and weighs about an oz
    . Don't get a big, heavy carabiner, get a light "not for climbing" model instead.

sawyer filter mini

Excellent - You might want a couple of extra squeeze bags in a bounce box. They still ain't bomb-proof.

1 liter platypus

I like the collapsable bags. Make sure you have the potential to carry up to 2Ls when your planned campsite is a goodly distance from a water source. I haven't caught up with Platy/Sawyer compatability. A year ago, Platy's threads did not properly match Sawyer filters ... I think I heard Platy has changed their threads to match everyone else's?

toiletries (ear plugs, travel toothbrush/paste, ibuprofen, mini first aid kit)

This is a place where one can seriously overdo things. Make sure you have what you need. But don't carry big qtys.

headlamp

Look for one that has a red light option or you won't be loved in shelters

cooking supplies (stove, foldable bowl, utensil, pot-stand/windshield)

I'd argue all you need is a 700 ml pot, that you both cook in and eat out of. A light stove (I like canisters) A long spoon to get all the way to the bottom of the pot. Maybe a cup for coffee ...

3L camelbak

I carry 2 600ml gatorade bottles for water. Lots lighter than camelbak, and I can see how much water I have left. My pack comes with the ability to hang them off the front of my straps, so I look like a geek, but it works for me. Suggestion - Lose the camelback.

CLOTHES
    2 synthetic shirts short/long sleeve

If you can afford merino wool, you will appreciate not stinking as much ...

convertible pants

I think most everyone thinks this is a good idea, and almost no-one ends up thinking so. Most will wear shorts over tights/base layer in cold wx, and just shorts in warm. Some of us wear long pants all the time.

THERMALS

In cold wx, I'd have one set to wear during the day, and another set I wear only to sleep in

3 PAIRS OF SOCKS

Good, and one of those pair are your "Sacred Socks" that stay with your sleeping bag for sleeping only

2 HIKING UNDERWEAR SHORTS

1 pair to wear, the other hanging off the back of your pack, drying after being washed in a spring. Downstream from where I'm getting drinking water ...

DOWN JACKET

Unless you're starting early, you don't need too much here. A lightweight down sweater or vest, over your base layer, with your rain coat over the top should suffice.

FROGG TOGG PANTS

Good choice, Really only important when it's cold and windy. The rest of the time I'd just walk in the rain, get wet, and change into dry cloths at camp. Send them home as soon as it warms up.

BOARD SHORTS

Pick the lightest, fastest drying, nylon shorts. When you've been walking in the rain, you want to at least hope they'll dry overnight.

Then there's all the other stuff that can add pounds to your pack. Phone, camera, chargers, trail guide, xtra clothing, knife, journal... Do your homework, leave as much out as you can, get the lightest stuff you can afford for what must go in.

Enjoy your hike. Hope to see you out there!
    Last edited by LDog; 03-05-2014 at 02:02.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

You can save some weight by leaving a suit out of your deck of cards, but then You would.........
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Early march is when i plan on starting. I feel that having a 20 degree bag and layers of clothes should be sufficient.

Ldog- very good advice, thank you for taking your time and helping me out. I def plan on getting new sleeping pad. that could save a pound or two right there. I feel that the Teton sleeping bag would only be carried for so long (may be worth the comfort) until I mail drop my Micro UL seeping bag which is a little under 2LBs. I am still debating about my pillow, i could use my down jacket as a pillow, or stuff sack of clothes, i have to see how that will work for me. As for carrying and cleaning water... i put a quick connect on my camelbak line so i can disconnect it and hook the sawyer right up to it and filter it right in without ever taking my camelbak out of my bag. It also has a on/off valve so i can stop the flow at any time. (use it to clean pots, etc.) In my first aid bag i do carry needle, band-aids, mole skin, ibuprofen. My cooking stove is very, very light, and not an issue. For the clothes i read mixed reviews about using wool compared to synthetic.. i guess it is just a personal preference. I probably wont end out wearing convertible pants. like you said maybe just tights and shorts. down jacket i will probably end up carrying the whole way.. better safe thn sorry, plus it can be my pillow as well. I wil have a camera with me plus a charger or 2, plus a knife and trail guide. I still have to look into replacing a few items for lighter items. As we all know no gear is cheap!! I appreciate everyones input and thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post

BOARD SHORTS

Pick the lightest, fastest drying, nylon shorts. When you've been walking in the rain, you want to at least hope they'll dry overnight.

You should research boardshorts. I used a single pair of Hurley Phantom Boardshorts without any underwear during my thru hike. They are designed for surfers and the like. Definitely better than a pair of 2" inseam Nike Distance running shorts

Pros:
    -soft, yet durable material
    -dry extremely fast ... faster than a pair of nylon shorts ... they dried out in wet and damp conditions; 40*F; in the 100 mile wilderness
    -super stretchy and comfortable

Cons:
    -expensive ... paid $125.00+7% sales tax for mine, but I used and abused it for 2 seasons on the beaches of NJ before re-purposing them for my thru-hike
    -lack pockets ... many boardshorts are designed with a minimalist approach ... my boardshorts had one pocket

++ New Posts ++