WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Sorry Hill Ape, I missed the wink.
    I'm tellin ya.. those emoticons are important!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'm tellin ya.. those emoticons are important!
    oh well aren't you ladies talented, next you'll be using a dancing banana, i emot the old fashioned way, i type it out... just don't ask me to write cursive, i look illiterate

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchlives1234 View Post
    Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives
    You will find few if any thru-hikers that actually made it all the way to Katahdin complain about how the southern approach trail ruined their thru hike.

I'd ignore people who just read about it some where and then give advice.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

In fact it isn't even a topic of discussion after the first few days on the trail. No one really cares if you hike it or not.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries
    Images

No. Somewhat traditional to start at Amicolola Falls but hundreds if not thousands of hikers just start or end at top of Springer Mtn. THAT is the official start/end. Have a great time you are in for the most fun and enjoyable and learning experience of your life.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchlives1234 View Post
    Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives
    stay at the Hiker Hostel and take their shuttle to the base of Springer

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    No. Somewhat traditional to start at Amicolola Falls but hundreds if not thousands of hikers just start or end at top of Springer Mtn. THAT is the official start/end. Have a great time you are in for the most fun and enjoyable and learning experience of your life.

I second this! :>)

This is one's for Hill Ape. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    really? where are they?
    Mainly the falls that was a great little hike up the stairs I loved that whole section

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I guess it will all come down to where the first official rubber stamp is for the AT passport.

it's a personal choice and always a heated debate amongst some; what counts is how you feel about it. As far as the "official" AT goes, it's not part of it so there is no "cheating". For me, I repeat, for me, it is starting off on the wrong foot. I can't start at the top of a mountain, I need to walk up it. If I'm questioning <9 miles out of a trek of 2185, well,....an if the first 9 is gonna kick my arse then what are the 2185 to follow gonna do to it. The Appalachians may not be high but there's a lot of ruggedness in them thar hills

Just do what's right for you!!! God knows I'm not there to judge and I doubt anyone here is gonna judge either regardless of your choice, it is all good.

Dunno when you're starting but hopefully see you out there. I'll be staying at the hiker hostel and stepping onto the approach on 25-Mar, trail name is lostandfound, aka laf

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I guess it will all come down to where the first official rubber stamp is for the AT passport.
    In that case the trail starts a Hiker Hostel.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

your coming from the UK! See all you can see, do all you can do!......or not.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Most folks who start at Springer get their ax kicked on Sassafras Mt., which is a steeper climb, but only a mile. The approach is mostly a mild uphill, but at 8 miles, its a long slog. Do the approach and Sassafras will be over before your second curseword.

p.s. I love the arch at Amicalola which just seems to me a great place to start; however, there truly is no redeeming value to doing the steps that lead from there up to the top of the falls, at least not with a pack on. Hundreds of non-hikers do it every weekend, its just not a very legitimate part of the "Approach Trail" IMO; if you do the approach, drive to the top of the falls and have that be your beginning photo op.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

If you want to hike Springer Mountain hike the Approach Trail,
    If you want to Hike Katahdin, Hike the AT from the trail head of Springer Mtn.
    If you want to hike Baxter Peak go to Baxter State Park and chose a trailhead to summit Baxter Peak.

I hiked the approach trail mainly because I just didn't know about the forest service road that goes up (almost) to Springer summit. I gratefully accepted a lift to the top of the falls and camped there my first night, then hiked the seven or eight miles to Springer on day one. It was a nice day and a pleasant hike, and still left time to hike to Stove Creek shelter before with plenty of daylight to spare. No regrets -- aside from maybe missing the hike up the falls.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    sassafras mt., which is a steeper climb, but only a mile.
    it was only a mile
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have always hiked the approach trail on all my thru's and i don't have any complaints about it if anything it added to my overall experience, but all in all it's up to the individual hiker to make that decision, for me it was basically just the ease of it, getting dropped off at the ranger station, weighing my pack, sign in and start walking from their. but if you are really worried about those 8.8 miles kicking your ass maybe you need to re-think the idea of thru-hiking, cause the AT is the single most hardest thing i have ever done in my life and i have done it three times and thats no BS, It only gets HARDER from Springer MT north.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    it was only a mile
    LOL, yep, but that whole section is very up and down, before and after Sassafras, making it seem worse.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

It's cheating only if you're a real hiker; otherwise don't worry about it.

I've started hikes at both Amicalola and Springer Mountain. I enjoyed the approach trail and seeing Amicalola Falls was a nice way to get going. That said, it is "extra" miles. If you do get driven up the Forest Service road, the summit of Springer is about a mile SOUTH. Don't forget to go visit the summit before you start hiking north.

If you want to read more about whether or not to hike the approach trail, check out my web page devoted to the topic: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/ATapproach.html
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++