WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default This trail goes right past my house!

My town, Guilford, is in the process of building an official terminus at the town beach which is where the NENST (Triple M) ends at Long Island Sound, and the whole thing has now been blazed. Hikers should know that they can get right on this trail by taking the Metro North railroad to New Haven, then transferring to the Shoreline East Railroad for a short hop to Guilford. If you're in the area and want to try out this trail, PM me if you need a shuttle or directions... or just wave as you hike past!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Eng...l_Scenic_Trail

I was not aware of this trail - very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    My town, Guilford, is in the process of building an official terminus at the town beach which is where the NENST (Triple M) ends at Long Island Sound, and the whole thing has now been blazed. Hikers should know that they can get right on this trail by taking the Metro North railroad to New Haven, then transferring to the Shoreline East Railroad for a short hop to Guilford. If you're in the area and want to try out this trail, PM me if you need a shuttle or directions... or just wave as you hike past!
    Very cool...is there parking at the terminus yet?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Yes, you can park at Jacobs Beach and probably leave your car there for some time (in the summer on the weekends there is a beach fee but you could finesse that), also at the train station you could leave your car for a very long time. (I've seen cars parked there for weeks on end.)

I hope you try out this trail! I've hiked a lot of the part of it in CT and it's beautiful!

Jane

Here is a link to the New England Trail . There is an interactive map on the site.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

What is the name of the spur that starts in Guilford? I thought the actual terminus is the eastern end of the Mattabesset Trail? I was under the impression that the M-M-M was basically renamed the NENSR

Images

I don't know Like! My understanding is, it is the extension of the MMM trail that goes from the end of the East River Preserve, through town, down to the Sound. At one time the trail did end at the end of the Mattabesset on Rt. 77, but after the acquisition of the ERP they routed it further down south. It's definitely marked with blue blazes and I've already seen folks hiking it... very cool...

Images

Does it now run thru the old state archery range on Route 80?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Nice to hear. I'm thinking about doing the CT section in April (if, you know, spring ever comes to New England--no signs yet). I've done the Mass. and NH parts, and they're really nice--better than the AT through Mass in almost every respect.

Does anyone know if there's a recent guidebook for the MMM trail? There's one for the MM trail (the Mass. section), but it's already pretty outdated.

Thanks for posting this. It could be a nice fall hike for me, especially if I had an up-to-date guidebook with maps. Getting to Guilford would be simple enough for me, but are there exit points toward the northern end that are convenient to public transportation?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Thanks for posting this. It could be a nice fall hike for me, especially if I had an up-to-date guidebook with maps. Getting to Guilford would be simple enough for me, but are there exit points toward the northern end that are convenient to public transportation?
    I don't know about CT, but in MA, you'd have a number of fairly easy hitches to a town where you could get a bus back to civilization. Northampton and Amherst are right off the trail about 1/3 of the way north in MA. Further south, where you cross Hwy. 20 you can hitch into West Springfield which is a big town

Further north, the towns get smaller and you'd have to hitch farther to get to a bus station. Greenfield MA has bus service, as does Keene, NH (if you went all the way to Monadnock).

Images

Burger, I could only find what I think you already have, the MM Trail Guide (http://amcberkshire.org/guideorder). The site says it's "newly updated" but then the "latest re-route" info they link to is in 2012 so I'd check the edition on my book. Connecticut Forest & Park has these three new maps for the Guilford section at http://www.ctwoodlands.org/MenunkatuckTrail and I'm hopeful the next time they update the Walk Book they will include these also. The new maps will get you all the way to the terminus.

The biggest question I've had, and have yet to find answers to, is regarding camping on trail. I think this would I'm not sure about MA, but I think the CT Walk book only has 2 listed spots for legal camping (I believe one is a shelter the landowners built?) I've inquired on their Facebook page, with no response.

This being so close to home, I think this trail is fantastic! I'm waiting for a bit, since there's still a few quirks to work out, but it should be a real treat once it's all set.

Images

I think one of these days I'll walk out my front door and camp in one of the two allowed sites and then go back home the next day. If it works... it would be an awesome thing to do with my Girl Scouts. Imagine that, just roll out your front door! And then figure out how to section hike the rest of it in CT, although my friend did stealth the entire CT section a few years ago. As you say, the MA portions should be more hospitable for camping.

With Girl Scouts, or any other youth group, you should be able to get permission to Camp on some state land... That might make it easier!

I'm glad this trail is getting some attention. I've completed all of MA and enjoyed every mile.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chilln View Post
    I'm glad this trail is getting some attention. I've completed all of MA and enjoyed every mile.
    I've done the Mt. Tom traverse from the trail's 141 crossing north to where it drops off Mt. Nonotuck, and the Holyoke Range traverse, in segments, as well as part of the trail's traverse of Mt. Grace. Beautiful stuff. Have done almost all of the CT Metacomet section and parts of the Mattabessett. Intend to hike it all in time - would like to complete the CT part in the next year or so, mostly in the colder parts of the year.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

++ New Posts ++